NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Not really risky. If it's 7th overall this year vs say 5% chance of Jack Hugues/45% top 10 pick/55% outside top ten next year, I take my chances on the second scenario.

Look historically at picks 5-10 it's really not that good. Not much better than later in the first round.

just look at 2016 alone
16CalgaryMatthew TkachukLLondon Knights [OHL]1413760971662017-18
17ArizonaClayton KellerCU.S. National Development Team [USHL]68173148222017-18
18BuffaloAlexander NylanderRMississauga Steelheads [OHL]401102016-17
19MontrealMikhail SergachevDWindsor Spitfires [OHL]6982331322017-18
110ColoradoTyson JostCPenticton Vees [BCHL]5581018122017-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If we passed .. after 5
in 2015 passing after 5 would mean passing on 7. Provorov, 8. Werenski, 10. Rantanen...
Point is there is risk in every draft.. I would not want to pass on these guys knowing what we know now; And there are a lot more picks after these guys in the first that are worse rather than better
No guarantees.
Look at the top picks in 2014
11FloridaAaron EkbladDBarrie Colts [OHL]29150751251932017-18
12BuffaloSam ReinhartCKootenay Ice [WHL]2335670126442017-18
13EdmontonLeon DraisaitlCPrince Albert Raiders [WHL]25371126197682017-18
14CalgarySam BennettCKingston Frontenacs [OHL]2264046861612017-18
15NY IslandersMichael Dal ColleLOshawa Generals [OHL]400002017-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Top 5 vs 6-10 ; Pretty sure Nylander and Ehlers #8 and #9 would be wanted more than a few of these top 5 picks.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's number 2, at the lowest, on every list. I can't imagine anyone having someone other than Dahlin and Svechnikov 1/2.

The lustre of Dahlin is really making Svechikov underrated, he is a legit superstar/franchise winger.

He's a Kovalchuk. I'd kill to get him.

The way he was used at the WJC as compared to Zadina inflamed that 2/3 rivalry a bit. He'll go 2... there is some saying Boqvist because of need if certain teams slide into the 2 spot but I would go Dahlin, Svechnikov followed by Zadina , Boqvist/Tkachuk.... If the Sens take Svechnikov , which I hope we are lucky enough to do, it will be interesting what Boucher/Dorion do with him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The way he was used at the WJC as compared to Zadina inflamed that 2/3 rivalry a bit. He'll go 2... there is some saying Boqvist because of need if certain teams slide into the 2 spot but I would go Dahlin, Svechnikov followed by Zadina , Boqvist/Tkachuk.... If the Sens take Svechnikov , which I hope we are lucky enough to do, it will be interesting what Boucher/Dorion do with him.
Thankfully our guys are able to project more than watching the WJC.

I see zero route where anyone takes Boqvist over Svechnikov, need or not.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Whats everyones top 5 now?

I'm going

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Hughes
Bouchard

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Also if anyone wants to get a look at some potential Sens picks (Zadina, Dobson, Groulx, McIsaac, Gravel), Halifax and Acadie-Bathurst are playing tomorrow at 3:30 EST on Sportsnet

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pierre Lebrun said on insider trading that its believed the Sens will consider giving the pick up this year at around 7th overall. Makes sense, that seems to be the general thought around here too.

Over the last few days there has been a lot of noise discussing this. Almost like the Sens have leaked it in order to condition the fans to the idea. (If that stuff actually happens).

IMO, it makes perfect sense to give up a pick in the third tier of prospects or later, I would assume that's where the 7 number comes from. Although, I am saying this with the assumption that we are actually starting a rebuild. If we are starting a rebuild, there is a very reasonable chance that we're picking around 6-12 next year anyways, and then the odds of us picking higher than 6-12 are greater than the odds of us making the playoffs. It just makes little sense to keep the pick in that scenario unless someone really enticing falls to 7+.

Reactions: DJB

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Imagine if they give up the pick and the player selected in that spot ends up a superstar?
Yikes

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Looking at the Height stat on CSS lists eh :laugh:

All that matters is that they can play and skate. If you can find 6'6 or taller prospects that are actually skilled and have good mobility and speed then they are well worth a serious look and potentially drafting. The main thing to avoid is size for the sake of size. If a player is big but slow and unskilled then they aren't worth drafting.

The CSS lists don't show stats, they only show height, weight, position and league. Why wouldn't you be interested in giant prospects? Wouldn't you want to know if they can skate or whether they have any skill?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Pierre Lebrun said on insider trading that its believed the Sens will consider giving the pick up this year at around 7th overall. Makes sense, that seems to be the general thought around here too.

What restrictions are there around the pick? Does it have to be Ottawa's first round pick or just a first round pick?

If we ended up 7th could we trade down to between 10 or 15 and then give that pick to Colorado?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
All that matters is that they can play and skate. If you can find 6'6 or taller prospects that are actually skilled and have good mobility and speed then they are well worth a serious look and potentially drafting. The main thing to avoid is size for the sake of size. If a player is big but slow and unskilled then they aren't worth drafting.

The CSS lists don't show stats, they only show height, weight, position and league. Why wouldn't you be interested in giant prospects? Wouldn't you want to know if they can skate or whether they have any skill?
Well yeah, I would look at more than their size...

One thing I for sure wouldn't do is look a thing like size and try to find a hockey player. I'd find someone who is good at hockey, and take size as an asset.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
No, we cannot trade Ottawas pick for another lower pick and give it to Colorado...

Really??

Unfortunately, I think if this was a possibility we would have heard about it the moment we acquired Pittsburgh's 1st round pick.

Maybe there's a scenario where if we finish 7-10 we can phone up COL and they might give us an asset to give up the pick. But, that only works if they don't think we're bluffing about keeping it, and they like whoever is on the board enough to take the sure thing at 7-10 rather than holding on to our pick in hopes that it'll be just as high next year.

Something like Ottawa gives 7th overall to COL in order to meet the Duchene trade conditions in exchange for COL 50th overall+OTT 2019 3rd. Just ball parking where the 2nd might be, they have both their own 2nd and Nashville's 2nd.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sportsnet’s 2018 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: March - Sportsnet.ca
I'd have 2 and 3 switched. Dobsob/Wahlstrom at 6/7 is a toss up for me.

Top 10
1. Dahlin
2. Zadina
3. Svechnikov
4. Tkachuk
5. Boqvist
6. Dobson
7. Wahlstrom
8. Bouchard
9. Hughes
10. Lundestrom

Sens will not trade their pick. All these talking head sportscasters look at the draft and the Karlsson trade speculation and the rebuild possibility and it gives them something to talk about. There is no "leak".
Sens in 28/29 will pick no later than 7 imo. The optics would be terrible to give up that pick up to 10. The 10th pick ok sure 10,11,12 not much difference .. But giving up on 3 players in the top 10 ...I don't think so

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sportsnet’s 2018 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: March - Sportsnet.ca
I'd have 2 and 3 switched. Dobsob/Wahlstrom at 6/7 is a toss up for me.

Top 10
1. Dahlin
2. Zadina
3. Svechnikov
4. Tkachuk
5. Boqvist
6. Dobson
7. Wahlstrom
8. Bouchard
9. Hughes
10. Lundestrom

Sens will not trade their pick. All these talking head sportscasters look at the draft and the Karlsson trade speculation and the rebuild possibility and it gives them something to talk about. There is no "leak".
Sens in 28/29 will pick no later than 7 imo. The optics would be terrible to give up that pick up to 10. The 10th pick ok sure 10,11,12 not much difference .. But giving up on 3 players in the top 10 ...I don't think so
Sens will not be giving up the pick, I'm sure of that.

Sportsnet being Sportsnet as usual, always need to be out of the box with something.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
No, we cannot trade Ottawas pick for another lower pick and give it to Colorado...

Really??

I would think that trades are similar to legal contracts, which would mean that the definition of the terms would be important. Depending on the terms of the trade there may be wiggle room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->