2018 Draft: 2nd Pick: Ryan McLeod (F) - Recalled to taxi squad 4/18/21

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It was a good swing for the fences type picks. You want to draft a potential top 6 player in the 2nd round or later? You pick high skill

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
His play seems to tail off as the game goes into late 2nd and 3rd periods.
Happened the last 2 games.

Maybe stamina at NHL speed issue.

He was decent on the dot and should be a natural replacement for Strome as long term 3C.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
His play seems to tail off as the game goes into late 2nd and 3rd periods.
Happened the last 2 games.

Maybe stamina at NHL speed issue.
??? I thought his game came together as he gained confidence into the 2nd and 3rd. Stamina might be, I think it is a bit for Bouchard on long shifts. Not surprising from Junior players, imo.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Like I've said before, getting drafted by his favorite team didn't just light a fire under his ass, it was a rocket.

I hope he keeps progressing through camp and gets to see games against teams filled with NHL players on the rosters.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I remember bunch of Strome Riders in here throwing shade my way about McLeod replacing Strome by next year. This is McLeod gaining some much needed experience, by this time next year, he's cruising past Strome on our depth chart. That is if Strome doesn't hit 35 + points min as a third line C. Then the Oil give him year 2 to play out. If he doesn't do this he's out in my opinion by this summer. 1- 2 million cap savings will be big in the coming season.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
His playing style reminds me of young Sergei Fedorov.
It doesn’t mean I expect him to be like Fedorov but style wise they seem comparable.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
His skating is fantastic but I think that was well documented before the draft. The thing that surprises me the most is his hockey smarts, especially on the defensive side of things. His combination of his stick handling and speed really helps with zone entries and not having to dump and chase to retain possession of the puck. The only thing I could really ask of him though is to see him get more shots off. It's only been 3 games but he has 1 shot I think for preseason. I am excited to see how the rest of camp goes for him and can't wait to see how he develops.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I heard that he was fast but what i didn't know about him (not having seen him play) was that he was such a good distributor of the puck. He has excellent passing skills and he seems to think the game really well.
His skating stride is so silky smooth as well....effortless skater. Definitely NHL caliber.
I dont see him sticking with the team this season but next year is another matter entirely.

I am very impressed. :nod:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah but that's the thing: I don't think Lucic of old is coming back. He's an anchor on that line.

IMO he showed better last night than any game late last season and he was sick to boot. I think that he improves on last season at worst an could hit 25-25-50 at best if that line clicks and so does our PP.

I heard that he was fast but what i didn't know about him (not having seen him play) was that he was such a good distributor of the puck. He has excellent passing skills and he seems to think the game really well.
His skating stride is so silky smooth as well....effortless skater. Definitely NHL caliber.
I dont see him sticking with the team this season but next year is another matter entirely.

I am very impressed. :nod:

Agreed, that has been a pleasant surprise.

He's fine, but he's no Mitch Moroz.

Poor Mitch, I had high hopes for him after his last season with the OK's

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IMO he showed better last night than any game late last season and he was sick to boot. I think that he improves on last season at worst an could hit 25-25-50 at best if that line clicks and so does our PP.

I agree. I think that 50 points is entirely doable.
It surprises me that posters have given up on this player with less than 1/2 a season as a sample size.
I think Lucic will prove a lot of people wrong this season.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
When we drafted him I heard of reports saying he was one of the most NHL ready players in the draft which is surprising to hear for a guy who was rated in the late 1st. Clearly those reports were accurate, he doesn't look out of place at all. I'm really impressed with his defensive game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
When we drafted him I heard of reports saying he was one of the most NHL ready players in the draft which is surprising to hear for a guy who was rated in the late 1st. Clearly those reports were accurate, he doesn't look out of place at all. I'm really impressed with his defensive game.

His 200 foot game is why he played last night

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He has the most NHL ready game when he put an effort in. His biggest issue was he didn't put an effort in a lot.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
McLeod has been so much better than Strome this pre-season it's almost tempting to start him there and have Strome on the 4th line. And even then, Strome would be on wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad