2018 Draft: 2nd Pick: Ryan McLeod (F) - Recalled to taxi squad 4/18/21

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with a Ryan Strome clone out of pick 40. Criticism of Strome comes moreso from acquisition and salary costs (5th overall pick by NYI and Eberle trade with a $3M salary). I don't think the Islanders are as disappointed in him if he was a second rounder. We also wouldn't be as down on him either if he hadn't cost us Eberle and $3M+ salary.

But no doubt Strome is at least an NHL-level player which we should be happy with out of a 40th pick.
McLeod skates to well to be a Strome clone. Hell a great skating Strome would be good for the team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's got a lot of tools to work with. I think Chia/KG selected him knowing that he can play up and down the lineup. A few scouting report has Ryan Kesler as his comparable, yet he says he models his game like John Tavares. With his inconsistency issue it's scary to think he might end up being a Ryan Strome clone. :help:
McLeod could never be a Ryan Strome clone. His skating is elite, while Strome is an average skater at best.

Edit: CycloneSweep beat me to it

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. I only attacked part of the comparison without mentioning that Stromes greatest weakness is likely McLeod's greatest strength.
His skating on Strome probably makes him a 40-45 point guy no questions asked

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
McLeod skates to well to be a Strome clone. Hell a great skating Strome would be good for the team.
You're absolutely right. I overlooked at his skating ability between the 2 players. But is the comparison to Ryan Kesler a fair assessment do you think?

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Not sure if this is an original thought or not, but this guy is a nugent-lite.

His stance and stickhandling are really similar. May not have the same polished skill set, but his speed and playmaking sense have me excited.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think this guy has a long way to go in terms of compete level.

His skills are decent.

If he works hard and commits to battling all over the ice maybe he's got a 2/3rdish line future.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

His stance and stickhandling are really similar. May not have the same polished skill set, but his speed and playmaking sense have me excited.

His skating style totally reminded me of Nuge. Lets hope he and Benson can both prove to be 2nd round steals for us.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Strome already hit 50 points
And McLeod has yet to play a pro game. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's reasons McLeod dropped in the draft. First look he seems like a great pick but to say he will be better than Strome is a reach. Strome went top 5 but hasn't cleared that bet. Yet I hope. I think there's still room to grow for him.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

I was at the rookie game in Calgary and that was my impression as well. Very intrigued by this player.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
It took until his third full season in the OHL to top double digits in goals, so I'm still skeptical. He needs to dominate this season in the OHL because it's his fourth and final year there. I'll be more of a believer when I see that happen.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hated this selection by Oilers but looks like we may have a gem here.
Small sample and all but the kid already looks more polished than our previous top picks. Yam, Benson and even Puljujarvi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad