WJC: 2018 Division I, II, III

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I can't really see a favourite and then the group has Japan, Korea, and GB who have all semi-strong hockey nations.

Korea has been really, really bad at the junior level lately so I really wouldn't consider them among favorites. I think relegation game will almost certainly be between them and Netherlands, just like few years ago. Romania and Estonia has really strong teams.

And I agree, D2A has to be the most intriguing championship.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well I am Lithuanian so I probably have a lot more interest in this level than most people do :)

I'm not saying Lithuanians are very good. In fact, they are not great, as expected. But at the same time, Italy really doesn't have anything going for it this year other than kind of decent defense. We, on the other hand, have Kaleinikovas who is legitimate star at this level and Bogdziul who is still an NAHL player, albeit struggling. Also our forward depth is excellent in general, we have beaten Slovenia in friendly game as well. All those are positives. So basically I expect star power to get us a win against unspectacular Italy.

Edit: One more thing to note, Italy has only 5 19 year-olds on their roster. Just once again proving '98 generation really isn't the best one for Italian hockey.

Ukraine has a lot of good players and a lot of them play together for either Donabass or Kremenchyuk against men. They also have Merezhko, Deniskin - again, guys, who are clearly above this level. Also I've seen most of them play in friendly tournament in Klaipeda a month ago and this is team is above Italy and Lithuania. Unless they screw up.

Kazakhs have the guy who is yet to miss a game for a strong mid-table team in the KHL. Saying they don't have anyone who stands out is like damn dude.. Don't make yourself look bad like that. Their defense is excellent in general and they have pretty nice forward top-6 as well made of MHL scorers. France, meanwhile, other than Texier, have 2-3 guys who could play at the MHL level. Almost all the guys who lead Kazakhstan last year are returning meanwhile France are without Maia, Ville, Gallet this year.. Texier hype train kinda takes attention away from it but those are elite talents by France's standards.

Well Ukraine had guys who played against men last year too, yet they almost got relegated, just cause you have guys who play vs. men does not mean they will do well.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Dominik Bokk will probably getting the most attention on the German team this year, but I'm more interested in Moritz Seider.
He is eligible for the 2019 draft (born in 2001) and has all the tools to become an outstanding defenseman.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well Ukraine had guys who played against men last year too, yet they almost got relegated, just cause you have guys who play vs. men does not mean they will do well.

They also had a team whose average age was 18 years and 2 weeks. 15 out of 21 guys from that team are eligible to return. I'd think they will do better year later, won't they? Last year, they had 3 players who played significant roles in the Ukrainian league (Vorona, Lesnikov, Dyachenko) while they have ~10 now. Yet another great argument on your part.

Also, I didn't say they will do great. I said they won't be even close to getting relegated which they won't.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
They also had a team whose average age was 18 years and 2 weeks. 15 out of 21 guys from that team are eligible to return. I'd think they will do better year later, won't they? Last year, they had 3 players who played significant roles in the Ukrainian league (Vorona, Lesnikov, Dyachenko) while they have ~10 now. Yet another great argument on your part.

Also, I didn't say they will do great. I said they won't be even close to getting relegated which they won't.

Wow, ok, just totally missed the point, w/e.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dominik Bokk will probably getting the most attention on the German team this year, but I'm more interested in Moritz Seider.
He is eligible for the 2019 draft (born in 2001) and has all the tools to become an outstanding defenseman.

I wouldn't say German hockey has regressed but it has certainly become stagnant. Hope to see them back in the top group for next year.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
D1B U20 starts today in Bled, Slovenia.
On this youtube channel video2go.live official streams will be available.

I hope Slovenia will stay in this division, but all teams are good and there will be no easy matches, which is a good thing.
I'm looking forward to a good tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pan

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011

I hope Slovenia will stay in this division, but all teams are good and there will be no easy matches, which is a good thing.

Thanx for the channel. Appreciate it.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Owen Sound player Łyszczarczyk had a huge game for Poland with 2 goals and 4 assists.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Markas Kaleinikovas with absolutely braindead hit to the head in 4-1 game with 2 minutes left to play.. Kids making stupid stuff like that is kind of a classic in junior tournaments but still, absolutely unacceptable. I just hope he doesn't get suspended for more than 1 game which would make him unavailable for Wednesday's game against Italy.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Just noticed that Rubins is not playing for Latvia and was not even on the EL, I guess that's cause he'll be 20 in 2 days, but the event starts tomorrow, so what is the rule on turning 20 during the event, I guess it's not allowed.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Estonia would be a real dark horse team in D2A with Arrak and Kozyrev but the later is not even on entry list which is a real shame.
Both not playing, sadly..
still with Jürgens, Kuznetsov, Nestertsuk I think the will be dangerous each game. If they beat Korea today, they can surprise JPN or GBr too, who knows..

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011

Is there a stream for 1A? Thx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad