Prospect Info: 2018 Development Camp, June 26th - 29th

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Smooth skater. Didn't really stand out in my opinion, but you could see the skill is there. Tried to do a little bit too much sometimes.

I think Ang got faster if that's even possible. He looked really fast and slick.

Tippett's shot looked better too as well.

Hutsko looked good too. Montembeault was really solid and structured. Repo is a man, not even sure why they had him come, he's literally played 3 pro seasons in Finland already. Gildon looked like he added some size, which is good considering he was a string bean last year. Tyler Soy stood out to me in the 2nd group too, good skater, slick player.

Since you know Springfield pretty well, what line do you think Ang and Repo will be on this year?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Since you know Springfield pretty well, what line do you think Ang and Repo will be on this year?

Tough to say honestly. Every line has been a revolving door and they haven't been quick to give spots away just based on potential within the organization. Repo could be top-6 though because of his pro experience. He could take a trajectory similar to Mamin.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Smooth skater. Didn't really stand out in my opinion, but you could see the skill is there. Tried to do a little bit too much sometimes.

I think Ang got faster if that's even possible. He looked really fast and slick.

Hutsko looked good too. Montembeault was really solid and structured. Repo is a man, not even sure why they had him come, he's literally played 3 pro seasons in Finland already. Gildon looked like he added some size, which is good considering he was a string bean last year. Tyler Soy stood out to me in the 2nd group too, good skater, slick player.
Standing next to the man himself, hard to say I saw any different. Great to finally meet ya in person, you got another friend whether ya like it or not LOL

However, as only you know, I moved to Montembeault's end for group 2 but we still saw the same stuff apparently...

All true on Denisenko, and Soy absolutely was the standout of the guys I never heard of before. Hutsko was alright, though not too strong a skater watching him in the drills.

The one time I noticed Serron Noel, they were doing a drill which was basically a cluster in front and you can see the lightbulb appear above his head to play the man and that was pretty much the answer to all of the question I had on him :)

I have to add Inamoto to the mentionables. Most natural looking skater of both groups. Ang def. did get a lil quicker, I hope both of them get a chance at the big stage, I'm really high on them.

Of all skaters in both groups, Inamoto Ang and Gildon looked like they would belong on a pro-level hockey team now. Repo looked like he was embarrassed to be there. the hell WAS he even doing there??

Wait! I found something to disagree with... personally I thought Montembeault looked like shit.
This is actually a good thing because he still looked solid and structured even though he only flashed his superpowers on a handful of shots.
He just looked nonchalant for most of the session, evident because of that contrast between the shots he gave actual effort on and those he didn't.
I'm fine with that, doesn't soil my fanboiii status, seeing as how it seems whenever he doesn't want it to, the puck either doesn't go in or it hits a post and goes in from a shot nobody would stop...

@Great8Cam where were you??? ...and how did Inamoto not catch your eye??

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Guess this goes here pretty well. Sebastian Repo gave some comments to Finnish media, translation of the relevant stuff:

(He's aiming for a roster spot with Panthers.)

- I'm a year older and wiser now. I know how this works and I can go all-out. I don't have to worry about anything now. I have the courage to be myself and play with my strengths. Others will notice that.

(He's training in Turku, Finland with coach Rautala among Laine, Ristolainen etc.)

- I'm focusing on improving my physique to be ready when the training camp starts.

- They would have liked to keep me in North America last year, because they thought I have a chance to play with the Panthers. I will show them physical and straightforward game. I will drive to the net and give hits. I have to be play strong both ways. I know I can bring momentum and energy to the team.

- I have to get a smaller role at first and then climb up step by step.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Repo is a man, not even sure why they had him come, he's literally played 3 pro seasons in Finland already.

I think thats the Argument why they invited Repo.
"We're not trying to beat them up or anything. We're just trying to show them the way and give them some tricks of the trade and see where their condition is and all of that and how they compare to NHL guys. A lot of kids think they're in shape until they see the numbers the real pros have. It's a good learning tool for them and sets the stage for their future training." Tallon siad after Day 1 in an Interview.

What will happen with Tippett another Year in the juniors?? Cause he only could play NHL, not sure how far the Panthers willed to use him a full Season in the NHL or better send him back to the juniors.

Last edited:

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
My son saw Tippett this morning and said he looked good. His shot is insane and so much harder than anyone else in his group and he was ripping the puck past the goalies.

Sounds like he can make the team this year.

Denisenko a very good skater and pretty fast, good hands and an accurate shot, but he needs to work on his shot because it needs more power.

Probably not ready for a few years.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Guess this goes here pretty well. Sebastian Repo gave some comments to Finnish media, translation of the relevant stuff:

Wait wait wait.. what..

That report says europeans drafted. Only 1rst round picks can goto AHL in there first year. Is that true? I've never heard that

Gotta say his comments are encouraging. He says he's ready now. He can only focus on himself (wonder what was last year?). He says he will get a spot on the Panthers but doesnt expect to be on the side of Barkov right away that he'll win a smaller role and climb up from that

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
What amazes me is that we somehow decided signing Michal Haley to a two-year deal was a good idea.. Why not just do a year at a time? Same with DMack... I just don't get it, and now they'll be blocking guys like Repo and Mamin

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Wait wait wait.. what..
That report says europeans drafted. Only 1rst round picks can goto AHL in there first year. Is that true? I've never heard that
Me neither. I'm no expert with these contract details but I don't think that's true. At least that never came up when there were speculations on where Repo would play last season. What did come up already last summer were rumors that Repo would either play in the NHL or Liiga, and I understood that it was because of some kind of an agreement between Panthers and Tappara. Maybe as a "thank you for Barkov" gesture? ;)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Important to keep in mind they're all going 75% or less most likely.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Theres been 3 goals in the 2 sessions ive seen where i was like "and who was that?" and it was Solow

Hutsko looks good. Dunno what was up with him in the skating drills the other day but he's solid.

And Bednard is makin a fan of this goalie too

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellyr

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I'm pretty high on Bednard, size allows him to cover the net really well and moves great for a goaltender that big.

If anyone watched or was at camp, am I the only one that saw Denisenko coast back into the play every time the other team took the puck the other way? Whenever he had the puck on his stick, I felt like something was going to happen, but then the other team would go the other way and he'd glide back in.

Horton, Gildon, Hutsko, Westlund (hands) were some of the stand outs for me. Cormier looked good too.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm pretty high on Bednard, size allows him to cover the net really well and moves great for a goaltender that big.

If anyone watched or was at camp, am I the only one that saw Denisenko coast back into the play every time the other team took the puck the other way? Whenever he had the puck on his stick, I felt like something was going to happen, but then the other team would go the other way and he'd glide back in.

Horton, Gildon, Hutsko, Westlund (hands) were some of the stand outs for me. Cormier looked good too.
Confirmed. All 4 goalies and all of the defensemen did great i thought.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Watched the scrimmage on facebook - agree with the praise for Bednard, Cormier, Gildon and Hutsko.

I thought Tippett would stand out more given that he's supposed to be challenging for an NHL job; maybe my expectations were too high. It's really too bad he's not AHL-eligible next year because that would probably be the best for him at this stage. Wonder how that will turn out.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Watched the scrimmage on facebook - agree with the praise for Bednard, Cormier, Gildon and Hutsko.

I thought Tippett would stand out more given that he's supposed to be challenging for an NHL job; maybe my expectations were too high. It's really too bad he's not AHL-eligible next year because that would probably be the best for him at this stage. Wonder how that will turn out.

I don't think Tippett would put Bjugs on the trade block even if score one or two pretty goals in the dev and/or training camps so he's going to be marinating back into the OHL and going this route also makes things easier for Dalé. Usually the best GM-move is not to make trades. This is the ideal situation when you don't have to rush prospects that have been drafted recently into the show.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I don't think Tippett would put Bjugs on the trade block even if score one or two pretty goals in the dev and/or training camps so he's going to be marinating back into the OHL and going this route also makes things easier for Dalé. Usually the best GM-move is not to make trades. This is the ideal situation when you don't have to rush prospects that have been drafted recently into the show.

Question: Is there something Tippett could learn or get out of the OHL, beside a bit more Hockey expierence. Is there something that he must learn before joining the Pro Level.
I mean we had this Art of Discussion a few Times before. When it make sense t send someone down and when you better keep him in the Pro Level.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Gildon looked head and shoulders above everyone else. His decision making, his poise back there at the blue line, his actual defensive play (like actually defending), all top notch in this scrimmage. Mentally he looked much more advanced than everybody else.

I really liked some of the things Hutsko did too.

Commentators said Repo's up to 215. I believe it, he looks huge.

Tippett started off slow but started to pick it up as the game went on. Became really noticeable as the scrimmage moved along.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad