NCAA: 2018 College Football Playoff/New Year's Six Discussion

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The reality of it all is if UCF is to get it, it's as the 4 seed.

There's no logical scenario in this world where they don't go toe to toe with Bama and get absolutely dismantled in the process. Ergo, the 4 spot will go to a team that may actually threaten Bama.

Like Michigan State did a few years ago against them? Or what FSU did against Oregon or Ohio State against Clemson or Washington against Alabama? Just because they may get dismantled doesn't mean you should keep them out. Every year there's been one semifinal that's been lopsided so P5 teams aren't holding their own either.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
PSU #12.

Boy, a lot of you haters out there sure are going to be mad when we go to the Rose Bowl.

We are.

Last edited:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Not happening with both Michigan and Ohio ahead of them.
Let me make clear that PSU has no business making the Rose Bowl over a two-loss OSU, but man, it sure seems like the committee is setting us up for it. Unless they plan to leave OSU at 10 for weeks and not punish it for a loss at all. Because the odds of OSU losing to Michigan and PSU beating Maryland are pretty strong.

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
If a team doesn't win their conference, they should not be in the playoffs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Bama loses to Georgia, and Clemson beats Pitt...

1. Clemson
2. Notre Dame
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

Like it or not, if Bama doesn't get blown out, they'll get in.

They should. If people want Alabama to disappear, they need to lose more than once in a season.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Assuming that these are the final rankings come tomorrow:

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Georgia
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio State

My hunch is Alabama gets in regardless due to their resume/recent history and how much the powers that be freaking love the SEC, Georgia gets in as well if the Bulldogs win the SEC, Clemson gets in if they win, Oklahoma gets in if they win and either Georgia or Clemson lose, and Ohio State gets in if they win and Georgia, Clemson, and Oklahoma all lose.

In other words, Alabama and Notre Dame are locks, Clemson and Georgia need to win, Oklahoma needs to win and get some help, and Ohio State needs to win and get a lot of help.

I'm expecting:

#1 Alabama va #4 Oklahoma
#2 Clemson vs #3 Notre Dame

Reactions: OmniCube

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I actually think ND would give Clemson a pretty good game.

Yeah, I'm probably not as scared of Clemson as I should be. Seems like the inevitable 2/3 matchup at this point, so I should mentally prep for that game. I'm still not over the loss in Death Valley in 2015, so some redemption would be nice.

member 157595

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Georgia
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio State

My hunch is Alabama gets in regardless due to their resume/recent history and how much the powers that be freaking love the SEC, Georgia gets in as well if the Bulldogs win the SEC, Clemson gets in if they win, Oklahoma gets in if they win and either Georgia or Clemson lose, and Ohio State gets in if they win and Georgia, Clemson, and Oklahoma all lose.

In other words, Alabama and Notre Dame are locks, Clemson and Georgia need to win, Oklahoma needs to win and get some help, and Ohio State needs to win and get a lot of help.

I'm expecting:

I agree with this.

The only hypothetical way Alabama doesn't get in is if Georgia absolutely massacres them and all of Clemson/Oklahoma/OSU crush their opponents IMO. The chance of all those things happening is nil; if Georgia wins at all it's not going to be a blowout.

Georgia's definitely in with a win and definitely out with a loss. Clemson very likely needs to win also but I doubt they're going to be challenged by a 7-5 Pitt Panthers team in this situation. Notre Dame is obviously a lock. If Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and OSU all win, I have no idea who the committee takes between Oklahoma and OSU but I think they'll do everything they can to get OSU in there.

Sep 19, 2008

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Notre Dame
4) Georgia
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio State

I'm expecting:

I thought the final rankings didn't come out until December. Today's IIRC is the 2nd to last. They will have the final ones on the Sunday morning after the championship games.

I remember this because I was out to eat on Sunday morning when Alabama got in despite not making the championship game and losing to Auburn the week before. I was like...of course they would.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
ESPN Playoff predictor has Ohio State at 49% chance to make it, Georgia at 35% and Oklahoma at 33% to make it.

What does it tell me? Ohio State is in if they win and Georgia loses. I am interested in the whole Georgia percentage though. They have a much tougher opponent than Oklahoma but I can see both losing. I don't see Ohio State losing. Oklahoma lost already to Texas and their D has only got worse since then. Pittsburgh winning isnt expected but it wouldn't be stunning either. They probably should have beat ND. They did beat Syracuse who should have beat Clemson if not for a phantom call.

I wish theyd put ND in the ACC already. They wouldn't have gone undefeated with any of the teams we are talking about schedules, especially Ohio State and Oklahoma. They might go undefeated in the ACC if they get put in the right division of the conference, one side of it is clearly easier than the other. I understand ND makes too much money for NBC but the NBC deal wasnt struck until some point in the 90s and no network held rights to their home games. Whoever .let that deal happen sucks.

If all 3 Georgia, Ohio State and CHOKElahoma lose, you will probably see Georgia or UCF. It will depend on how bad Georgia loses. I'm not sold UCF beats Memphis though. Nobody has even mentioned what happens if all 4 lose. This weekend is intriguing. It will likely disappoint though. Ohio state is the least likely to lose of the 3 we are talking about. The playoff is rigged and all about money. Ohio State is a bigger name than Oklahoma. I don't think either has been all that worthy though OSU deserves credit for being a one loss team with everything they went through this season on and off the field. I don't think i've seen someone deserve this spot. Georgia has been good but the SEC East is way weaker than the SEC West. Would Georgia have this record in the other division? They got schooled by a weak LSU offense,

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I actually think ND would give Clemson a pretty good game.

Probably the onlt team they can play with. But I think Clemson is overrated and the ACC is the weakest conference. Clemson hasnr dominated every game and they needed the refs to bail them out against Syracuse who ND did trounce but the starting QB got hurt.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Probably the onlt team they can play with. But I think Clemson is overrated and the ACC is the weakest conference. Clemson hasnr dominated every game and they needed the refs to bail them out against Syracuse who ND did trounce but the starting QB got hurt.

Clemson isn't overrated and you have the worst takes on this board.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
But the committee has Oklahoma ahead of Ohio State, soooo.... Yeah.

If Oklahoma beats the committee’s #14 team, there is no chance Ohio State is getting in over them.

And that means what?

FPI: Oklahoma 5th, OSU 6th
SOR: OSU 5th, Oklahoma 6th

Really its flip a coin.

Purdue was a bad loss but OU lost to Texas who lost to Maryland, who Ohio State did beat. Ohio State actually had a harder schedule. The toughest game for Oklahoma was at WVU and they gave up 56 points. They gave up 40 to KANSAS. I cant say they wouldn't give up 49 to Purdue but I can say I bet Ohio State doesn't give up 40 to Kansas.

Alabama would make Murray a one dimensional QB/ Haskins reminds me of Cardale Jones. Theres no Zeke here but offensively OSU can compete. We're splitting hairs here on the difference but I think OSU is the more complete team even if the results don't show that. Alabama scores enough already, now give them the WORST D? I do think these people want to see competitive games as much as possible, if so Oklahoma isnt the answer.

But I would argue they gave up that many points to Texas the first time and LOST, their D hasnt got any better since, why should I expect a different result? It will be the same game. Only way you see a different result in the end is if they, not texas get the bounce.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Michigan and Penn State are still better than a Texas win. As they are ranked ahead of Texas. Only way Texas passes PSU is if they win which would kill this argument anyway altogether.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Michigan and Penn State are still better than a Texas win. As they are ranked ahead of Texas. Only way Texas passes PSU is if they win which would kill this argument anyway altogether.

I don’t think you’re getting my point.

The committee has already factored in those wins for Ohio State, and they still have Oklahoma ahead of them.

As it currently stands, they have Oklahoma ahead of Ohio State. Of the two games this weekend, Oklahoma is playing a better team, according to the committee. So if Oklahoma were to beat the better team this weekend, how in the world would Ohio State vault in front of them?

Reactions: pdogfizzle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad