NCAA GDT: 2018 CFP National Championship: (3) Georgia Bulldogs vs (4) Alabama Crimson Tide

S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
UCF only played ONE ranked opponent (Memphis who was #20 by the time they played the rescheduled game) while Alabama played 4 ranked teams (going off both team's schedules as listed on ESPN) during the regular season. now that there are FORTY bowl games in college football saying "we beat more bowl teams" doesn't really mean as much. not sure about this season but last year there were teams with losing records that got invited to bowl games. like it or not strength of schedule MUST play a factor. you can't compare beating Austin Peay or UConn with beating FLA St or Miss St. well, maybe in basketball. ;)

They beat Navy when they were ranked in the AP and coaches poll, USF and Memphis. Alabama beat FSU, Miss St and LSU. Fresno wasn't ranked when they beat them.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Based on computer rankings of strength of schedule, UCF wouldn't have made the CFP even if it expanded to 8 teams.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Based on computer rankings of strength of schedule, UCF wouldn't have made the CFP even if it expanded to 8 teams.

You keep talking about strength of schedule, strength of schedule is another P5 toll to keep the G5 teams down. You won't find many if any G5 in the top 50 in SOS. As for the computers Massey has then listed at 9th but they were 1st on 12 different computers. The only other teams to be ranked 1st were Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Penn State. Ohio State was 1st just 4 times, Oklahoma 7 times, Penn State 3 and Alabama 13. The computers like UCF, except the one that somehow has a team UCF beat twice ahead of them in their rankings. I think with those rankings the human polls would've moved them up and they would've been in the top 8.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

They’d be around 4. They went undefeated and were highly efficient

They wouldn’t have made it this year if it was the cfp picking if that’s what your saying. Which is pretty dumb just because they aren’t in p5 doesn’t mean they can’t get lucky. Look at Boise they could have a natty already

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Georgia is going to have to get creative on offense with personnel. They can't sit in 22 personnel and move Alabama. They can use 10 personnel and sub the inside receivers as TE's and keep them flexed so that you stretch the box and use a lot of outside zone with michel and inside zone with Chubb. If they line up and try and run the ball at the Alabama front 7, they'll struggle. Oklahoma was so bad in their run fits when Georgia ran right at them. Oklahoma held up on the edges. Pretty much have to do the opposite against Alabama. Even if its not incredibly successful.
I expect Georgia to run a ton of toss sweeps like they did against Auburn in the SEC Championship game. They have a lot of willing/good blockers at WR and TE as well.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah if they line up and try to run it down Alabama's throat, it'll be a long night. Alabama's front 7 is the healthiest its been all year. They don't need to load the box because the front 4 is so disruptive. If you catch them in one those twists you might pop a big run but is that worth constantly being in 2nd and 3rd long trying? If I'm Georgia, I spread the field and come out throwing it around and using tempo.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Rooting for Georgia. Unfortunately though I'm afraid we're due for another year of hearing "Rowww Tide!"

theprofessor

Jan 18, 2016
Going with the Tide on this one. I really like Georgia's game, but I just think the Alabama defense will once again rise to the occasion.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Voted for The Crimson Tide and the poll is tide, er I mean tied. :sarcasm: I guess it's hard to pick a favourite. I just hope it's not a blow-out and the game is worth watching.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well hard to cheer for a Kirby Smart coached team because well he is Kirby Smart.

Equally if not more so hard to cheer for a Saban coached team because he is Saban.

Hard to cheer for an SEC team for obvious reasons as well.

Smart doesn't seem to be near as scummy as Saban, so I will probably end up hoping for a Georgia win but really nobody wins with this game and it would be nice if both could lose.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Watching the coaches feed. Looks like Mike Gundy, David Cutcliffe, Matt Luke, Kevin Sumlin, Pat Fitzgerald, and Bret Bielema.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Tony Brown with the ball skills. Pat Fitzgerald, David Cutcliffe, Mike "Mullet" Gundy, Matt Luke and Mike Bobo in the film room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad