2018 Calder Predictions

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Kyle Connor led the USHL in scoring as a 17 yr old.

Then he led the NCAA in scoring as a 18 yr old.

Then he scored 17 goals in his last 20 games in the AHL as a 19/20 yr old.

But he is a left winger and so are Laine and Ehlers so he may not get the minutes needed to win the Calder Cup.

Why are you skipping the other 32 games he played in the AHL and 20 in the NHL? Hard to argue you aren't cherry picking hard here....

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Surprised only Flyers fans are mentioning Patrick, with the players he'll likely get slotted with, he has as good of a shot as Hischier.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I honestly think Patrick has the best shot if he's 100% healthy. He's going into a good situation. To a large extent the pressure has been taken off his shoulders. The expectations are probably significantly lower than they would have been had he been healthy and tore it up in Brandon this past season.

Keller would be my other pick.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
boeser is a dark horse. 5 points in 9 games for vancouver last year. Expect him to get some play time with the sedins being a RW.

I'm a Vancouver fan and can't see Boeser getting more than 40 pts next year. We will be a very low scoring team. 40 pts doesn't net you a Calder.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Kasperi Kapanen has a shot, especially since he'll be getting top 9 minutes with some pretty good offensive players in T.O

Besides ineligibility, I wouldn't count on top 9 minutes either. The only guy he could replace in our top-9, as is, is probably Hyman. You can't break up the Brown-Kadri-Komarov checking line.

It sucks but I think it's reasonable to think he could be at least 1 year away before he gets a real shot at productivity. Hopefully Babs moves Hyman down to the 4th line, I truly feel playing him in the AHL for another year or the 4th line will stunt his growth moving forward.

As for the thread- I'd put my favorite as McAvoy. Strome/Keller are the only two that have a good shot.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Its pretty wide open this year, lots of highly touted prospects from the past couple drafts vs the top end of the 2017 draft, it will be interesting.

Votes
1. Patrick- Sheltered minutes, good wingers, depends on his pp time imo
2. McAvoy- Stud D, should get lots of minutes although I'm not sure he will get enough points to win it
3. Hischier- Less sheltered, but last "rookie" in Drai lit it up with Hall on his wing
4. Hosang- Would have been a favorite on JT's wing, with eb's there I'm not sure he will produce enough driving his own line
5. Keller- Also would have been favorite, but Arizona is kind of a wild card time in terms of results with all the changes this offseason.

Darkhorse: Yamamoto- Size is an issue, but it is the only issue with Yama making the next step. He has made it work in every other league and thrived, if he can make it work, he should be slotted in with Drai/McD as his center and could put up some serious numbers

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why are you skipping the other 32 games he played in the AHL and 20 in the NHL? Hard to argue you aren't cherry picking hard here....

Still 25 goals in 52 AHL games on a very low scoring team is very impressive.

NHL numbers include his early acclimation process and post-injury time.

If he plays with top 6 players and gets some PP time he could score a ton this season. His skill and speed are outstanding.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I see a lot of people saying Patrick, but he wouldn't be my vote on the Flyers.

I think Lindblom is a great dark horse pick. He was the best forward in the SHL with a game that should translate easily to the NHL. With the Flyers being somewhat weaker at LW, he could be on one of our top lines.

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
McAvoy, Keller , Hischer
Will be your 3.

McAvoy as the minute muncher Dman playing like a 10yr vet (50%)
Keller as the rookie pts leader (45%)
Hischier as a step below the other 2, but played well enough to get a nod.(5%)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad