2018 Calder Predictions

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agreed, but I think this could work the other way too. Hischier will have a legit shot at top line minutes with Hall. Patrick might not get that opportunity behind Giroux.

Not too worried about that.

Once the Flyers had three real centers last year (they got Filppula at the trade deadline) the average icetime over the rest of the year was Giroux 18:20, Couturier 18:56, and Filppula 17:07.

Patrick is going to be replacing Filppula at C, so he should get roughly the same time. Plus 2nd PP time, most likely. He's also be playing with one of Voracek, Simmonds, or Konecny on his RW, so it's not like he's going to be playing with offensively inept plugs.

So yeah, I do think Hischier will get more opportunities/icetime, but not by too much. We'll see though. I think both will do very very well this year, :)

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'm all aboard the McAvoy hype train but the last time a D won with less than 10 goals was 2002/3. I don't know if he has double digit goals in him as a rookie. He will get the minutes and play solid, and sometimes excellent, defense though. I suppose if he got enough assists...

I think Yamamoto, if he rides shotgun to either McDavid or Draisitl, will win the Calder.

Other close candidates will be Boeser, Heinen, Eriksson Ek, Fischer, and Howden.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm all aboard the McAvoy hype train but the last time a D won with less than 10 goals was 2002/3. I don't know if he has double digit goals in him as a rookie. He will get the minutes and play solid, and sometimes excellent, defense though. I suppose if he got enough assists...

I think Yamamoto, if he rides shotgun to either McDavid or Draisitl, will win the Calder.

Other close candidates will be Boeser, Heinen, Eriksson Ek, Fischer, and Howden.
I think we see a different selection than the standard "goals and pts mean awards" if McAvoy logs all situation mins and solified himself in the top 4 , I have no problem giving him the award ( save from us seeing a crazy offensive year)

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I think we see a different selection than the standard "goals and pts mean awards" if McAvoy logs all situation mins and solified himself in the top 4 , I have no problem giving him the award ( save from us seeing a crazy offensive year)

I hope so but after seeing Carlo play 82 games of top pair shutdown and PK and not even get a single 5th place vote in the 2017 Calder, I don't know if the voters agree. Granted, there were amazing rookies this year headed by Matthews and Werenski but still, no votes.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Yamamoto is not NHL ready, he shouldn't be up.

Keller is my pick. Boeser, Chabot, Connor, Hischier, Patrick and McAvoy are all good bets also.

Honka and Ho-Sang for dark horses.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Gonna take Keller or Chabot. I just love Keller, so there's that.

And I think there's a pretty decent shot Chabot just walks onto Ottawa's #1 pair and has a huge year with EK.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Keller, boeser, hischier, or mccavoy. Its one of those or someone that comes out of nowhere like lindblom. I didnt say patrick because I dont think he will get very good minutes with lehtera, giroux, and couturier ahead of him. I honestly think it will be keller or boeser. Kyle connor might be switched in and out of the nhl so thats why i think his chances are limited.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No offense but seems like a pretty weak crop if Boeser is in the mix. I'd predict a 20-20 season at best for him, which is fantastic for us ... but a lame Calder finalist comparitively to years past.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Kyle connor might be switched in and out of the nhl so thats why i think his chances are limited.

With Thorburn gone, CapFriendly lists Jets to have 13 forwards. Should be plenty of chance for Connor to stay up in roster.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

Now someone please tell me why Connor isn't listed himself there. A site hiccup or something I don't understand of how the site works?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Keller, Boeser, or Ho-Sang

I think Connor will out perform at least two of them.

There's a decent chance he plays with Little and Wheeler, and he was dominant as a scorer in the second half as an AHL rookie last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad