2018 Calder Predictions

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Would've never guessed that a lot of people think that their team's top prospect is going to win the Calder.

Honka will win it

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Keller should be good for 60 points, so I'll pick him.

Ho-Sang is my darkhorse pick (if he's even considered a darkhorse) If he sticks with Tavares all year, he should be good for 50+ points.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
1. Oskar Lindblom
2. Clayton Keller
3. McAvoy
4. Ho-Sang
5. Nolan Patrick
6. Hischier
In that order.

1) "I'm sorry...who?"
2) hockeydb.com
3) type in Oskar Lindblom
4) Oh, I see. Nice numbers. Looks like a 4th round steal. His AHL numbers are just as impressive as his numbers from Sweden

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Re: Connor - it will completely depend how much time he spends in the top 6. Playing with any combination of Scheifele, Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers, and Little will give him a real opportunity to put up 50+ points.

Calder seems wide open next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
1) "I'm sorry...who?"
2) hockeydb.com
3) type in Oskar Lindblom
4) Oh, I see. Nice numbers. Looks like a 4th round steal. His AHL numbers are just as impressive as his numbers from Sweden

He was also named Swedish Forward of the Year this year at age 20...top 5 in SHL scoring.

With the trade of Schenn, a left shooting PP spot just opened up and that is where Lindblom often set up on the PP in SHL...and at WJC. Patrick and Konecny both shoot right so they won't fill that spot.

Plus, He will have Giroux, Patrick or Couturier as his C so he will be playing with talent. He would be a great sleeper pick in keeper pools.

52gp, 22g, 25a, 47p, +16

2nd in league in goals
4th in league in points
3rd in league in EV goals
2nd in league in EV points

Flyers 5th round prospect Oskar Lindblom (6'2") is tied for 2nd all-time in points for players 20 or younger in SHL.

1. Kent Nilsson: 53 (75-76)
2. Oskar Lindblom 47 (16-17)
2. Kent Nilsson: 47 (76-77)
2. Peter Forsberg: 47 (92-93)
2. Henrik Sedin: 47 (99-00)

nvme90

Feb 16, 2017
Maryland
He was also named Swedish Forward of the Year this year at age 20...top 5 in SHL scoring.

With the trade of Schenn, a left shooting PP spot just opened up and that is where Lindblom often set up on the PP in SHL...and at WJC. Patrick and Konecny both shoot right so they won't fill that spot.

Plus, He will have Giroux, Patrick or Couturier as his C so he will be playing with talent. He would be a great sleeper pick in keeper pools.

52gp, 22g, 25a, 47p, +16

2nd in league in goals
4th in league in points
3rd in league in EV goals
2nd in league in EV points

Flyers 5th round prospect Oskar Lindblom (6'2") is tied for 2nd all-time in points for players 20 or younger in SHL.

1. Kent Nilsson: 53 (75-76)
2. Oskar Lindblom 47 (16-17)
2. Kent Nilsson: 47 (76-77)
2. Peter Forsberg: 47 (92-93)
2. Henrik Sedin: 47 (99-00)

Yeah what he said ;)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Huge fan of McAvoy, and don't think there's a true stud forward in this class - Keller and Hischier will probably be the best, but neither is a lock to hit 50. Could be one of the rare years where a dman wins it, and I personally think McAvoy is better than Chabot.

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I'll be keeping an eye on DeBrincat, Chabot and Patrick. Puljujärvi won't be eligible, right?

Cquant

May 14, 2015
This is gonna be an exciting year for the Calder. Lots of rookies coming up this year!

If Shipachev is still eligible for the Calder, he is definitely someone to look out for. Was just as good as Panarin in the KHL and will be getting huge minutes on VGK.

Boeser will be playing top minutes on a line with Horvat most likely. Will be the only capable righty on the PP, so should get tons of PP minutes too. Definitely someone to watch.

Keller, I wonder if he takes over as 1C, I think he might be sheltered a little to allow for an easier transition. Will still be on the PP and should get a nice amount of points.

If Chabot makes it up to the big league, he will still be behind a bunch of great defensemen, I don't see him getting the minutes to push for the Calder but if he does then this guy will probably win it.

Connor, Patrick and Hischier could all contribute, but they might not be getting the biggest opportunities on the PP, and with great teammates.

Either way though, this season will be great!

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
My not so bold prediction...it won't be someone from the 2017 draft like we've had in recent years. Lot's of good talent projected to play meaningful roles this year from drafts prior to 2017.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
If Shipachev is still eligible for the Calder, he is definitely someone to look out for. Was just as good as Panarin in the KHL and will be getting huge minutes on VGK.

He's 30! The cut-off to count as a rookie is under 26.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
Kyle Connor led the USHL in scoring as a 17 yr old.

Then he led the NCAA in scoring as a 18 yr old.

Then he scored 17 goals in his last 20 games in the AHL as a 19/20 yr old.

But he is a left winger and so are Laine and Ehlers so he may not get the minutes needed to win the Calder Cup.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Kyle Connor led the USHL in scoring as a 17 yr old.

Then he led the NCAA in scoring as a 18 yr old.

Then he scored 17 goals in his last 20 games in the AHL as a 19/20 yr old.

But he is a left winger and so are Laine and Ehlers so he may not get the minutes needed to win the Calder Cup.

Calder Trophy. ;) But, PM played Laine on the right side a plenty, and he's listed as RW despite left maybe being hs stronger side, so there may be room in top 6 for Connor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad