GDT: 2018 ALDS: (AL4) New York Yankees vs. (AL1) Boston Red Sox

Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
These Red Sox are basically the Bruce Boudreau Capitals- they basically are a one trick pony that lives and dies by offense.

Can they actually win a low scoring game?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I’ve argued for 3 years that there should be no challenges on final outs of series

Umm, that would be the time you would most want a challenge. Imagine if there were challenges for every other part of the game but an umpire f***s up a call on the last out of a series. I'm sure that would go over really well.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
These Red Sox are basically the Bruce Boudreau Capitals- they basically are a one trick pony that lives and dies by offense.

Can they actually win a low scoring game?

They did hold New York to 4 runs in 18 innings in Yankee Stadium...

Houston throwing Verlander and Cole at this offense is going to be interesting, but I'm still not betting against the Sox.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They scored the second most runs in the majors this year (behind only the team they just lost to) but sure, the offense was the problem.
Many of the posters on the Rangers board said all year they wouldn't score enough in playoffs and they didn't.

This is the second year in a row we said they wouldn't and didn't.

"Do nothing but hit homers" doesn't work against playoff-level pitching.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Well it'd still be two away before it gets into LeBron-Warriors ridiculousness.

In general, rematches rarely live up to the hype.

Pens-Wings 2009- other than games 6 and 7, I think there have been better Cup Final series in the last 10-15 years that went 6 games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In general, rematches rarely live up to the hype.

Pens-Wings 2009- other than games 6 and 7, I think there have been better Cup Final series in the last 10-15 years that went 6 games.

Well Cavs-Warriors II was the best of the quadrillogy, but there isn't really a lot else of recent to compare it to in non-NBA sports. Bills-Cowboys everyone knew the second one would be a disaster, though it was slightly less of one than the first. Baseball hasn't had a rematch since uh...Yankees-Dodgers in 1978?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Many of the posters on the Rangers board said all year they wouldn't score enough in playoffs and they didn't.

This is the second year in a row we said they wouldn't and didn't.

"Do nothing but hit homers" doesn't work against playoff-level pitching.

Cool. They were 7th in OBP and damn close to being top 3. Pitching is better in the playoffs when you aren't facing scrub teams and managers are more likely to pull guys sooner. Imagine that.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Boone rightfully taking heat for this. Let Chocolate Cake Sabbathia dig the hole just a teensy bit too deep, and that ended up being the difference.

I'm not a Yankees fan so I don't have any idea how Sabathia has done this year. In fairness to him that's on the Yankees for having to rely on him at this point.

Even if he was a huge reason why they nearly made the WS last year.

They need to address their starting pitching. Not only looking for an ace but complimentary guys. Sonny Gray going MIA didn't help either.

Same goes with their offense. Need a guy or two with some balance.

Reactions: Machinehead

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not a Yankees fan so I don't have any idea how Sabathia has done this year. In fairness to him that's on the Yankees for having to rely on him at this point.

They need to address their starting pitching. Not only looking for an ace but complimentary guys. Sonny Gray going MIA didn't help either.

The Yankees and Brewers are literally the two teams in the playoffs that can get away with more or less bullpenning, they really shouldn't have patience for any starting pitcher in a short series.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

And last year everyone was anointing them the champs at the trade deadline when they landed Gray. Then they screwed around and didn't want to go for Cole this past off-season. Instead they kept loading up on homer hitters. Didn't work last year (they scored three runs in four games at Minute Maid, a hitters park) but they didn't learn.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cool. They were 7th in OBP and damn close to being top 3. Pitching is better in the playoffs when you aren't facing scrub teams and managers are more likely to pull guys sooner. Imagine that.

From now on, anybody who argues we don't need to address the offense just gets a stupid gif.

Here's your gif

121270-EC844D49-D7D6-45A8-A035-53B31448D9B2-0-1529932307.gif

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

CC was fine this year for a guy who's pushing 40 years old. It's not that he was a bad option, it's that it was an elimination game, and you really should pull your starter at the first sign of trouble in that situation. There's no tomorrow, use every bullet in the chamber to live another day if need be. Boone treated this like it was a best of 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad