Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It would be nice that Ylönen had the same impact as Aho who was also drafted 35th overall and is a finn. Wishful thinking

Reactions: Stive Morgan

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
After all that has been happening and maybe in the future you just have to rename the team. The Montreal Mints. Ok, may have gone to far... or have I? jk, love that the team at itself has been developing, but still there are Finns incomming! Don't worry, they come in peace. :P

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
To this day I still cannot understand how in hell the elite skilled top players like Kucherov, Gaudreau, Debrincat Aho, Point were not drafted in the first round based on talent alone.

It is crazy how you usually cannot go wrong with uberly skilled small forwards.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To this day I still cannot understand how in hell the elite skilled top players like Kucherov, Gaudreau, Debrincat Aho, Point were not drafted in the first round based on talent alone.

Meanwhile youre whining about Kaliyev in the draft thread, K thx bye.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It would be nice that Ylönen had the same impact as Aho who was also drafted 35th overall and is a finn. Wishful thinking

Ylonen is a good player, but Aho's IQ is elite on top of having more skill. Hes a winger switched to center this year and he's now on pace for 90 points.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not sure Aho has more "skills" than Ylonen, both are probably around the same level, but Aho is just next level smart, like Kotkaniemi.

Similarly, I'm not sure Kotkaniemi has that much better of a skillset than Jesse, but he's 100% ahead IQ wise.

Ylonen is bigly skilled.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Just guessing here,but a flaw in scouting? not properly assessing that the player in question is playing with inferior players,hence low output? They had not the most impressive stats as teens,but a possible by product of the whole picture?

To add further of example,I've played forever,in all sorts of levels,when the level is really bad,I could shine like a star,but the better the level,just blended in but still produced. But playing with top level players,including nhl'ers,the look was not there,but still produced better than you would think.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not sure Aho has more "skills" than Ylonen, both are probably around the same level, but Aho is just next level smart, like Kotkaniemi.

Similarly, I'm not sure Kotkaniemi has that much better of a skillset than Jesse, but he's 100% ahead IQ wise.

Ylonen is bigly skilled.

Ylonen has the acceleration, but thats about it. Everything else, including edges, has Aho ahead.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ylonen has the acceleration, but thats about it. Everything else, including edges, has Aho ahead.
I'd say Ylonen has a better slapshot/one timer and his ability to roof it from anywhere is damn near unmatched. He has elite skills, tbh... But he's just so... inconsistent, I guess ? He's so scared of using his tools, he might benefit from a coaching change or something, or maybe he'll never get it.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'd say Ylonen has a better slapshot/one timer and his ability to roof it from anywhere is damn near unmatched. He has elite skills, tbh... But he's just so... inconsistent, I guess ? He's so scared of using his tools, he might benefit from a coaching change or something, or maybe he'll never get it.

Disagree again. Aho has a very precise shot and can shoot in any way (one timer, snap, wrist), from any angle/distance. It's not a coincidence he's been a better scorer than Ylonen at every level. He's still a high end scorer in the NHL level.

Who has a better shot? And I'm assuming we are talking about these two at the same age points?

Yeah. If were comparing them at the same age its not even a contest. Ylonen was being a good player in Mestis while Aho was the best player in Liiga. Remember, Ahos a July birthday.

I like Ylonen quite a bit. He has a good chance of being a good top 6 winger in the league, but I dont see it.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Disagree again. Aho has a very precise shot and can shoot in any way (one timer, snap, wrist), from any angle/distance. It's not a coincidence he's been a better scorer than Ylonen at every level. He's still a high end scorer in the NHL level.

Yeah. If were comparing them at the same age its not even a contest. Ylonen was being a good player in Mestis while Aho was the best player in Liiga. Remember, Ahos a July birthday.

I like Ylonen quite a bit. He has a good chance of being a good top 6 winger in the league, but I dont see it.

When's the last time you've seen Ylonen get in a good position to shoot more than once a game ? There lies the problem, it's not physical, it's in his head.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yes, there are distinct differences in draft + 1 development years.
- 1 year in age difference in their draft year (Aho was 17 and Ylonen was 18)
- One played Liiga and the other did not in their pre-draft year
- Both played Liiga in their draft +1 but one was near pt/game and the other is near 0.5 pts/game.

But you didn't answer the 1st part question... who had the better shot in their draft plus 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad