Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has more offensive talent than Lehkonen.

not sure I agree, certainly not in terms of Liiga.

Lehkonen at 17 - 30 pts, 45 games (.67 ppg)
Lehkonen at 18 - 20 pts, 33 games (.61 ppg)
Ylonen at 19 - 13 pts, 31 games (.42 ppg)

Now Ylonen had a better WJC at the same age, as Lehkonen had only 1 pt in 5 games but Lehkonen also played at the WJC's at 17 and 18 whereas Ylonen didn't. Both won gold but what's more impressive, what Ylonen did this WJC in more of a 3rd line role or Lehkonen putting up 3 goals, 4 pts in 6 games as a 17 year old?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Now Ylonen had a better WJC at the same age, as Lehkonen had only 1 pt in 5 games but Lehkonen also played at the WJC's at 17 and 18 whereas Ylonen didn't. Both won gold but what's more impressive, what Ylonen did this WJC in more of a 3rd line role or Lehkonen putting up 3 goals, 4 pts in 6 games as a 17 year old?
I'm not talking about their career stats. I'm talking about their offensive tools. Ylonen is a better skate, has better hands and a better shot. Lehkonen compete harder and is better all around. It's not just about stats its about potential. That being said the NHL is big step and it's hard to judge how teenagers are going to fare in the future. I think if Ylonen reach his potential he can become a solid top 6 forward unlike Lehkonen who looks more like a 3rd line player.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Stats aside, Ylonen has more offensive potential but less likely to be better than Lehkonen. Lehks is a safe 3rd liner. Ylonen oozes skills, great skater with great playmaking skills and a big, super dangerous shot. If he makes it to the NHL, he'll be better than Lehks, (makes it as in making it full-time, not ala Hudon)

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
This guy can really fly.I think he can skate on a McDavid speed level at times.Very impressive.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Realy good journey for our young man. Its uneasy to find a full hand of better 2018 draftee than him in this WJC edition. I think its fair to call him the most valuable 3rd liner of this tournament. We could be proud of that pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not talking about their career stats. I'm talking about their offensive tools. Ylonen is a better skate, has better hands and a better shot. Lehkonen compete harder and is better all around. It's not just about stats its about potential. That being said the NHL is big step and it's hard to judge how teenagers are going to fare in the future. I think if Ylonen reach his potential he can become a solid top 6 forward unlike Lehkonen who looks more like a 3rd line player.

well clearly Lehkonen has good offensive tools if he was able to outproduce Ylonen in the same league but 2 years younger.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
well clearly Lehkonen has good offensive tools if he was able to outproduce Ylonen in the same league but 2 years younger.

Well, to be fair to Ylonen, the Pelicans are a deeper team at forward and he doesn't get the prime ice time Lehkonen did for that reason. Usage explains part of that ppg gap.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well, to be fair to Ylonen, the Pelicans are a deeper team at forward and he doesn't get the prime ice time Lehkonen did for that reason. Usage explains part of that ppg gap.

Lehkonen had one of the better U-18 seasons in Liiga, surely he has to have good offensive tools to do that.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Lehkonen had one of the better U-18 seasons in Liiga, surely he has to have good offensive tools to do that.
Remembering Lehkonen at the WJC, he was exactly how he is with the Habs, a Finnish Gallagher who scores most of his goals by hard work more than pure skills, Ylonen is obviously less sandpaper but more purely skilled..

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I never said otherwise. Lehkonen shot is good and he is also good skater. That being said Ylonen has better shot, hands and is a better skater. Lehkonen play smarter and compete way harder.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Remembering Lehkonen at the WJC, he was exactly how he is with the Habs, a Finnish Gallagher who scores most of his goals by hard work more than pure skills, Ylonen is obviously less sandpaper but more purely skilled..

Lehkonen's last WJC he had mono I believe, which is why he had only 1 pt if I recall correctly. But that's my point, is Ylonen really more purely skilled if Lehkonen has one of the better U-18 seasons in Liiga history? I mean clearly to do that would take more then just working hard or being more complete. I mean Ylonen is clearly bigger, faster, better skater, but I think some look at Lehkonen now in the NHL vs what he was. Now doesn't mean Ylonen won't progress and could end up being better in the long run just that at the same age, not sure that I can agree that Ylonen has more pure skills as it's got to at least be very close.

I never said otherwise. Lehkonen shot is good and he is also good skater. That being said Ylonen has better shot, hands and is a better skater. Lehkonen play smarter and compete way harder.

Ylonen has a harder shot for sure, not sure if it's better or not at the same age. Agreed that Lek plays smarter and competes more. Just that Leks had such a great year in Liiga at 17, he just didn't do that off hard work and being more complete imo.

It's a good debate, as Ylonen was impressive at the WJC's whereas Lehkonen really shined in Liiga at 17 and 18. At 17 Lehkonen's ppg was closer to that of Kotka's then Ylonen's at 19 was to Leks at 17. Just trying to point out what Leks did at a young age was so impressive, he had to be very skilled to that but in the NHL we haven't seen it as he's smallish, skinny, more average speed I'd say, lacks strength. Ylonen has him there on the physical tools, so hopefully he can be better then Leks.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
like the facts that he's a RH and seem to love to use his shot got a bit of that sniper instinc love looking for free space and shoot as soon as he get the puck

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In the same sense, Ylonen works hard as hell too and he plays a really smart game.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Lehkonen's last WJC he had mono I believe, which is why he had only 1 pt if I recall correctly. But that's my point, is Ylonen really more purely skilled if Lehkonen has one of the better U-18 seasons in Liiga history? I mean clearly to do that would take more then just working hard or being more complete. I mean Ylonen is clearly bigger, faster, better skater, but I think some look at Lehkonen now in the NHL vs what he was. Now doesn't mean Ylonen won't progress and could end up being better in the long run just that at the same age, not sure that I can agree that Ylonen has more pure skills as it's got to at least be very close.

Ylonen has a harder shot for sure, not sure if it's better or not at the same age. Agreed that Lek plays smarter and competes more. Just that Leks had such a great year in Liiga at 17, he just didn't do that off hard work and being more complete imo.

It's a good debate, as Ylonen was impressive at the WJC's whereas Lehkonen really shined in Liiga at 17 and 18. At 17 Lehkonen's ppg was closer to that of Kotka's then Ylonen's at 19 was to Leks at 17. Just trying to point out what Leks did at a young age was so impressive, he had to be very skilled to that but in the NHL we haven't seen it as he's smallish, skinny, more average speed I'd say, lacks strength. Ylonen has him there on the physical tools, so hopefully he can be better then Leks.
Beyond stats, there really is a difference in style IMO since Lehkonen isnt a great stickhandler, decent shot but not a very good scoring touch, not a very good vision, neither is his passing game, he has good speed but not great, he generates most of his offense by hardwork, going in the dirty areas, renlentless forechecker, great positionning and work ethic... Ylonen plays a good 2-way game and is involved alot in all 3 zones but doesnt go as much in traffic and dirty areas, his skating though is elite, he can fly out there, what helps him to get in good position all the time, he has great fluidity and agility as well, changing directions with ease to get rid of his man coverage, he is also a very good stickhandler and can make plays at high speed such as gaining the offensive zone followed by a quick accurate pass that will put the other team on their heels, Ylonen also pocess a very good shot with quick release, he is way more of a natural goalscorer than Lehkonen... I see Lehkonen as a perfect third line player while Ylonen clearly has the skills to be an offensive threat on a top 6... Only thing he really has to work on at this point IMO is his strength, the rest of his game is pretty well rounded, he already competes hard for the puck in all situations, his work ethic is all right, I cant really see him bust at this point TBH...

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Ylonen vs Ikonen?
Who you got?

Well basically Ikonen has barely played since we drafted him so Ylonen hands down at this point. I am hoping Ikonen will show a strong pulse when he gets back and that he emerges as a top 6 ceiling candidate, which is why we drafted him in the 1st place.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I hadn't seen Ylonen until this tourney and his speed is impressive. Watched him a couple times keep up with quin. Hughes while he rushed the puck or jumped in the play is what impressed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad