Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yes, there are distinct differences in draft + 1 development years.
- 1 year in age difference in their draft year (Aho was 17 and Ylonen was 18)
- One played Liiga and the other did not in their pre-draft year
- Both played Liiga in their draft +1 but one was near pt/game and the other is near 0.5 pts/game.

But you didn't answer the 1st part question... who had the better shot in their draft plus 1 year?

You've just changed the 1st part of your question. At the same age, he had a better shot and I dont think its all that close either.

Look at these beautiful goals and hard, accurate shots, do you see Ylonen doing this next year and beating NHL goaltenders clean with slap and wrist shots ?

Ahos the better skater, passer, shooter, puckhandler... Let's be real here.

Reactions: Gsus and HankyZetts

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Meanwhile youre whining about Kaliyev in the draft thread, K thx bye.
I'm not whining I'm questioning his desire/commitment. Nobody is questioning his offensive skills.
I don't see this at all comparable to Aho, Kucherov or Gaudreau who were clearly overlooked because of their size.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
On Aho, his draft year numbers were mediocre, then D+1 he explodes and his numbers are insane. What is it that changed for this guy ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
On Aho, his draft year numbers were mediocre, then D+1 he explodes and his numbers are insane. What is it that changed for this guy ?

Just a small player that needed to put on muscle/mature physically before he could reach his potential.

Too bad we missed him.

But Bergevin told Timmins to get him a dman in the first round, so that's that. (although, I'd think if Timmins knew how good he was, he could have talked Bergevin out of it.)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Just a small player that needed to put on muscle/mature physically before he could reach his potential.

Too bad we missed him.

But Bergevin told Timmins to get him a dman in the first round, so that's that. (although, I'd think if Timmins knew how good he was, he could have talked Bergevin out of it.)

We desperately need to hit on a player like that. Comes out of nowhere 1st liner or top pair guy. Debrincat etc.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We desperately need to hit on a player like that. Comes out of nowhere 1st liner or top pair guy. Debrincat etc.

yeah we drafted Lernout to get that big, nasty dman that everyone wanted and said we sorely needed during that era. Brayden Point got picked later in that same 3rd round.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
You've just changed the 1st part of your question. At the same age, he had a better shot and I dont think its all that close either.

Look at these beautiful goals and hard, accurate shots, do you see Ylonen doing this next year and beating NHL goaltenders clean with slap and wrist shots ?

Ahos the better skater, passer, shooter, puckhandler... Let's be real here.

Dont see Ylonen having a such impact that early in his carreer but his tools are pretty similar, time will tell how good and impactful he can become... Aho's wrister is deadly though, not sure Ylonen has that kind of wrister in himself but his slapper is absolutely great already...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
LOL at comparing Ylonen to Aho. Can we please stop? Ylonen will be a fine player, just dont compare him to a superstar just cuz both are 2nd round Finns.
Very different players.

If Ylonen ends up being a superstar, it will be of the Michel Goulet variety - totally different type of player than Aho - and much less probability Ylonen gets near Aho's level.

Reactions: Legend123

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
From what I saw of Ylonen during the WJC he seems to have incredible speed, kind of like Byron. I feel that he'll surely be able to play in the NHL based on that skill and in combination with being good/great in other areas, again similar to Byron. Am I off in this characterization? I haven't seen him play all that much.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
From what I saw of Ylonen during the WJC he seems to have incredible speed, kind of like Byron. I feel that he'll surely be able to play in the NHL based on that skill and in combination with being good/great in other areas, again similar to Byron. Am I off in this characterization? I haven't seen him play all that much.

He could also be like Grabner: good speed, good shot, not much to some other aspects of his game.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He could also be like Grabner: good speed, good shot, not much to some other aspects of his game.

His speed seems to be in the same ballpark as these guys, he had crazy accelaration from what I could see. Not sure about his shot or anything else, can't comment.

I'm wondering about his defensive game. Anybody can comment on his defensive game? For some reason, I picture him as quite reliable defensively but that's based on very limited viewing in the WJC.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's having a pretty good season. I would say his floor is 3rd line NHL player like Lehkonen. He could progress into something better.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Foot speed is all but essential. What if McCrimmon could skate? He'd be able to demolish the Leafs' stars.

Question: Are there pelicans in Finland?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't see super high end potential from Ylonen but possibly a great complimentary top 6er which would be fantastic. If he plays with skill I think he could produce at a very respectable rate. Plays pretty gritty, grittier than I thought but definitely needs to get stronger. Solid motor. Lots to like. Skill set's very impressive. Elite skater. I'm cautious. He maybe lacking that 'something' to be a significant scorer at the NHL level but that's not really conclusive.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Who does Ylonen compare to in the NHL....just his style of play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad