Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Is he still on the 3rd line? I think he'd really rack them up if he was in the top 6. Loved what I saw from him against Kazakhstan.

Yes. Him and Talvitie are playing with Kakko and Lundell on the 2nd PP tho. Their first line really isn't doing anything, i expect him to have more ice time in the quarterfinal game.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
This is a player I’m second guessing myself. He skates very well but sometimes not in the right position. I don’t think he’ll be a top 6 player. Maybe a bottom 6 one of those energy player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is a player I’m second guessing myself. He skates very well but sometimes not in the right position. I don’t think he’ll be a top 6 player. Maybe a bottom 6 one of those energy player.

I need to see more of him, I'd had some difficulty getting a feel for his play without the puck, not sure how smart he is. Really like the speed, skating and shot but I felt the same about Kristo and Collberg. It's just been so hard to get Liiga games for the 1st time this year, and I try not to put too much stock good or bad into the WJC's. They are fun to watch but I try not to get carried away if they play well or badly since it's a short tourny.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Couple of great passes by Ylonen to set up a breakaway and a 2 on 1, finns still can't convert.

Reactions: dralaf

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Completely disagree, he process the game at a high level and his positionning as well as his defensive game is quite fine... He has everything to become a top 6 player...

Reactions: dralaf

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I need to see more of him, I'd had some difficulty getting a feel for his play without the puck, not sure how smart he is. Really like the speed, skating and shot but I felt the same about Kristo and Collberg. It's just been so hard to get Liiga games for the 1st time this year, and I try not to put too much stock good or bad into the WJC's. They are fun to watch but I try not to get carried away if they play well or badly since it's a short tourny.
It has nothing to do with Kristo or Collberg believe me, he has a much higher hockey IQ.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It has nothing to do with Kristo or Collberg believe me, he has a much higher hockey IQ.

His skill set is definitely Kristo-esque. Similar build. Great wheels and mitts. He should be getting more ice time imo. I've seen him make almost a dozen great passes in the two games I've seen him play

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
His skill set is definitely Kristo-esque. Similar build. Great wheels and mitts. He should be getting more ice time imo. I've seen him make almost a dozen great passes in the two games I've seen him play

Do you figure if a hockey player is as dumb as a post as a human being, that it would translate into limited hockey IQ ? Or are the 2 unrelated ? Thinking of Kristo here.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Do you figure if a hockey player is as dumb as a post as a human being, that it would translate into limited hockey IQ ? Or are the 2 unrelated ? Thinking of Kristo here.

hahaha I'm sure they're related more often than not. That frost bite story...yeesh.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I think the above poster is bringing up Kristo in the way Timmins was bringing up Emelin to discuss Romanov: only comparing one aspect of his game, not the total package.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

I've coached sports for many many years now at all levels. It's easier to coach someone who's dumb as bricks than it is train someone who thinks they are smart. Dumber folk see things simpler, they react faster because they don't overthink things, they make the smarter plays because they follow their training etc.

Granted some dumb folk make dumb plays no matter what.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I've coached sports for many many years now at all levels. It's easier to coach someone who's dumb as bricks than it is train someone who thinks they are smart. Dumber folk see things simpler, they react faster because they don't overthink things, they make the smarter plays because they follow their training etc.

Granted some dumb folk make dumb plays no matter what.

Sure, I get it, like Forrest Gump. Good soldiers just follow orders. But you would not call guys like Sakic, Yzerman, Crosby etc, dumb. The best seem to have some smarts about them as well.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Sure, I get it, like Forrest Gump. Good soldiers just follow orders. But you would not call guys like Sakic, Yzerman, Crosby etc, dumb. The best seem to have some smarts about them as well.

True but for everyone Stevey Y there's a dozen great players who show that they really aren't good at anything outside of hockey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

wasn't saying he didn't but I liked all 3 for the same reasons of speed, skating shot and I'm not sold on Ylonen's IQ not compared 2 those 2 just in general because I haven't seen enough of him yet. Not talking about his WJC play as I haven't watched too much of of the games.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Couple of great passes by Ylonen to set up a breakaway and a 2 on 1, finns still can't convert.
That's always the case with Finnish players, junior or senior. They are afraid to score. I call it the Raipe Effect - Raimo Helminen was a Finnish hockey legend who would get a primary pass even on top of the goal line :D

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I really don't know what to think of him ! He as some good skills but will they translate in the pro ? Can he be better then Lehkonen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad