Prospect Info: [2018 - 35th] Jesse Ylönen (Liiga - Pelicans) On loan to Laval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ylonen's moved up a league though. He was in Mestis last year and is only in his first year of Liiga. He's going to need some adjustment time.

Kupari was always the more highly rated prospect and he's in his second year of Liiga.

Ylonen always was 3 years away from N.A. It's way too early to make any kind of statement about his game.
that was supposed to be a favorable comparison.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
didn't have time to see the game today, he played a season low 11:15 and was a -1 in the SO win. He was pointless and also missed on his SO chance. Before today's game he was playing a steady 14+ minutes a game although it's only 6 games in. I plan on watching a few of his games coming up though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My eyeball analysis is that about 1 in 3 2nd rounders can make it in some capacity on the NHL. About 3 2nd rounders a year become top 6F or top 4D.

So if TT hits one of the last few years worth of the 2nd round picks he is batting about average. But I think he owes us another one.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My eyeball analysis is that about 1 in 3 2nd rounders can make it in some capacity on the NHL. About 3 2nd rounders a year become top 6F or top 4D.

So if TT hits one of the last few years worth of the 2nd round picks he is batting about average. But I think he owes us another one.
So 1 in 11 2nd round picks become top 6 forwards or top 4d. Sounds about right: only expect much from 1 in every 11 2nd round picks.

So if we look at Trevor Timmins' work, he's had 10 2nd rounders that we can assess (way too early to assess 2017 and 2018 drafts) and apparently the 2nd rounders in 2003 (Lapierre and Urquart) were Andre Savard's choices.

So Timmins, with the 10 2nd rounders he's had from 2004 to 2016 has found 2 top 6 forwards (Lehkonen and Latendresse before his concussion problems) and 1 top 4 dman, really a first pairing dman, PK Subban. So he's 3 times better than the average.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This is actually no joke. There are a number of posters with really top notch insight into prospects and other things. As a collective, this board is pretty sharp.

I wouldn't say as a collective, but I do agree that there are a significant number of people on here that have seriously good scouting/strategy/etc. minds on here.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Kid is coming off an injury. I still don’t know what it was but this could be a factor. Just speculation.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kid is coming off an injury. I still don’t know what it was but this could be a factor. Just speculation.

Didn't seem to affect him too much in the first game of the season. I think this is just normal adjustment. I'm signing up for Telia right now so I'll be able to comment more in the near future.

Reactions: G0bias and Mrb1p

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Didn't seem to affect him too much in the first game of the season. I think this is just normal adjustment. I'm signing up for Telia right now so I'll be able to comment more in the near future.
Thanks! Still don’t know what the injury was.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

his team is having a good game so far today.

Getting a little worried as I tried to watch the game and all my usual ways didn't work and other times I noticed they didn't have any liiga games but had all the other leagues. How does Telia work, do you have to be in Finland to pay for it?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
his team is having a good game so far today.

Getting a little worried as I tried to watch the game and all my usual ways didn't work and other times I noticed they didn't have any liiga games but had all the other leagues. How does Telia work, do you have to be in Finland to pay for it?

Looks like you need a finnish bank account.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
well that sucks. wonder why there aren't any games being shown from just liiga. I've watched a few of Romanov's games and one Olofsson. Didn't have any trouble watching Ikonen's games last year.

Yeah, I'm not happy about them switching to Telia from Ruutu+ either. Used to be that you just needed a Finnish phone number to do the registration, or you could even do it through facebook, and it used to be half the price.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I watched the first two periods of his game against TPS. He's really overthinking things. Someone needs to tell him to be a little selfish and shoot the puck. He was involved with 3 pretty dangerous offensive plays that I can remember, and he always off-loaded the puck. He got a tip in front of the net, but just got too much wood on it. All in all it was a solid game, one in which he didn't hurt his team at all. He needs to use his speed to create angles on people and let 'er rip.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's up with him? Anyone watching his games?

it used to be you could watch free streams if you knew where to find them but this year they changed to a new service provider Telia and for whatever reason it looks like all the sites that had the games last year don't have them this year so unless something changes it doesn't look like too many will get to see Liiga games unless they have access to a Finish bank account.

The best we can do so far is watch some HD clips on this site, here's Ylonen at the 4 minute mark but it's not good.

Videokooste: Pelicans - Sport 4.10.2018

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i feel like ylonen would of been a guy who would have benefit from playing in the AHL this season on an NA ice, he's speed and tight space decision are realy good.

Reactions: dralaf

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
i feel like ylonen would of been a guy who would have benefit from playing in the AHL this season on an NA ice, he's speed and tight space decision are realy good.
Can the habs step in buy out his contract and send him down to the A? Would be great esp if send Kotkaniemi down as well. They can form some quick chemistry tgtr.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah he is fast but needs to get stronger...

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
well that sucks. wonder why there aren't any games being shown from just liiga. I've watched a few of Romanov's games and one Olofsson. Didn't have any trouble watching Ikonen's games last year.

There are apps for the amazon fire stick that lets give you channels from all around the world. What station would the games be on? I could check to see it it’s available on there.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I watched the first two periods of his game against TPS. He's really overthinking things. Someone needs to tell him to be a little selfish and shoot the puck. He was involved with 3 pretty dangerous offensive plays that I can remember, and he always off-loaded the puck. He got a tip in front of the net, but just got too much wood on it. All in all it was a solid game, one in which he didn't hurt his team at all. He needs to use his speed to create angles on people and let 'er rip.

That's reassuring. If he's creating still then that's a plus. Seeing these highlights where he isn't even scoring are still impressive. The speed and skill are definitely there. Seems like he has a good motor too. Hope it isn't the dreaded 'hockey IQ' problem.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Can the habs step in buy out his contract and send him down to the A? Would be great esp if send Kotkaniemi down as well. They can form some quick chemistry tgtr.
It would be amazing for the rocket and for both of their development in my opinion, circonstances plays a huges role in the development and i think ylonen + kotkaniemi could benefit from each other, kotkaniemi playing in a top C role, in a lesser league but with a talented winger! Ylonen getting playing NA ice with a great center who is already above average at 18!

Reactions: Legend123

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
On 9-26 he had his 2nd highest TOI at 14:30, since then in the next 5 games his TOI has dropped to the lowest of the season, with the previous 4 games all in the 11 to 11:51 range but today he dropped to 8:36. Ikonen had his share of troubles early on although so far much worse, in 26 games he had 2 assists. Now he did end up putting up 12 pts in the next 26 games.

There are apps for the amazon fire stick that lets give you channels from all around the world. What station would the games be on? I could check to see it it’s available on there.

I just know that the service is Telia, and you have to have a Finnish bank account to purchase so I assume they are the tv provider as well but someone from Finland would need to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad