Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
But for how much longer will he be worth it?
Is it really worth potentially being stuck with a declining asset...maybe if we are a cup contender..and I'm really skeptical about that happening next year
One of the biggest misconceptions about any rebuilding team is the weird notion that having any good vets is a bad thing. It isn't, because they are there to insulate and teach the younger guys, be that passively or directly.

Henrique's contract isn't going to be an albatross that prevents us from doing anything since the years when it really might not reflect his production coincide with getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler's contracts coming off.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Might as well trade Fowler and Manson with that logic... Both similar age to Rico, both having a bad year, both may decline in the future so let's move them now (when their value is at their lowest).
Fowler, yes. He's expensive and not playing well.

Manson is significantly more important to team success and unique compared to either of them

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Manson is significantly more important to team success and unique compared to either of them
I'm worried the next injury Fowler gets will be the one that turns his contract into a hard to move one.
Manson despite the way he plays seems Durable like a Bull.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The Ducks wont do a full teardown, but they wont be competing for 2-3 years until our young forwards are ready.

Henrique is a luxury the Ducks don't need in the next 2 years. Give our handful of center prospects 2 years to develope and they will be good for the second line. And then we will have a 6 mil 3rd line center until age 35.

The owners will not accept 2 more years of not competing. I guarantee that Murray is selling it to the owners to suck it up this year but we’ll be back next year. The reality is that we need Rico. We don’t want to force a young player into a role they’re not ready for. See Terry as exhibit A. I don’t see how you’re calling him a luxury either. That implies that we have more than one 2nd line center option right now; we don’t.

If the objective was to tear down the team and rebuild, than sure, but that’s clearly not going to happen. However if the goal is to compete next season, we need a 2nd line center. Now if someone offers overpayment for Rico, than yeah I think Murray should consider it because of that contract. However it’s not in our best interest to trade him for anything less than overpayment imo.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

And moving Fowler hurts our defense now and in the future. Larsson showed he wasn't good enough for top 4 competition, was hardly good enough for bottom pairing competition. Mahura isn't ready either, but moving Fowler means forcing them into the lineup when they aren't ready.

At this point it seems people just want to ice a team of Getz, Kase, Rakell, Ritchie, Sprong, Grant, Lindholm, Manson, Montour and Gibson. Everyone else should just be traded for picks.

Reactions: 11Justin93

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
And moving Fowler hurts our defense now and in the future. Larsson showed he wasn't good enough for top 4 competition, was hardly good enough for bottom pairing competition. Mahura isn't ready either, but moving Fowler means forcing them into the lineup when they aren't ready.

At this point it seems people just want to ice a team of Getz, Kase, Rakell, Ritchie, Sprong, Grant, Lindholm, Manson, Montour and Gibson. Everyone else should just be traded for picks.
Yeah pretty much. Those are the players I'd build around (with the exception of Grant). I'd add Terry and Steel/Lundestrom to the mix next season. Maybe Jones or Comtois if they prove to be ready. I'd lose as many games possible and get a good center this season. We'd get multiple firsts for Silfverberg/Fowler/Henrique. Then I'd look for a left handed dman in free agency.

Folks keep saying they want a retool and not a rebuild...well, if you want to retool you have to move some of your favorite players still.

Next season will be another transitional year as we let the youth grow. People thinking we can contend that quickly are in for a surprise. I think 2 years from now is where we could start to be dangerous again, if we execute our draft picks

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Yeah pretty much. Those are the players I'd build around (with the exception of Grant). I'd add Terry and Steel/Lundestrom to the mix next season. Maybe Jones or Comtois if they prove to be ready. I'd lose as many games possible and get a good center this season. We'd get multiple firsts for Silfverberg/Fowler/Henrique. Then I'd look for a left handed dman in free agency.

Folks keep saying they want a retool and not a rebuild...well, if you want to retool you have to move some of your favorite players still.

Next season will be another transitional year as we let the youth grow. People thinking we can contend that quickly are in for a surprise. I think 2 years from now is where we could start to be dangerous again, if we execute our draft picks

I absolutely agree with that, especially with the notion of being able to pry multiple firsts or great prospects for the likes of Silf, Fowler, and Henrique. Reality is that we will not see Playoff contention until 2021, if at all. While our core might still be very good, we have too many players on contracts not reasonable for our team who might be interesting enough for other teams as their "missing pieces" for a deep run. I'm sure Toronto, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay et al would love to have Fowler or Silfverberg if they all could fit them under the cap.

Imagine we could sell all three (Silf, Fowler, Henrique) for just picks and prospects. We'd probably land two firsts and two good prospects in total. Picking three times in the first round in a draft this deep could land us one elite forward with our own pick and two players with great upside but maybe 1-2 more years of seasoning somewhere else and would also mean that we do actually have some big bucks to spend on free agents, even though California tax laws apparently scare away some of the top-tier FAs. Still, we'd have good chances at landing a second-tier FA for a somewhat reasonable contract that will expire once the young guns really get it going, and I'd certainly expect all top-6 or top-7 picks from this year's draft to make it to the show immediately and staying there.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

On board with this

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
because you still need to ice a lineup. You can't just move every B player a team has, you still need some kind of nhl caliber talent, if you don't then you're doing a full rebuild which with this roster is pointless when our D core is still young and we have Gibsonl not to mention how a team with a center core of Getz, Grant, Rowney, and whoever is going to preform is going to kill attendance more than it already has. As I've said before, just let this season be a wash, fire Randy, and see what this roster can do with a competent coach and go from there. We don't need to be tearing things down just yet.

Real life isn't like EA NHL.
To me when I look at the argument for keeping vs trading him it is pretty clear we are better off trading him. Moving him at the tdl isnt going to kill our attendance...we are already horrible. I havent seen a valid reason to keep him yet. You mentioned you dont want to put the rookies in the nhl... then dont.

Oct 18, 2011
How can you say he is not worth his contract? Look at the contracts for 2Cs around the league and then say that. This is the going rate.
I'll be honest I hated that contract when it was signed, i don't think he's worth the money and he's signed for too long. Witg our cup window closed I don't think it's helpful to have a B or B- player on a contract like his

Like if we were good..ok but this team is bad. It's a bad team carried by 1 player you've got to hit the reset button eventually and restock your organization and clear your cap for moves down the road

Just because you unload this money now doesn't mean you don't reinvest it later.

Anaheim needs to punt this season, gain more financial flexibility and collect assets.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Oct 18, 2011
Might as well trade Fowler and Manson with that logic... Both similar age to Rico, both having a bad year, both may decline in the future so let's move them now (when their value is at their lowest).
Yes. I think you trade Fowle and Henrique if you find good deals.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
For the people thinking we could get a 1st for Rico/Fowler, why would a team give us a first for them? People here don’t think he’s good enough to even keep and don’t think his contract will be worth it, so why would another team want it? Same with Fowler, so many folks talk like he’s barely an nhl player most nights but people want a big return for him. If you don’t think these players just entering their prime years are worth keeping around for a retool because you hate their contracts, then why would other teams offer good value back for them?

Trading anyone like that now would be selling them at their lowest just to clear some cap even though we don’t need to at this moment.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
A first by itself isn't much. Muzzin got a first and more.

A first has a 40-50% chance of becoming an NHLer.

As to selling them at their lowest... the people who advocate it are likely worried the values will drop further. That may or may not be true, but "lowest to this date" means nothing if you believe that.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For the people thinking we could get a 1st for Rico/Fowler, why would a team give us a first for them? People here don’t think he’s good enough to even keep and don’t think his contract will be worth it, so why would another team want it? Same with Fowler, so many folks talk like he’s barely an nhl player most nights but people want a big return for him. If you don’t think these players just entering their prime years are worth keeping around for a retool because you hate their contracts, then why would other teams offer good value back for them?

Trading anyone like that now would be selling them at their lowest just to clear some cap even though we don’t need to at this moment.
Omg people exgerate on the internet.

Muzzin got a 1st, good prospect and solid prospect. Fowler would get more.

Your whole post is dumb tho.... just cause fans hate on a player doesnt dictate his actual value.

No one hates on henrique, just kinda a luxury.... he has value and if were rebuildin hes noy needed

Oct 18, 2011

If you don't think Fowler or Henrique will return much and aren't valuable to other teams then why are you so insistent on keeping them?

Oct 18, 2011
A first by itself isn't much. Muzzin got a first and more.

A first has a 40-50% chance of becoming an NHLer.

As to selling them at their lowest... the people who advocate it are likely worried the values will drop further. That may or may not be true, but "lowest to this date" means nothing if you believe that.
You do run the risk of them being alot harder to move later on, Henriques value im particular isn't going to improve.

Fowler I'd like to see under good coaching in a free flowing system, but if it's a seller's market you can probably still get good value back. A team like Buffalo is desperate to make the playoffs and has been connected to him for years

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
I absolutely agree with that, especially with the notion of being able to pry multiple firsts or great prospects for the likes of Silf, Fowler, and Henrique. Reality is that we will not see Playoff contention until 2021, if at all. While our core might still be very good, we have too many players on contracts not reasonable for our team who might be interesting enough for other teams as their "missing pieces" for a deep run. I'm sure Toronto, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay et al would love to have Fowler or Silfverberg if they all could fit them under the cap.

Imagine we could sell all three (Silf, Fowler, Henrique) for just picks and prospects. We'd probably land two firsts and two good prospects in total. Picking three times in the first round in a draft this deep could land us one elite forward with our own pick and two players with great upside but maybe 1-2 more years of seasoning somewhere else and would also mean that we do actually have some big bucks to spend on free agents, even though California tax laws apparently scare away some of the top-tier FAs. Still, we'd have good chances at landing a second-tier FA for a somewhat reasonable contract that will expire once the young guns really get it going, and I'd certainly expect all top-6 or top-7 picks from this year's draft to make it to the show immediately and staying there.
This sounds like a fantasy. Look at our non-lottery first round picks and how long it took them to make an impact. Larsson, Theodore, Rackell, Etem, Holland, Palmeiri. None of those guys were effective nhl players within 4 years of being drafted and it looks to be the same for Jones and Steel.

Reactions: Masch78

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

I’m not at all sold it’s selling them at their lowest. As we know with aging players, it can get a lot lower

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

First of all, no one realistically thinks Rico and Fowler are not NHL caliber players. Rico is a very clear 2c and that is the perfect asset trade to a contender that would want to put him on their third line as a 2c caliber guy. Huge demand for that and should easily get a 1st. While I do feel selling Fowler now is potentially selling him low because of rc's system makes him look worse than he is, he still has a ton of value. He is like a 2d right now. That would fetch a ton.

And the reason why you sell is because we will be crap through the next year or two and their talents are wasted during those years and their value starts dropping. We need to build our talent pool to be good for the next 5 years after coming out of our retool /rebuild. holding onto these guys will make us better for a year or two after the retool / rebuild but much worse in the longer run.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This sounds like a fantasy. Look at our non-lottery first round picks and how long it took them to make an impact. Larsson, Theodore, Rackell, Etem, Holland, Palmeiri. None of those guys were effective nhl players within 4 years of being drafted and it looks to be the same for Jones and Steel.
Next year we are going to suck so I'm cool with letting the young guys grow into the position if it gives us another 1c and another good draft pick that year. The year after that will be Steel, Terry and Jones 4th year. That is also when these horrible salaries start coming off. That should be the target year to push for the playoffs. We can use whatever salary savings and fill a whole if we need to to round out the team.

What am I missing?

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Next year we are going to suck so I'm cool with letting the young guys grow into the position if it gives us another 1c and another good draft pick that year. The year after that will be Steel, Terry and Jones 4th year. That is also when these horrible salaries start coming off. That should be the target year to push for the playoffs. We can use whatever salary savings and fill a whole if we need to to round out the team.

What am I missing?

You and others on here seem to be missing quite a bit...

1) This organization is apparently only profitable if we make the playoffs. The Samuelis and Murray will not be on board with any moves that cripple the chance to be competitive next year, after this season's disappointment and likely playoff miss.

2) Even a partial tear down can go sideways and end up into a full rebuild, and there is a good chance the Ducks wouldn't be able to weather a prolonged rebuild if it does the way of Edmonton or Buffalo. Once a losing mentality spreads into a locker room you run the risk of it taking years to rebuild a winning culture. Filling holes in your lineup with prospects that aren't ready yet is how you get mired in an Edmonton or Buffalo rebuild.

3) None of our prospects look ready for full time NHL action right now and most, if not all, will likely need some of next year to get there. Even guys that are further along line Terry and Steel and Jones won't be getting into their productive years for another season at least. They might make the team out of camp but we shouldn't expect them to be Calder candidates. Bringing them into a lineup with h0les in it means we can't insulate them as much and that is not how you want to develop young players.

4) The organization just committed on long-term extensions to Fowler and Henrique. Moving either is a bad look for a team that already kind of struggles to draw in bigger name UFAs and could be remembered by guys like Gibson, Lindholm, Rakell, Manson, etc when it comes time for them to re-sign after their current deals. In general, trading a guy after you re-signed them long term is not a common practice in this league for these reasons.

5) Even if you wanted to move Fowler and/or Henrique, moving them for futures won't have a measurable impact on the team for years. There is no way Murray would move either guy unless it is a hockey trade for a comparable player that is perhaps younger or more cost-controlled. If you think otherwise, you've just not been paying attention to how Murray operates.

6) Assuming the above point is wrong and we swap those guys and others and somehow accumulate multiple 1st round picks for this year and next, there is no guarantee any of them will pan out into impact players or players that are the caliber of Fowler and Henrique.

7) The guys people are talking about trading are still in their prime years and young enough to still be playing at the same level by the end of their current contracts, meaning they will still command the same trade value a few years from now (if not more) and you can still get several more seasons of productivity from them.

8) Neither the Fowler or Henrique contract are reasons for our cap issues. Both of those players are paid what comparable players in those positions would be paid elsewhere. It is the Kesler and Eaves contracts that are impacting the cap. Eaves can be bought out this offseason with minimal cap implications. Kesler looks like he is well on his way to an LTIRetirement that shouldn't be too much of a cap burden because I recall that his contract is at least partially insured. If things really get tight, you can always move a bad contract in this league if you sweeten the deal with enough assets. It might not be palatable for most of you, but moving assets to get rid of and LTIR'ed Kesler deal is not a big issue and won't cripple our prospect pool too much.

9) We are already very quietly doing a re-tool and are already over a year into it. Tearing down more is not necessary. We just need to be patient while the bad contracts are dealt with and the good prospects are ready to produce. This could be as soon as next season or the season after, so why move quality players that you don't have to if you aren't even going to jump start a retool by doing so????

10) No big moves of core players should be done until this team has a new coaching staff. Right now it is impossible to gauge what this team is capable of doing when healthy and playing under a different coach. This applies to Fowler and Montour especially because our defense has been a mess all season due to coaching/systems/team structure/heart/injuries/accountability (yeah I said it), and various other reasons. You trade these guys to a team with a top coaching staff and see what they can actually do in a better environment and you will regret it.

11) Fowler and Henrique are both players that could potentially be exposed at the next expansion draft, which would give us some added cap room and prevent losing better, younger talents. Not an ideal solution, but it is something to consider. Personally I'd rather lose a guy around 30 years old at a 5 or 6 million per year contract to Seattle than one of our best players in their 20s on a more affordable contract.

12) Big moves that involve players with high dollar salaries and lots of term rarely happen for futures during the season. Even if you wanted to pull something like this off, it would have to wait until the draft or free agency when more teams are on the market and all teams know their cap situations for next season better. Doing something now limits the amount of teams that you can trade with, and that limited market means the value coming back goes down.

13) This season sucks but we will be getting a mid to high 1st round pick and should get a late first from a Silf trade. We can grab a good center prospect and a good D prospect from those and still be in a good position moving forward without moving a core player. We'll still have some promising young players in the system after guys like Steel, Terry, Jones, Mahura, Larsson, Lundestrom, and Comtois make the jump over the next year or two. In fact, our system is actually fairly stocked at the moment and many look ready to contribute over that time span so the more I type this out the more insane it sounds to want to move good roster players with NHL experience for futures that we don't really lack in at the moment. What is the goal here? To have an entire roster under 25? What team has ever made that work?

I don't care about anyone's response to this. Just pick one of the reasons above and go with it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
“Team is only profitable” when they’re winning is nonsense for 2 reasons:

1) Henry and Susan’s wealth goes up by owning the Ducks no matter what happens on the ice. You manage the balance sheet more than the income statement with an investment like that

2) they claim to be losing money even when the team is successful

That being the 1st of your points for why we shouldn’t sell is just really weird to me. Team is horrible with Fowler this season, as if trading him is going to lower attendance. It’s already going to be bad if they don’t rebuild/retool properly

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
You and others on here seem to be missing quite a bit...

1) This organization is apparently only profitable if we make the playoffs. The Samuelis and Murray will not be on board with any moves that cripple the chance to be competitive next year, after this season's disappointment and likely playoff miss.

2) Even a partial tear down can go sideways and end up into a full rebuild, and there is a good chance the Ducks wouldn't be able to weather a prolonged rebuild if it does the way of Edmonton or Buffalo. Once a losing mentality spreads into a locker room you run the risk of it taking years to rebuild a winning culture. Filling holes in your lineup with prospects that aren't ready yet is how you get mired in an Edmonton or Buffalo rebuild.

3) None of our prospects look ready for full time NHL action right now and most, if not all, will likely need some of next year to get there. Even guys that are further along line Terry and Steel and Jones won't be getting into their productive years for another season at least. They might make the team out of camp but we shouldn't expect them to be Calder candidates. Bringing them into a lineup with h0les in it means we can't insulate them as much and that is not how you want to develop young players.

4) The organization just committed on long-term extensions to Fowler and Henrique. Moving either is a bad look for a team that already kind of struggles to draw in bigger name UFAs and could be remembered by guys like Gibson, Lindholm, Rakell, Manson, etc when it comes time for them to re-sign after their current deals. In general, trading a guy after you re-signed them long term is not a common practice in this league for these reasons.

5) Even if you wanted to move Fowler and/or Henrique, moving them for futures won't have a measurable impact on the team for years. There is no way Murray would move either guy unless it is a hockey trade for a comparable player that is perhaps younger or more cost-controlled. If you think otherwise, you've just not been paying attention to how Murray operates.

6) Assuming the above point is wrong and we swap those guys and others and somehow accumulate multiple 1st round picks for this year and next, there is no guarantee any of them will pan out into impact players or players that are the caliber of Fowler and Henrique.

7) The guys people are talking about trading are still in their prime years and young enough to still be playing at the same level by the end of their current contracts, meaning they will still command the same trade value a few years from now (if not more) and you can still get several more seasons of productivity from them.

8) Neither the Fowler or Henrique contract are reasons for our cap issues. Both of those players are paid what comparable players in those positions would be paid elsewhere. It is the Kesler and Eaves contracts that are impacting the cap. Eaves can be bought out this offseason with minimal cap implications. Kesler looks like he is well on his way to an LTIRetirement that shouldn't be too much of a cap burden because I recall that his contract is at least partially insured. If things really get tight, you can always move a bad contract in this league if you sweeten the deal with enough assets. It might not be palatable for most of you, but moving assets to get rid of and LTIR'ed Kesler deal is not a big issue and won't cripple our prospect pool too much.

9) We are already very quietly doing a re-tool and are already over a year into it. Tearing down more is not necessary. We just need to be patient while the bad contracts are dealt with and the good prospects are ready to produce. This could be as soon as next season or the season after, so why move quality players that you don't have to if you aren't even going to jump start a retool by doing so????

10) No big moves of core players should be done until this team has a new coaching staff. Right now it is impossible to gauge what this team is capable of doing when healthy and playing under a different coach. This applies to Fowler and Montour especially because our defense has been a mess all season due to coaching/systems/team structure/heart/injuries/accountability (yeah I said it), and various other reasons. You trade these guys to a team with a top coaching staff and see what they can actually do in a better environment and you will regret it.

11) Fowler and Henrique are both players that could potentially be exposed at the next expansion draft, which would give us some added cap room and prevent losing better, younger talents. Not an ideal solution, but it is something to consider. Personally I'd rather lose a guy around 30 years old at a 5 or 6 million per year contract to Seattle than one of our best players in their 20s on a more affordable contract.

12) Big moves that involve players with high dollar salaries and lots of term rarely happen for futures during the season. Even if you wanted to pull something like this off, it would have to wait until the draft or free agency when more teams are on the market and all teams know their cap situations for next season better. Doing something now limits the amount of teams that you can trade with, and that limited market means the value coming back goes down.

13) This season sucks but we will be getting a mid to high 1st round pick and should get a late first from a Silf trade. We can grab a good center prospect and a good D prospect from those and still be in a good position moving forward without moving a core player. We'll still have some promising young players in the system after guys like Steel, Terry, Jones, Mahura, Larsson, Lundestrom, and Comtois make the jump over the next year or two. In fact, our system is actually fairly stocked at the moment and many look ready to contribute over that time span so the more I type this out the more insane it sounds to want to move good roster players with NHL experience for futures that we don't really lack in at the moment. What is the goal here? To have an entire roster under 25? What team has ever made that work?

I don't care about anyone's response to this. Just pick one of the reasons above and go with it.
I appreciate you bringing up actual points even if that was ridiculously long.

1 - I dont see us making the playoffs next year and over the long run I feel like those trades will enable us to make the playoffs more in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad