Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Rakell at that contract is a keeper. Exactly what the Ducks are looking for.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Rakell at that contract is a keeper. Exactly what the Ducks are looking for.

Its a keeper right now, but there's only three more years of it. If there's still an ongoing transition then that could take you right to the last year where he's turning 29 and staring at free agency.

Him having a down year affects things but I don't think they're as committed as they were even a year ago. If he can rebound that contract also makes him super valuable, can't ignore that.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
My eye is on Florida. Their trade today with Pittsburgh is probably the first of many dominos to fall in advance of signing Panarin/Bobrovsky as UFAs. Assuming they get both Russians and trade Brassard for a first prior to the deadline, they'll go into the draft/next season with a lot of draft picks (with their own first potentially being really high) and shored up forwards and goalies. If Florida's GM Tallon really wants to go all-in, does he look to improve the team's defense using some combination of picks/prospects/wingers?

If I'm GMBM and decide to move a defenseman, I'd look to Florida to make that trade.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
We will see, I just don't understand why trading players at the age of 28, 29. In the middle of the prime years. Sure valuable but this can become his team.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
My eye is on Florida. Their trade today with Pittsburgh is probably the first of many dominos to fall in advance of signing Panarin/Bobrovsky as UFAs. Assuming they get both Russians and trade Brassard for a first prior to the deadline, they'll go into the draft/next season with a lot of draft picks (with their own first potentially being really high) and shored up forwards and goalies. If Florida's GM Tallon really wants to go all-in, does he look to improve the team's defense using some combination of picks/prospects/wingers?

If I'm GMBM and decide to move a defenseman, I'd look to Florida to make that trade.

I don't think they are doing anything on their defense, at least not right now. Ekblad, Yandle and Matheson are locked up long term for big bucks, plus they still have Pysyk for a season and a half. If the plan is to gear up for the UFA market, I doubt they'll take another long term contract. They might be interested in a steady bottom pairing guy as a rental, but that's about it.

Getting a goalie has to be the #1 priority for Florida, and seeing that a two-time Vezina winner could hit the open market, I'd say them spending money/assets on Bobrovsky is the most likely scenario. IMO the only question is if Tallon can somehow convince and/or mind control GM Jarmo into absorbing the rest of Reimer's contract. If Bobrovsky and Panarin both leave for nothing, the Jackets are absolutely ****ed, so I'd imagine Jarmo would be willing to listen to all sorts of deals right now...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
At the moment, the most likely deal for us is Silf to Boston IMO. They have a crapload of young up-and-coming forwards (Frederic, Heinen, Cehlarik, Donato, JFK, ...) and a good amount of picks. Boston needs scoring, plus Silf would fit that team very well.

Silf for their 2019 1st? Silf for one of them + their 2019 2nd? Add us getting a conditional 2020 3rd if he re-signs in Boston...

Reactions: Coach Parker
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
We will see, I just don't understand why trading players at the age of 28, 29. In the middle of the prime years. Sure valuable but this can become his team.

The other part is that Rakell is clearly one of the guys who Murray's ire is directed at. Gotta think at least one of that group goes in the next year or two and he might be the most replaceable. There's also already a logjam at wing that only gets worse if Silf re-signs.

Mostly I was just throwing it out there because most people think he's pretty much untouchable with his contract but I don't think that's right.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I just cant see teams paying what it would cost to get Rakell…. Its going to be your Top prospect + 1st +
If his contract is that valuable, why couldn’t you see teams (cup contenders) paying that price?

Seems contradictory

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If his contract is that valuable, why couldn’t you see teams (cup contenders) paying that price?

Seems contradictory
Because his play hasn't been greatest... its risky for a team trading for the contract.

If you give up your 1st + top prospect + for a guy at 3.8 mil, and rakell stays around 45 point player ... sure its solid/good add, but long term its awful for what you gave up. Just too much risk for what youd have to pay. Could a team do it sure, but personally I just don't see a team offering us up a 1st + best prospect +... and I don't really see us doing it for anything less due to his contract. At worst Rakell is a 45-55 point player at 3.8 mil which is still a good contract, at best hes a 30 goal 60+ point player at that contract.

Rakell is going to be worth his contract no matter how bad he looks right now, the problem is wil he be worth what youd have to trade to acquire him... and to me the answer is prob not.

I mean realistically what would it take for a team like Colorado / Edmonton to get rakell from us?

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Teams don’t normally trade their top prospects and first and more for a player having a bad year, even if their contract is great.
Because his play hasn't been greatest... its risky for a team trading for the contract.

If you give up your 1st + top prospect + for a guy at 3.8 mil, and rakell stays around 45 point player ... sure its solid/good add, but long term its awful for what you gave up. Just too much risk for what youd have to pay. Could a team do it sure, but personally I just don't see a team offering us up a 1st + best prospect +... and I don't really see us doing it for anything less due to his contract. At worst Rakell is a 45-55 point player at 3.8 mil which is still a good contract, at best hes a 30 goal 60+ point player at that contract.

Rakell is going to be worth his contract no matter how bad he looks right now, the problem is wil he be worth what youd have to trade to acquire him... and to me the answer is prob not.

I mean realistically what would it take for a team like Colorado / Edmonton to get rakell from us?
Fair enough. The Rakell is having a bad year argument is valid

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fair enough. The Rakell is having a bad year argument is valid
The thing is even in a bad year $per point is still pretty good compared league wide... as far as contracts go... little more difficult when you add assets moving.

I imagine teams are inquiring/asking about him... they just prob don't like the ask... and honestly we have no reason to sell low on him because of that contract.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Teams don’t normally trade their top prospects and first and more for a player having a bad year, even if their contract is great.

I don't necessarily know about that, it's just kind of rare. Evander Kane went for a significant haul(and he was injured) years ago, Drouin was kind of disappointing and went for something great but he was much younger(also wasn't signed), and I cant think of too many other situations involving a younger player who's at least somewhat established, and that's before factoring in the contract.

Actually now that I think more about it, this describes the Bobby Ryan trade situation almost exactly. Just that Bobby faced less scrutiny for a weirdly comparable year, and he was more established vs. a worse contract situation.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't necessarily know about that, it's just kind of rare. Evander Kane went for a significant haul(and he was injured) years ago, Drouin was kind of disappointing and went for something great but he was much younger(also wasn't signed), and I cant think of too many other situations involving a younger player who's at least somewhat established, and that's before factoring in the contract.

Actually now that I think more about it, this describes the Bobby Ryan trade situation almost exactly. Just that Bobby faced less scrutiny for a weirdly comparable year, and he was more established vs. a worse contract situation.
Both Kane and Drouin were moved because they wanted to be moved or the organization wanted to move them because of locker room issues (Kane throwing clothes in the shower and Drouin asked for a trade). Unless Rakell asks for a trade, I don't see a reason we move him at all.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why would you even think about trading Manson?
If were trading manson its because were rebuilding.

Personally I wouldn't trade manson… unless we decided to full rebuild.

The longer RC stays at the helm, the more I think a rebuild needs to happen.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Both Kane and Drouin were moved because they wanted to be moved or the organization wanted to move them because of locker room issues (Kane throwing clothes in the shower and Drouin asked for a trade). Unless Rakell asks for a trade, I don't see a reason we move him at all.

I know, I was just trying to think up any examples that were similar(although Drouin did rescind the trade request). It's tough and usually involves a reason.

As for why to do it, its more a preemptive strike or just capitalizing on his value. The first thing literally everyone has brought up is his contract, but if the team isn't in contention for all or most of those remaining three years, that doesn't really help that much, and then when the team is in contention you have to pay him. But it would be valuable to a contender, which might pay a premium for a guy they can slot on their first line and not cost a whole lot.

Given Murray's history I'm guessing they don't trade him, he usually just keeps guys unless he can't and with that contract there are no issues for three seasons after this one, but his comments about the guys in their mid-20s made me think.

Also keep in mind, it doesn't have to be a total sell-off either. If he's looking for a higher-end guy, Ricky is a great starting point, especially if there's a team looking to move a guy because of cap reasons, like, perhaps, the Leafs with their struggling young winger making a decent amount.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If were trading manson its because were rebuilding.

Personally I wouldn't trade manson… unless we decided to full rebuild.

The longer RC stays at the helm, the more I think a rebuild needs to happen.
Manson is the kind of guy you keep through a rebuild

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I can't be the only person who thinks we can just call this season a wash, and focus on making the playoffs next season can I? With Gibson and an even mediocre coaching system, we should still be a playoff contender even if Getz is slowly declining. I don't see a reason to do a full rebuild and sell off all our good assets. Just move Silf, tank this season by keeping Randy, draft high, and try for a playoff push next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad