Speculation: 2018-2019 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There was one season where Couture was shockingly good defensively when Marleau was centering the 3rd line. I remember a lot of conversation on here about it that season (must have been 2015-2016?) because most thought he would struggle more without Patty. I think it was when he was considered for Team Canada because of his two way play.

I hope its not the 2015-16 season. 36 points in 52 games.

If it was team canada then it was 13-14. 56 points in 65 games and a plus 21

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
There is no way this happens. When has DW ever shown he's willing to do something like this? The type contract and the paying an aging player when it's more prudent to move on from just aren't his typical MO. Jumbo doesn't count to me considering he's willing to play for less and only wants to play in SJ. If he let Marleau walk, no way he's signing Pavs to a contract like this. 9mil will get you Duchene in UFA. Pavs will get offered 6mil at most for 2 or 3 years and that's probably too much for the teams salary structure. Unless of course they strike out on ek65 and every other worthwhile UFA this offseason. Then maybe they do throw 7 mil for 3 years at him.

I like Pavs a lot too but I just don't see it happening. He would have been signed already if he was going to get something like this.

I’m not advocating for that contract. It was asked how it would work and I provided an example.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Couture’s best defensive season was definitely 2013-2014. He and Marleau were killer that season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Couture’s best defensive season was definitely 2013-2014. He and Marleau were killer that season.

Yup, he had already declined a bit defensively in 2015-2016. Actually, he was injured and pretty underwhelming for the entirety of that season; he just exploded in the playoffs.

If we had acquired a solid playmaking winger for the Marleau-Couture duo in 2013-2014, perhaps we would have won round 1 against LA. Instead, we saddled them with unproven grinders like Nieto and Wingels. Having a playmaker like Donskoi really helped Couture in 2016 and it would have done so in 2014 as well.

He made Team Canada for the World Cup in 2016 because of his 30 point playoff run. He was never in consideration in 2014 and if he was, it wasn't for his defensive play.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
not sure where the best place for these are. but i was just looking through team stats.

sharks are 5th in point percentage. 7th in wins. 3rd in points. 4th in ROW. 2nd in goals for. 13th in goals against. 5th in PP%. 8th in PK%. 2nd in shots for/game. 2nd in shots against/game. and before last nights debacle against the caps were 4th in goal differential.

1 of these stats is not like the others lol.

but what some of these stats show is the sharks are good at winning in regulation or losing in overtime.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Couture is a sad story. For a couple of years he was a fantastic example of a three-zone forward who was legitimately good away from the puck.

Now...he is invisible out there, and not in a good way. If he's not scoring, he's doing nothing to help the team.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Couture is a sad story. For a couple of years he was a fantastic example of a three-zone forward who was legitimately away from the puck.

Now...he is invisible out there, and not in a good way. If he's not scoring, he's doing nothing to help the team.

And even then it seems a lot of his goals are all from the hard work of his line mates and he was just lucky to get a bounce.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
You could argue Couture has the best finish on the team, and has for a good amount of years. (Nothing against pavs but a lot of his goals are off deflection). Couture has never been a great skater, large, etc but dude knows how to score

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think it's becoming increasingly critical to get Vlasic off this team. 7 mill is just too much for him when you'll have guys like Panarin, Duchene and Stone hitting free agency.

Imagine adding one of those guys AND having Karlsson.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it's becoming increasingly critical to get Vlasic off this team. 7 mill is just too much for him when you'll have guys like Panarin, Duchene and Stone hitting free agency.

Imagine adding one of those guys AND having Karlsson.

Then imagine this team with Ryan, Simek, and Dillon on the left side. As much as Vlasic has been poor this season, unless there's a trade out there, he's the best option for this team right now in a top four spot.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Then imagine this team with Ryan, Simek, and Dillon on the left side. As much as Vlasic has been poor this season, unless there's a trade out there, he's the best option for this team right now in a top four spot.

I have no issues with that left side especially when Simek and Dillion will play with Burns and Karlsson. Two of the best pairings in the league.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I love this board. 3rd on the team in points and people are disappointed in Couture ha

Well he’s about to be 1st on the team in cap hit. (2nd if Karlsson re-signs) And with the way that he is trending, I would suspect he will finish somewhere between 3rd and 7th on the team in scoring, in the first of an 8 year contract.

On top of that, offense isn’t everything.

Joe Pavelski, 40g scoring 3rd line center.

You say this like it’s a joke but Pavelski has legitimately shown reasons to think he could be exposed defensively in a playoff series if he plays in a top-6 role.

Again, offense isn’t everything. And even if it was, both of these guys have been pretty opportunistic in a season where neither one has really shown the ability to drive offense on their own.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
That will get exposed come crunch time because they're not that good.

I think Dillon is a very good defenseman, while Simek is solid.

Vlasic/Karl and Hertl's against the top lines, try and get Burns, Pavs, and Thornton against third lines, and hope Meier's dominance is good enough in front of Braun and Dillon against second lines.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Dillon is a very good defenseman, while Simek is solid.

Vlasic/Karl and Hertl's against the top lines, try and get Burns, Pavs, and Thornton against third lines, and hope Meier's dominance is good enough in front of Braun and Dillon against second lines.

Dillon is good there for stretches but he's not a viable long term top four d-man.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Haha, here we go again....

Dillon is never going to drive a top 4 pair, but he has demonstrated his effectiveness with Karlsson as a very good complimentary player. They crushed it in that capacity, even against some of the top lines in the league.

As stated, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest he is not a viable top 4 player long term.

Reactions: LA Shark
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce