Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Formenton is one-dimensional player and will never get a steady job in NHL. North - South speedster. Reminds me Daigle so much)))​
Sure he will! BTW Daigle had 51 pts in his rookie season & would have been an excellent 2nd line centre but his heart wasn't into it. Hagelin has been in the NHL for a while now & that is all he mostly has is speed. Formenton on the other hand is also very good defensively which a lot of people don't value & can play on the PK. With his speed Formenton is going to beat a lot of icing calls giving Ottawa more offensive zone possession time. IMO Formenton could be a better & bigger version of Dzingel including being better defensively.

If they place Formenton with Brown who is an excellent playmaker with great vision he could turn Formenton into more of a goal scorer than say a less offensive centre. I would like to see a line of Formenton - Brown - Batherson. Ottawa has enough good young prospects to put together four good lines IMO but they will all need seasoning.

Tkachuk - White - Veronneau
Formenton - Brown - Batherson
Paul - Chlapik - Duclair/Davidsson
Norris - Tierny - Balcers/Rodewald/Nurmi

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Starting to feel like Brown may be closing the "prospect gap" on Batherson and close to pulling ahead.

I dont think it will take long for people to notice once they both are in the NHL. Right now Batherson gets the attention becuase he was hot out of the gate and has sustained it where Brown had a slow start production wise and was injured for some time. I personally see Brown being the better player moving forward, I prefer his skill set and believe it is better suited for the NHL but both players have a very real possibility being very good players.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I like this...

"Who will be the better All-Star, Brown or Batherson?"

Keep progressing boys...be good enough to give us hope next year and bad enough we still finish in bottom and add the young hotshot we should be drafting this season.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I like this...

"Who will be the better All-Star, Brown or Batherson?"

Keep progressing boys...be good enough to give us hope next year and bad enough we still finish in bottom and add the young hotshot we should be drafting this season.
This exactly. Keep marinating. Get some experience next year but we can't overachieve like we did in 2012, ruined the "rebuild". If we get lucky and land Lafreniere, I think this team will be a legit cup contender in 3 years with the majority of the team under 25. That's good news.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
No. Batherson's progression as a prospect is faster than any we've seen since Karlsson. He's putting up significantly better numbers than Stone did in his first AHL season.

I agree with this viewpoint.

I hope they keep Brown in Belleville until the trade deadline next season, in part to allow for Tierney to play a larger role getting more points and hopefully increasing his value. Hopefully they can see how Brown does without Batherson for an extended stretch, and use his offensive playmaking to pair with Formenton and Abramov on the top line.

The graduating group should be: Batherson, Hogberg, Branstromm and Paul.
Trade-deadline (or later) graduations: Chlapik, Brown, Abramov.

Next deadline, look to move Tierney, Duclair (if he's here), Smith (if possible), and maybe Balcers and DeMelo depending on the deals.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I am hoping Formenton can provide the type value that Magnus Arvedson gave the sens in his prime. AF is a probably faster but with less puck handling skills.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He wants a 1 way deal.

In previous years we have paid an old vet 300k to play in the AHL... might as well give Hogberg 700k and hope that he is a good NHLer. If not, he's still a good AHL goalie and probably has enough potential that someone would take a chance on him

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Projecting players for the future.... besides the top line I think I am pretty conservative and even then I bet some people would say I am underselling our guys... that is on purpose though

Tkachuk (30+35) - Brown (25+25) - Batherson (25+30)
Balcers (20+20) - White (20+25) - Duclair (20+20)
Formenton (15+15) - Norris (15+20) - Veronneau (10+20)
Abramov (15+15)- Tierney (10+25) - Davidsson (10+15)
Crookshank (10+10) - Chlapik (10+15) - Paul (10+10)

Chabot (15+45) - JBD (5+20)
Brannstrom (10+30) - Jaros (5+15)
Wolanin (10+25) - Lajoie (5+15)

It looks thin at the top but if a few guys outperform those projections we have a nice foundation

Who is too high? Who is too low?

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Daccord will want to know that he can compete for a quick path to the NHL. So that's one of the reasons for the organization to make it happen, and the others are essentially planned development timelines.

Hogberg is ready to back-up in the NHL. If he does well in the playoffs, all the better.
Daccord should split time with Gustavsson next season, and then back-up/pressure Hogberg for the lead spot in 2020.

Gustavsson takes a high percentage of the starts for the BSens in 2020-2021, and arrives in 2021-2022 likely when the decision has been made between Hoggy and Daccord.

Reactions: derriko

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Daccord will want to know that he can compete for a quick path to the NHL. So that's one of the reasons for the organization to make it happen, and the others are essentially planned development timelines.

Hogberg is ready to back-up in the NHL. If he does well in the playoffs, all the better.
Daccord should split time with Gustavsson next season, and then back-up/pressure Hogberg for the lead spot in 2020.

Gustavsson takes a high percentage of the starts for the BSens in 2020-2021, and arrives in 2021-2022 likely when the decision has been made between Hoggy and Daccord.

The plan should be simple :

1) buy out Craig Anderson : we love Andy and he was a great soldier for a while but buying him out help the Sens reach the cap floor. His cap hit would still be 4.75 but would cost only $1,333,333 this year and $1,333,333 next year. In the end, Melnyk saves $1,333,333 but the 4.75 cap hit will be VERY handful in 2019-20

Craig Anderson Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2) buy out Mike Condon : this helps less cap wise but Melnyk saves another million in the process. It's pretty clear that Condon won't ever suit again for the Sens.

Mike Condon Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

3) sign Anders Nilsson to a 2 year deal (NHL)

4) sign Marcus Hogberg to a 2 year deal (NHL)

5) sign Joey Daccord to an ELC (AHL with Gustavsson)

6) profit

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Projecting players for the future.... besides the top line I think I am pretty conservative and even then I bet some people would say I am underselling our guys... that is on purpose though

It looks thin at the top but if a few guys outperform those projections we have a nice foundation

My predictions for peak year in NHL
Tkachuk (35+40) - Brown (25+45) - Batherson (35+45)
Balcers (20+20) - White (25+35) - Duclair (20+20)
Formenton (22+27) - Norris (30+30) - Veronneau (20+20)
Abramov (30+30)- Tierney (15+25) - Davidsson (10+15)
Crookshank (20+20) - Chlapik (20+25) - Paul (15+25)

Chabot (25+50) - JBD (20+40)
Brannstrom (20+50) - Jaros (18+20)
Wolanin (12+40) - Lajoie (10+20)

I went optimistic because you stated you went conservative.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The goalie situation:
While Nilsson has had some good games this yr he's also had some not so good games. By all accounts he doesn't consistently play like a starting goalie but more like a backup. So I'm not sure if he is any better than Hogberg other than more experienced & I would not re-sign him at the end of the season. They should have tried to move him at the deadline for an asset.

Anderson will be in the last yr of his contract next season & Hogberg can apply for the backup role for a few months. If he does well he gets to keep the job & if he does not they can give Daccord a shot & then Gustavsson, if that doesn't work. Worse case scenario they go after another backup through trade. PD should also look to move Anderson at the deadline if someone is looking for some goalie depth. They should not tie themselves to any goalie until one proves that they deserve a longer term contract. They may even have to give Anderson another yr, if nobody steps up to take the job from him. I imagine Anderson might make a decent goalie coach at some point after his career is over.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Hogberg has earned a 1 way contract with his play in the AHL. He stepped up his game tremendously over the last few months.

He probably won't clear waivers if he doesn't make the team next season.

The Senators are in a position where they have to figure out if Hogberg is at the peak of his value right now, and as a result should be traded, or if they can benefit by investing more time in developing him by giving him at a shot to win a full time NHL job next season.

I think the Sens should trade Anderson at the draft, extend Nilsson, and let Hogberg, Gustavsson, and Daccord (if he signs) compete for the backup job at camp.

I'm guessing by the previous rumours of Anderson wanting out, the fact that his family lives in Florida during the season, I'm guessing Anderson is done here after this contract. We might as well get a pick or prospect for him rather than losing him for nothing while opening up room for Nilsson and Hogberg, both of which we can further develop and either keep long term or flip for something we need. If Nilsson isn't re-signing, we can keep Anderson until the trade deadline.

Daccord and Gustavsson will be waiver exempt.

Reactions: Crosside

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The goalie situation:
While Nilsson has had some good games this yr he's also has some not so good games. By all accounts he doesn't consistently play like a starting goalie but more like a backup. So I'm not sure if he is any better than Hogberg other than more experienced & I would not re-sign him at the end of the season. They should have tried to move him at the deadline for an asset.

Anderson will be in the last yr of his contract next season & Hogberg can apply for the backup role for a few months. If he does well he gets to keep the job & if he does not they can give Daccord a shot & then Gustavsson, if that doesn't work. Worse case scenario they go after another backup through trade. PD should also look to move Anderson at the deadline if someone is looking for some goalie depth. They should not tie themselves to any goalie until one proves that they deserve a longer term contract. They may even have to give Anderson another yr, if nobody steps up to take the job from him. I imagine Anderson might make a decent goalie coach at some point after his career is over.

To be honest, not even sure if I trust Nilsson as a backup. He'd be okay I suppose, but man o man his positioning is really terrible. Like among the worst I've ever seen before in an NHL goalie.

I suppose that at the end of the day, he stops the puck most of the time. But he strikes me as the type of goalie that could turn into a really bad one really quickly, because the fundamentals just arent there in his game.

This guy goes purely on his athleticism and his instincts, and just hopes that the puck hits him.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
The Senators are in a position where they have to figure out if Hogberg is at the peak of his value right now, and as a result should be traded...

My god I hope Dorion isnt this dumb. Gus needs more time to develop and the trade value of goalies isnt that great (even for a goalie doing well like Hog).

We already have loads of picks and have no other young goalie in the pipeline except Gus who is still too young to make the jump.

Reactions: derriko

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009

I think Brown and Bath will get more than 50/55. Those two have mad vision. Excited to see what the pp will look like with tkchuk-brown-bath chabot - wolainen/branstrom

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
To be honest, not even sure if I trust Nilsson as a backup. He'd be okay I suppose, but man o man his positioning is really terrible. Like among the worst I've ever seen before in an NHL goalie.

I suppose that at the end of the day, he stops the puck most of the time. But he strikes me as the type of goalie that could turn into a really bad one really quickly, because the fundamentals just arent there in his game.

This guy goes purely on his athleticism and his instincts, and just hopes that the puck hits him.

They are going for the tank. So this good news.

At the end of the day, what's the harm in one more season with a lottery pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad