Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wtf are ncaa schedules.

I feel like thy never play and then one day it’s like “well player x had three points yesterday while his team won 2 of 3 in a back to back to back within 24 hours.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Not a big haul for NCAA prospects this weekend (each played 2 games):

Norris 1g
JBD 0 pts
Tychnonick 0 pts
Crookshank 1a
Gruden 1a
Novak 0 pts

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
He returned to the game and had an assist on another short handed goal, but Formenton was banged up after this hit.

Reactions: Cosmix

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Parker Kelly's PA Raiders are 26-1 this season. Insane. Too bad we signed the wrong guy from that team it looks like.
Brett Leason, who also went undrafted in 2017 draft and who had 33 points in 66 games last year is on absolute tear this season. 60 points in 27 games, leads CHL. Second player on his team has just 30 points. He's also 6 foot 4.
Wonder if he gets drafted in June. Or somebody might just sign him right away.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Parker Kelly's PA Raiders are 26-1 this season. Insane. Too bad we signed the wrong guy from that team it looks like.
Brett Leason, who also went undrafted in 2017 draft and who had 33 points in 66 games last year is on absolute tear this season. 60 points in 27 games, leads CHL. Second player on his team has just 30 points. He's also 6 foot 4.
Wonder if he gets drafted in June. Or somebody might just sign him right away.
Can't sign him, otherwise he'd be signed now.

100% chance he's drafted, most likely in the 1st.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Can't sign him, otherwise he'd be signed now.

100% chance he's drafted, most likely in the 1st.
Right. Forgot there is a window.
Yeah looks like a Tanner Pearson scenario. With even more impressive stats in draft+2 year to back it up.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
*discussing a massive, fast, well-rounded, high-upside, NHL-ready 19 y.0 center*

"HA! Our idiot GM would love that guy!"

I mean... yeah.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Who would be a player that went on a tear on their draft +2 year, was drafted in a top 2 round and became a star?

Stone was a draft +1 pick right?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who would be a player that went on a tear on their draft +2 year, was drafted in a top 2 round and became a star?

Nope, Stone was drafted in his 1st year of eligibility.

It's rare for guys that were passed over to be taken high in the draft in and of itself, and even rarer for them to become stars. The fact that you can't find may that fit those perimeters doesn't mean much.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few guys in the first few rounds, Pearson is the closest comparable to his situation for sure.

Borgstrom was a +1 (2016 1st)
Pearson was a +2 (2012 1st)
Batherson was a +1 (2017 4th)
Parayko was a +1 (2012 3rd)

The Leafs have heavily emplyed this the past few years with Durzi, Hollowell, Brooks, Walker

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Closest that I can think of would be Tanner Pearson, but he was inferior to Leason in pretty much every way. Pearson, a 6'1 winger, scored at a 1.52 point per game rate (6th in the OHL but close to everyone besides Saad and Yakupov) whereas Leason, a 6'4 center, is scoring at a 2.22 point per game rate (1st in the entire CHL, one of two players in the entire CHL above 2.0 p/g, the other one being Cody Glass who is the slightly older than Leason).

Leason leads the league in goals, points, points per game and +/-. He has more goals and points than the next two leading scorers on his team combined. More than 2x as many goals and 2x as many points as the next leading scorer on his team. He's bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled than Pearson. He will be a 1st rounder and possibly even top 15.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I imagine Habs are kicking themselves after drafting Cole Fonstad, 5-10 center out of PA Raiders who is now underperforming his own PPG draft year with just 18 points in 27 games.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Hmm so I guess aside from Pearson coming close, Lesson is doing something kind of unprecedented if he goes top 15 in his +2 year and becomes a star.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hmm so I guess aside from Pearson coming close, Lesson is doing something kind of unprecedented if he goes top 15 in his +2 year and becomes a star.
Yeah bigtime.

There are also guys who get signed, like Phillips Myers, who went undrafted in 2015 and was signed as a free agent prior to the start of the Q season. Had he not signed a deal, like Leason, he'd have been a top 20 pick in 2016.

Joel Teasdale is the same age and was passed 2 times like Leason but signed with Montreal prior to the deadline this year. He's not as good as Leason, but would have been a 5th-7th round pick this year I would imagine.

What Leason is doing is much unprecedented.

Reactions: playasRus

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Bernard Docker named to Team Canada world junior camp

Lots of competition at RD:

Bouchard
Dobson
Brook
Mitchell
Addison
Crotty

The first four guys, especially, are all going to make a very strong claim for a spot.

Merkley is a notable - but not entirely surprising - omission.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lots of competition at RD:

Bouchard
Dobson
Brook
Mitchell
Addison
Crotty

The first four guys, especially, are all going to make a very strong claim for a spot.

Merkley is a notable - but not entirely surprising - omission.
The whole 2000 year D are extremely good.

Dobson
Addsion
McIsaac
Smith
JBD

Then next year Byram will 100% be on the team, along with guys like Robertson, it will be tough for some of the above guys to make it either year.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The whole 2000 year D are extremely good.

Dobson
Addsion
McIsaac
Smith
JBD

Then next year Byram will 100% be on the team, along with guys like Robertson, it will be tough for some of the above guys to make it either year.

Who's the comp for this kid? He's easily one of the guys I know the least about in the top ~15 of this draft, but it's tough not to be impressed by the stuff I've read/his stats. Do you think he's already cemented himself as the top defenceman next year?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Fun fact: Chlapik had 11 goals in 58 games last season. He already has 6 in 18 this year.

With all the exciting youth already on the team, it's really promising to realize that there's still a bunch of guys not here yet. Formenton, Chlapik, Brown, Balcers, JBD, Norris, etc. etc.

Re-sign Stone + Duchene and we're seriously set for a long time. Leggooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad