2018-2019 Roster Talk, Part 5

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Whatever - Myers

Not immediately, but that's my endgame. Maybe you swap Ghost and Myers, but I expect Ghost to rebound and that pair to look like they did last season.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
It's indisputable that Giroux can still play C, but he should go back to wing simply because we need our best playmaker (Giroux) with our best goalscorer (Couturier). This would also be a huge help in giving Patrick better wingers if he fills the hole that's made, which he deserves based on his fantastic recent performances.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek

The problem right now is Giroux is playing with two guys who aren't going to get him the puck and set him up for goals, so he's being wasted. With Couturier, they can set each other up for scoring chances, plus set up Konecny. It's not that JVR is bad, but he's simply not in Couturiers league and Giroux's insane playmaking needs someone who can take advantage of it more consistently.

Yeah. Unfortunately...the very best the team has done, victories-wise, features the current lines. In all their good and bad.

9 - 0 - 1 tough to argue with even when goalkeeping is disproportionately responsible. We all know that almost ALL the reasonable combos got tried earlier this season, including some in previous seasons...and nothing has ever produced overall good results for our expectations, some great player was always under-producing.

At this point, I'll simply accept these lines and double-shifting G and sometimes Couts and J, whenever and wherever needed. I very much prefer that rather than seeing Laughton return to full-time C role, sorry.

And have faith...G is the ultimate player who can produce with anyone, anytime and often when most needed. He's unique on the roster, the true everyman star anytime he's on the ice. Hopefully Patrick and Konecny and some others can learn something from him and how he approaches the game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah. Unfortunately...the very best the team has done, victories-wise, features the current lines. In all their good and bad.

9 - 0 - 1 tough to argue with even when goalkeeping is disproportionately responsible. We all know that almost ALL the reasonable combos got tried earlier this season, including some in previous seasons...and nothing has ever produced overall good results for our expectations, some great player was always under-producing.

At this point, I'll simply accept these lines and double-shifting G and sometimes Couts and J, whenever and wherever needed. I very much prefer that rather than seeing Laughton return to full-time C role, sorry.

And have faith...G is the ultimate player who can produce with anyone, anytime and often when most needed. He's unique on the roster, the true everyman star anytime he's on the ice. Hopefully Patrick and Konecny and some others can learn something from him and how he approaches the game.
Trust me, I'm not worried about Giroux at all. :laugh:

I just think that he has the wrong mix with him at the moment and that the best possible partner to take advantage of his skills is Couturier, who just happens to be more valuable at C because of his defensive play. It's not that Giroux can't play center, it's just that he's so good at both it really doesn't matter and he can just play wherever is best for his linemates (and Couturier has to be at C).

The problem is JVR and TK are guys you have to set up for chances but they're not really going to get the puck back to Giroux enough, so it's either "Giroux passes to them -> goal" or nothing, which wastes his own goalscoring ability. Compare that to Couturier, who is a great possession player and playmaker too, who can actually set Giroux up for goals... while BOTH of them can set up TK.

And, like I said, an added bonus is it will help Patrick out because he's playing great right now, with minimal winger help. Obviously Lindblom+Voracek is a huge upgrade over Laughton+Simmonds

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I just think that he has the wrong mix with him at the moment and that the best possible partner to take advantage of his skills is Couturier, who just happens to be more valuable at C because of his defensive play. It's not that Giroux can't play center, it's just that he's so good at both it really doesn't matter and he can just play wherever is best for his linemates (and Couturier has to be at C).

The problem is JVR and TK are guys you have to set up for chances but they're not really going to get the puck back to Giroux enough, so it's either "Giroux passes to them -> goal" or nothing, which wastes his own goalscoring ability. Compare that to Couturier, who is a great possession player and playmaker too, who can actually set Giroux up for goals... while BOTH of them can set up TK.

And, like I said, an added bonus is it will help Patrick out because he's playing great right now, with minimal winger help. Obviously Lindblom+Voracek is a huge upgrade over Laughton+Simmonds

Panarin on Girouxs LW would be so sexy.

Reactions: Tripod

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto

I do not disagree with your assessment of how G is being wasted. But someone (or two, or more) is always being wasted with this version of the Flyers' forwards. It's impossible to keep straight which line improves and which suffers, and by how much, when changes are made. It's maddening. Patrick has already played extensively with Lindblom and Jake, and after their West Coast swing, it just wasn't effective at all. And JvR with Simmer has also been tried, also not good.

So I'm just considering wins earned, and recently earned. Even if goalies are mostly responsible for all of them? So be it, forward lines do not get changed! Who knows, maybe TK will learn how to deal with the hand he's been dealt (first guy on puck retrieval duties on first line? wtf), JVR isn't a dumb player, and if they manage to click somehow, it's worth the experiment. ESpecially while they're winning!

Just hold off on changes until they lose...2 games? After all, they have a rookie deeman to integrate into the mix now! :sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I do not disagree with your assessment of how G is being wasted. But someone (or two, or more) is always being wasted with this version of the Flyers' forwards. It's impossible to keep straight which line improves and which suffers, and by how much, when changes are made. It's maddening. Patrick has already played extensively with Lindblom and Jake, and after their West Coast swing, it just wasn't effective at all. And JvR with Simmer has also been tried, also not good.

So I'm just considering wins earned, and recently earned. Even if goalies are mostly responsible for all of them? So be it, forward lines do not get changed! Who knows, maybe TK will learn how to deal with the hand he's been dealt (first guy on puck retrieval duties on first line? wtf), JVR isn't a dumb player, and if they manage to click somehow, it's worth the experiment. ESpecially while they're winning!

Just hold off on changes until they lose...2 games? After all, they have a rookie deeman to integrate into the mix now! :sarcasm:
Actually after that west coast swing the Patrick line was broke up, remember?

Lindblom went to the 4th line and Hak put Weise on the 2nd. :laugh:

And I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think we should wait until we lose to make changes. It’s not really working, even though Hart is stealing wins, so I’d rather be proactive than reactive.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Actually after that west coast swing the Patrick line was broke up, remember?

Yes, I do remember. But not until they lost a quite few more games with that exact same line in place? So they're not exactly bullet-proof.

But I also get what you're saying...good players are emerging and can possibly do more than what we've seen before, and improve the team. I'm just less certain there's a clear pro-active stance to take.

So much more fun when we're winning to discuss these things.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, I do remember. But not until they lost a quite few more games with that exact same line in place? So they're not exactly bullet-proof.

But I also get what you're saying...good players are emerging and can possibly do more than what we've seen before, and improve the team. I'm just less certain there's a clear pro-active stance to take.

So much more fun when we're winning to discuss these things.
Yup, I'm just saying I think things can be better and I'd rather change them sooner than later.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It would be a lot worse for Myers to be paired with Amac. He’s so positionally unaware and has such little hockey sense that it ends up making his partner look like the culprit.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Yup, I'm just saying I think things can be better and I'd rather change them sooner than later.
Yes. I'm also saying things could be better but I would rather not change them until we're (somewhat) forced to. Because we've tried it before.

Hart to TCB.

Cheers,

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Probably been said, but Bailey is kicking ass & probably in line for a call-up soon.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
MacDonald-Myers

Work in Morin for MacDonald at some point, or rotate three of the in that spot, later in the season.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Its such a shame that pile of **** Hak wasnt let go sooner. Making the Playoffs would be fun with this group.

Their goal next season better be winning the division.

Man I'm so glad about one thing: Hextall NOT giving Hak any chance to play Hart. We would keep seeing overplayed and misplayed Weise, Torgo, Farmer, Folin, the list goes on..

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sanheim should really be on the left side and Ghost should be on the right.

It's the only way the top 4 has everyone in their best possible spot.

Plus, the Provorov-Ghost pairing and the Sanheim-Gudas pairing are both proven to be successful, so if all 4 of them get appropriate icetime we're in good shape.

Reactions: Stizzle and baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
These quotes from Fletcher about Myers sound like they're not in a rush to get him into the lineup, which A. is worrying/annoying but B. probably indicate another move is coming soon. Fingers crossed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00