Speculation: 2018-2019 Roster Discussion #2 - Even Worser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Coyotes are as they always have been. Too bad to make good free agents think they can win here. Too good to win generational talent in the draft. Too unlucky to win a lottery or have a draft pick over achieve. Too poor to buy their way out of mediocrity.

We are B level talent that loses a lot in the first half of the season and plays like world killers when the season is already lost.

This is Coyotes hockey.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Coyotes are as they always have been. Too bad to make good free agents think they can win here. Too good to win generational talent in the draft. Too unlucky to win a lottery or have a draft pick over achieve. Too poor to buy their way out of mediocrity.

We are B level talent that loses a lot in the first half of the season and plays like world killers when the season is already lost.

This is Coyotes hockey.

Well, it's time to change this same old, same old Coyotes hockey.

To pretend this rebuild is anything but a start is to fool oneself. At this point I would not trade the kids, I'd shift the overpaid mannequin veterans that keep this "Coyotes hockey" tradition going from year to year. Give Strome and the other kids more responsibility to create a hard core winning mentality in the locker room for the future. They may not be able to play winning hockey yet, but they can take responsibility for doing the best with what talent they have, each and every one of them and fight for their place on the ice. Screw the posers playing to pick up a pay check and look the part on the surface. I'm not going to name names but this roster has a lot of them. The roster also has a lot of interchangeable warm bodies.

The kids need to learn that if they want to win in the NHL, they will have to fight for it. I don't want to see Smiley Coyotes, or Barbie doll Ken Coyotes or Carebear Coyotes. Time too finally see Lean and Mean Coyotes with Talent. Keller could be one of the Hungry ones, but the clock is already ticking on him becoming one of the furniture Stuffed Coyotes.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Here's the complete house of horrors that is the Coyotes' draft history.

List of Arizona Coyotes draft picks - Wikipedia

Are they on meth when evaluating talent, drafting, or both?

I don't think it's fair to say the draft is a crap shoot. Looks like the Coyotes don't even throw the dice but are handed the leftovers. If ever the Coyotes want to change their fortunes here is a good place to start.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
What does Perlini's next contract look like? 1 year, $2 million?

At least Perlini has showed a pulse at NHL level. Not sure if he has a head yet. Doesn't look very promising but you never know there might be ignition one of these days.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Arguably the worst drafting team since their inception. The number of absolute BUSTS in the first round is all the explanation you need to know why this franchise is the model for mediocrity.
I suspect the bigger problem was development.

Turris and Wheeler didn't see a bright future for themselves with the team. Boedker and Mueller were physically ready but not mentally ready when they made the roster. They could have been much better. I don't consider those four as bad picks. They were mis-handled and it almost cost the team everything.

Hanzal was a stud.

Tikh and Samuelsson busted but they were very late 1sts.

That covers all the forwards in the 1st round from 2004-12. Those failures explain why we had no veteran core in 2017 and Chayka felt compelled to trade the 7th OA from that draft.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
What does Perlini's next contract look like? 1 year, $2 million?

Tell the other GMs he will turn out to be a franchise center on their team, with 1.13 ppg. First round forward picks traded from Arizona tend to be that. We have proof.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Love that statement by the coach. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROSPECT'S DEVELOPMENT! That's the kind of coach this organization needs.
Alfred Hitchcock? Sounds warm and fuzzy now, think he is like Q-Tip though:) Honey moon won't last long nor will Puljujarvi.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Even though there’s not a quote like that from Tocchet, that’s essentially what he’s doing with Strome, Perlini, Fischer, Keller etc...he and his staff are responsible for any further development from them and that’s what all of the day to day communication, one on one time and watching video is all about. I do have to wonder though, how tempting it is for management to try to bring Coach Q in with all of the ex-Hawks on our team. He has coached Hammer, Panik, Vinny, Oesterle...it will never happen but if I was Barroway I would be very tempted to force Chayka into it.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Hill recalled. Kuemper is day to day. So we'll probably see him in 3 weeks.

Injury or just flu or something?

Would be nice if the goalies didn't get injured at practice.

Kuemper at least has been able to play several games without getting injured.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Even though there’s not a quote like that from Tocchet, that’s essentially what he’s doing with Strome, Perlini, Fischer, Keller etc...he and his staff are responsible for any further development from them and that’s what all of the day to day communication, one on one time and watching video is all about. I do have to wonder though, how tempting it is for management to try to bring Coach Q in with all of the ex-Hawks on our team. He has coached Hammer, Panik, Vinny, Oesterle...it will never happen but if I was Barroway I would be very tempted to force Chayka into it.
So we are going to continue to pay Tocchet, Tippett, and now Q. 2 to not coach the team? We must be swimming in cash.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Tocc and coaching isn’t the problem.
Coaching certainly hasn't been the solution.

Too many games recently where we weren't ready to start and spotted the opposition a lead.

I'm not advocating change but we need the kids to take a step forward. As of today we are 3 lottery ball losses from drafting 7th.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017

Too many games recently where we weren't ready to start and spotted the opposition a lead.

I'm not advocating change but we need the kids to take a step forward. As of today we are 3 lottery ball losses from drafting 7th.

It's still not the standings which worries me. It's the play, and the loss-streak.

The standings are still not far off. Team has 20 points in 21 games. Ducks has 25 points in 24 games, and is listed as in a playoff -spot. That's arguably 2 points out, not five points out.

But the losing in itself, that's not good. Not good at all.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Agreed kids need to take a step, we need to be patient though. I didn’t think Tip was a problem and I didn’t think Tocc was the solution. I don’t think Tocc is the problem now either. The mistakes we have been making leading to goals against are correctable. The GF will be a grind and PP needs to be better.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad