2018-2019 Regular Season Discussion: Part III

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Someone sick or minor injury?

Only if multiple people were sick or injured. An emergency call up can only happen if Dallas has fewer than 12 forwards. They have 13 right now so 2 would have to be sick or hurt for this to not be one of their 4 regular call ups.

Will be interesting to see what is going on.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
100 Degree Hockey is saying this is not an emergency call up, but I think he's just making an educated, albeit likely accurate, assumption based on Dallas having 13 healthy forwards as of last game.

Until Shapiro or one of the Dallas writers confirm, I don't think that's official.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I missed the last game, but I have a hard time seeing Dowling in over Spezza, Val, and Ritchie.

The guy is a good AHLer but has never shown even 10 seconds of anything at the NHL level.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
As far as not calling up Gurianov, my guess is they know he will sit when Pitlick and Zuccarello are healthy in the next week, and they'd rather he keep playing with Texas than burn a regular call up on him.

Assuming Dowling is a regular call up, which seems likely, I think the coaching staff has reached the conclusion they're done with Spezza, and that healthy scratch was more than just wanting more speed in the lineup.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I missed the last game, but I have a hard time seeing Dowling in over Spezza, Val, and Ritchie.

The guy is a good AHLer but has never shown even 10 seconds of anything at the NHL level.

With DeFranks confirming it's not an emergency call up, this has less to do with Dowling's history in the NHL and more to do with not playing Spezza you would have to assume. Texas is fighting for their lives in the AHL right now. Dallas already has 13 forwards. They don't need a depth guy, especially today, to just sit in the box.

If Dowling is coming up, it's to play you would think. Otherwise, this is a really strange call up.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only way calling up Dowling makes sense is that Spezza isn't playing anymore .( at least for now ) . In a 4th line role Spezza makes no sense and he can't play top 6 anymore either . He'd be an ideal dressed 13th forward that just plays the powerplay and takes draws and changes off when he won it.

Last few games that 4th line with Spezza on it just go straight up murdered everytime it was on the ice.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

I think we will see Dowling and Val in over Ritchie and Spezza. I have a hard time seeing Ritchie not be scratched tonight after his terrible game against Colorado and getting benched but I guess crazier things have happened

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think we will see Dowling and Val in over Ritchie and Spezza. I have a hard time seeing Ritchie not be scratched tonight after his terrible game against Colorado and getting benched but I guess crazier things have happened

Oh yeah ... I forgot about them both getting benched last game.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Optional morning skate means we probably won't know the lineup until this evening. Monty could name scratches to the media after the practice though.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Would have preferred Gury. Interesting to see who will be out even though it most definitely be Ritchie or Spez.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Optional morning skate means we probably won't know the lineup until this evening. Monty could name scratches to the media after the practice though.

He usually does. That's one thing I like about Monty. He is pretty direct and doesn't beat around the bush when it comes to who is in and who's out.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Spin zone: Monty is resting Spezza for the playoffs and doesn't want him to get hurt in meaningless regular season games.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Spin zone: Monty is resting Spezza for the playoffs and doesn't want him to get hurt in meaningless regular season games.

This would make sense if Spezza hasn't been playing awful hockey.

His benching after that horrible change also indicates the contrary.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Travis Moen couldnt even tie up Spezza's skates

I'm not sure at the end Moen could still tie his own skates in his two seasons with the Stars with how injury riddles his body was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad