Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats Updated 3.1.19) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What an embarrassment. I thought the KHL was getting it together.

Not the KHL's fault actually. Slovan's sponsor pulled out, leaving them in financial trouble which caused players to walk away from their contracts (Virta was one of them).

They have a new sponsor for next season. Hopefully it will work out for them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not the KHL's fault actually. Slovan's sponsor pulled out, leaving them in financial trouble which caused players to walk away from their contracts (Virta was one of them).

They have a new sponsor for next season. Hopefully it will work out for them.
They're supposed to be the second-best hockey league in the world. If the league itself can't pull together to keep the paychecks flowing, the arena operating, etc., that's on them. I understand this is somewhat of a difference between the major sports leagues in the US opposed to the rest of the world, but here, in modern times, the leagues would not allow this to happen. They'd seize control of the team and pay the financial obligations until such time another owner/ownership group could be found. To allow a team to play missing a third of its roster because no one is getting paid would be a major embarrassment to the league, as it should be to the KHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They're supposed to be the second-best hockey league in the world. If the league itself can't pull together to keep the paychecks flowing, the arena operating, etc., that's on them. I understand this is somewhat of a difference between the major sports leagues in the US opposed to the rest of the world, but here, in modern times, the leagues would not allow this to happen. They'd seize control of the team and pay the financial obligations until such time another owner/ownership group could be found. To allow a team to play missing a third of its roster because no one is getting paid would be a major embarrassment to the league, as it should be to the KHL.

Actually, it's completely different. Sports in Europe is a completely different structure where the league is more a facilitator of individually ran clubs rather than a company overseeing it's franchises.

The KHL does not bail out teams the way the NHL does with the escrow fund for instance. EU sports requires the teams to keep up financially instead of getting a hand out from the league.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Actually, it's completely different. Sports in Europe is a completely different structure where the league is more a facilitator of individually ran clubs rather than a company overseeing it's franchises.

The KHL does not bail out teams the way the NHL does with the escrow fund for instance. EU sports requires the teams to keep up financially instead of getting a hand out from the league.
I'm a big fan of European football, I get it. I still think it's absurd. Healthy teams create a healthy league. It's not good for anyone in the league when you have these kinds of things happen. How do you take a league seriously when you're running out partial clubs of unpaid players? A Serie C club in Italian football lost 20-0 the other day, they couldn't field a team until their physio joined the squad, and their manager was a 19-year-old player. It was terribly embarrassing for not just the club, but for Serie C and for FIGC in general. They should figure out a way to prevent those things from happening.

The collective ownership of the KHL for instance should have enough money to pay the salaries of the players on Slovan until such time new sponsors or owners are found and the money can be paid back to the league. It's not a hand out, but ensuring the competitive nature and balance of the league and maintaining the sanctity of the product. What if two teams are competing for a playoff spot, and one had to play a full-squad Slovan, and then the next week the other team had to play a half-squad Slovan? That goes beyond a team being hobbled by injuries or decimated by trades, into something that is just inherently unfair and unequal.

Also, the escrow isn't really a bail-out of any sort. It's part of the CBA and it's there to ensure that HRR ends up being distributed at the collectively bargained amount each year. It's not a mechanism to help a team in financial trouble. It could be distributed to either teams or players, depending on a variety of

Anyway, this is OT so you can have the last word.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm a big fan of European football, I get it. I still think it's absurd. Healthy teams create a healthy league. It's not good for anyone in the league when you have these kinds of things happen. How do you take a league seriously when you're running out partial clubs of unpaid players? A Serie C club in Italian football lost 20-0 the other day, they couldn't field a team until their physio joined the squad, and their manager was a 19-year-old player. It was terribly embarrassing for not just the club, but for Serie C and for FIGC in general. They should figure out a way to prevent those things from happening.

The collective ownership of the KHL for instance should have enough money to pay the salaries of the players on Slovan until such time new sponsors or owners are found and the money can be paid back to the league. It's not a hand out, but ensuring the competitive nature and balance of the league and maintaining the sanctity of the product. What if two teams are competing for a playoff spot, and one had to play a full-squad Slovan, and then the next week the other team had to play a half-squad Slovan? That goes beyond a team being hobbled by injuries or decimated by trades, into something that is just inherently unfair and unequal.

Also, the escrow isn't really a bail-out of any sort. It's part of the CBA and it's there to ensure that HRR ends up being distributed at the collectively bargained amount each year. It's not a mechanism to help a team in financial trouble. It could be distributed to either teams or players, depending on a variety of

Anyway, this is OT so you can have the last word.

Let's end this debate. But I want to say that I really enjoy this, man. Having an in-depth debate about the business side of hockey.

Reactions: nyr2k2

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What an embarrassment. I thought the KHL was getting it together.

I don’t understand why you chose to take a shot at the KHL at every opportunity (my personal impression). They are unquestionably the 2nd best league in quality and a lot of other aspects. But the league is very young and carries the impact of existing in oligarchs Russia. Ask yourself how situation with Slovan (which is not even a Russian team) is significantly more embarrassing than ownership situations in recent past in Arizona, on Long Island or New Jersey? And these happened in the league with 100+ years in existence and situated where capital required is not an issue?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Huge for Rykov’s Sochi to avoid SKA or CSKA in the first round! Much better chances to advance against Loco.

The Traktor match up can really go either way. Sure, Traktor has no offense at all but it's a derby (Is that a thing in the US?). Could really be a shock upset if Demchenko stands on his head

Reactions: lucky13

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Traktor match up can really go either way. Sure, Traktor has no offense at all but it's a derby (Is that a thing in the US?). Could really be a shock upset if Demchenko stands on his head

I don’t think Tractor has a chance beyond losing the series 1:4.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I actually don’t think the KHL has even a 7 digit amount on a bank account.

But the teams could of course form some kind of consortium and save the face of a league. However, pro teams in Europe are also notoriously bad at working with each other. It’s kind of like election systems in some countries where odd old rules still apply, because they always benefit someone. SHL is like that anyway, they never invest in their product because the clubs drawing a full house don’t see any reason for it. As long as they are ahead...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I actually don’t think the KHL has even a 7 digit amount on a bank account.

But the teams could of course form some kind of consortium and save the face of a league. However, pro teams in Europe are also notoriously bad at working with each other. It’s kind of like election systems in some countries where odd old rules still apply, because they always benefit someone. SHL is like that anyway, they never invest in their product because the clubs drawing a full house don’t see any reason for it. As long as they are ahead...

Yup. And that's completely different from the North American franchise-system.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don’t understand why you chose to take a shot at the KHL at every opportunity (my personal impression). They are unquestionably the 2nd best league in quality and a lot of other aspects. But the league is very young and carries the impact of existing in oligarchs Russia. Ask yourself how situation with Slovan (which is not even a Russian team) is significantly more embarrassing than ownership situations in recent past in Arizona, on Long Island or New Jersey? And these happened in the league with 100+ years in existence and situated where capital required is not an issue?
It's your personal impression, not something I do.

Those NHL ownership situations were embarrassing, but at no point were the players at risk of not get paid, at no point did they field teams of 16 players, etc. Every league will have teams with financial issues which is not something I have disputed. My point is that here, we don't let it turn into something that ends with teams having to forfeit games, field administrative staff, play with partial squads, have guys go weeks or months without pay checks, and so on. What happened with Slovan is exponentially more embarrassing than a franchise having ownership instability like in the instances you referenced.

The leagues view themselves as a brand and protect the brand by protecting the threatened clubs, going as far as to seize control from an owner. When Frank McCourt was going through his public and hugely contentious divorce, MLB seized the club until new ownership was found. When Donald Sterling made racist comments that threatened the league's image, the NBA took the team from him. It happens, and these are for reasons not entirely financial. If there was an owner who filed for bankruptcy and said he couldn't pay anyone, any of the major NA leagues would step in in an instant to take control of the team. If they didn't, it would create instability, a competitive imbalance, and badly damage the league's image.

The KHL may have only been around for ten years but so many of the teams existed in the old Super League. I remember it. It's not a brand new league. I would expect a league trying to position itself as the preeminent league not just in Russia, but seemingly Eurasia as well, would have contingencies for this type of thing. But, again, maybe it's a cultural difference in expectations for sport club finances.

If someone told me that Lundkvist was playing his final game of the season against Linkoping and that Linkoping had 13 skaters because the owners peaced out and there was no money to pay anyone, I'd make the same comment. And I'd make even more incredulous statements if something like this happened in the NHL.

And look--this stuff does happen in independent league and lower-level, minor league and semi-pro stuff in NA. As well as with upstart leagues. I get it. I understand why it happens. I just though that the KHL, given its status as the second best league in the world, would not have these kinds of things happening. I don't know why that's so offensive.

Finally, my comment, "I thought the KHL was getting it together," was actually sincere. I hadn't heard about guys not getting paid or anything for a couple years, if memory serves, so this came as a legitimate and disappointing surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gross is scoreless so far. He has just two assists in his last 14 games.

Keane has a secondary assist on a Boqvist PPG.

Barron is scoreless through 2.

Wall has allowed 3 goals on 16 shots. He got shelled last time, so this isn't quite the rebound you'd want.

Minnesota/Nanne starts momentarily.

Kjellberg is scoreless. He's on fire though, up to 2G/3A/5P in 44 games.

Hughes starts at 10.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Barron did not play well tonight, but still had some chances to put up points. He looks a lot slower and more hesitant than he did a couple weeks ago. Doesn't look completely healthy which has been a theme this year for the team. The good news is that RPI's goalie Owen Savory aka @Irishguy42 's Lord and Saviory has been nearly as good this year as a freshman as Cornell's goalie was last year. Union should be a more open game based on their style and Barron thrives in those.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Riley Hughes had 1 goal and 3 assists in Victoria's 10-6 win.

Tyler Nanne had the game tying goal on his stick and he missed as the Gophers lose to Notre Dame 3-2.

Tyler Wall ended up with the win, but not pretty.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Riley Hughes had 1 goal and 3 assists in Victoria's 10-6 win.

Tyler Nanne had the game tying goal on his stick and he missed as the Gophers lose to Notre Dame 3-2.

Tyler Wall ended up with the win, but not pretty.
No mention for future Ranger, Alex Newhook, having a Sam Gagner night and eclipsing 100 points on the year? ;)

Reactions: Sarge13

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
nyr2k2- Great points and you are of course right. I think we are all just defeatatory about Russia over here, for us expecting something in Russia to ‘put it together’ is kind of like expecting all politicians and lobbyists in Washington to start acting like Mother Therese... ;)

I actually do think the KHL have cleaned up like you say, but ...

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
ENG for Barron at the end of the game tonight. Overall better game than last night but not quite at the level he was at in January. He hasn't been as physical and a bit quicker to back off of plays. He was apparently a game-time decision last Saturday so I'm hopeful that the bye will help in the playoffs.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
ENG for Barron at the end of the game tonight. Overall better game than last night but not quite at the level he was at in January. He hasn't been as physical and a bit quicker to back off of plays. He was apparently a game-time decision last Saturday so I'm hopeful that the bye will help in the playoffs.
Definitely sounds like he’s been dealing with an injury or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad