Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats Updated 3.1.19) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The situation surrounding his exclusive rights is a bit blurry.

Drafted in 2017, at the age of 20, the rights are only 2 years. But then he signed in the KHL at the start of this season which would mean his rights don't expire (no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL). 2 months later, his contract was terminated due to financial problems with Slovan, and he moved to Örebro (SHL). That could mean his rights carry over another year, or that his rights go back to expiring in June 2019.

I think the Rangers would at least like to give him a shot. They currently have 7 slots open, with O'Gara, Tokarski, Gilmour and Brickley UFA this summer, and Bergman moving to Sweden.

That gives them 10 open slots, since Keane already takes up on. Shestyorkin, Rykov and Kravtsov are another 3, leaving them with 7. Contract slots aren't the issue

Do the Rangers have some college or European free agents in mind? Are the Rangers going to sign 3-4-5 UFA's in July?I'm kind of expecting Shestyorkin and Rykov and hopefully Kravtsov as well. Does Barron come out of college. It might be better he stays for another year but I have him ahead of Virta. They will want a few experienced players in Hartford. The Brickley experiment has worked out pretty well--I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back. There are a lot of things that might factor and FWIW Keane could go back and play overage next year I think.

Virta struggled to get going when he switched from the KHL to SHL--commented that he found it hard to keep pace. Towards the end of the year he seemed to figure it out but IMO it was a very up and down season for him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've always liked Virta. I think with him it just comes down to whether the scouts that watched him this year saw enough progress at a higher level of competition to think he can become an NHL player, and whether his chances are marginal or something more.

He reminds me somewhat of Ryan Mantha. A good D+1 followed by a somewhat down D+2. I know Virta has picked it up, but overall his year probably wasn't exactly what anyone was hoping to see (also seems as if most of Virta's points lately have been on the PP; I could be mistaken but that's my recollection). And, like Mantha, I honestly have no idea what the team will do. I though they should sign Mantha, because why not? But they evidently didn't see enough (which in retrospect, may have been a mistake had Mantha not suffered his potential career-ending injury).

There's also the matter of, do the Rangers think they have enough other guys like Virta already in the system? Do they have their eye on some other European free agents like Meskanen and Lindqvist, or college free agents? They may feel that Gettinger, Lemieux, Meskanen, and some other targets have a better chance of filling the role Virta would fill.

Still, I would sign him. Give him an out clause that if he's in Hartford at a certain date he can exercise and leave. I don't see much downside in giving him a shot. That said, like Mantha, I just don't know what they're going to do. If they don't offer him a contract I'd be mildly disappointed but not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad