Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats Updated 3.1.19) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
They really need to add a couple big, talented, right handed defenseman to the system either via trade or draft. You have to special to be a 5'11 defenseman or close to that in order to be a top 4 guy in the league. I'm not sure Pionk or DeAngelo will ever become that. I will say that I think it is time to give DeAngelo first unit PP time. His offensive skill is higher than Pionk's.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They really need to add a couple big, talented, right handed defenseman to the system either via trade or draft. You have to special to be a 5'11 defenseman or close to that in order to be a top 4 guy in the league. I'm not sure Pionk or DeAngelo will ever become that. I will say that I think it is time to give DeAngelo first unit PP time. His offensive skill is higher than Pionk's.
jy6z4yy.png

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Thanks for the info on Reunanen everyone. I don't know why I thought he was more injured. Maybe I confused him with Sjallin?

The other big key to this rebuild being quicker than expected is to have at least two of those second tier prospects like the Virtas, Pajuniemis, Reunanens, Ragnarson, etc. become NHLers and have at least one of them surpass their expected ceiling.

If Reunanen can come in and play quality second pair minutes, it changes everything.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I just wish DeAngelo had a better shot. It would make his passing that much better if he was more of a dual threat.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Here is response from Patrick at Cap Friendly followed by my initial question about Virta's status:

"I believe you might be right, but we’ll investigate further to make sure and then update accordingly. Once we know for sure we’ll be sure to send you an email letting you know."

Patrick

"Patrick Virta, a 2017 Ranger draft pick, is listed under the Rangers reserve list as being under indefinite control of the Rangers presumably because he signed a KHL contract for this year. During the year, however, Virta and the KHL club agreed on a mutual termination and Virta is now playing for Orebro HK in the Swedish Hockey League. As a result of this switch does Virta's rights with the Rangers now expire on June 1, 2019 as it would have if he had not signed a KHL contract or do his rights stay with the Rangers indefinitely?"

Amazing K:

I had the exact thought about Virta. So last week I wrote to Cap Friendly, which still lists Virta as being under Ranger control indefinitely, to see if Cap Friendly could clarify. If I hear back from the site I will let you know.

Reactions: Irishguy42

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Here is response from Patrick at Cap Friendly followed by my initial question about Virta's status:

"I believe you might be right, but we’ll investigate further to make sure and then update accordingly. Once we know for sure we’ll be sure to send you an email letting you know."

Patrick

"Patrick Virta, a 2017 Ranger draft pick, is listed under the Rangers reserve list as being under indefinite control of the Rangers presumably because he signed a KHL contract for this year. During the year, however, Virta and the KHL club agreed on a mutual termination and Virta is now playing for Orebro HK in the Swedish Hockey League. As a result of this switch does Virta's rights with the Rangers now expire on June 1, 2019 as it would have if he had not signed a KHL contract or do his rights stay with the Rangers indefinitely?"

What would have happened at the end of the season if Virta played out his one-year contract and then signed with a SHL club?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What would have happened at the end of the season if Virta played out his one-year contract and then signed with a SHL club?

In that scenario I'm 100% sure his rights would be extended by 1 year. His rights were 2 years after draft, and the 1 KHL season would not count as one of those.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In that scenario I'm 100% sure his rights would be extended by 1 year. His rights were 2 years after draft, and the 1 KHL season would not count as one of those.

Thanks. It’s probably the same here. Indefinite rights should be off the table so the question is if this extension corresponding to one full year in the KHL is applicable or not. Maybe the fact that the contract was broken before December 31 plays out in the outcome but otherwise I think the Rangers should get a one year extension to sign Virta beyond 2-years allowed if he never signed a KHL contract.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well he sure as shit needs to put up better production in the SHL or wherever he goes next if he wants a contract. I like the player but his season in the KHL seemed to be just okay and since moving to Örebro he hasn't done much. Especially since he's an "older" prospect--he loses that "upside" element that the younger guys have.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Patrik Virta klar för Örebro Hockey

The Örebro GM mentioned that Virta is a guy looking to use Örebro as a stepping stone — so to speak — up for his career. I think it’s very likely that Virta is signing with us this spring if not sooner. They don’t expect him to be there for long.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
An interview with Virta on his play early in the SHL:
Virta om starten i SHL” Jag har spelat riktigt dåligt” - Örebro HK - SHL | SvenskaFans.com

You have now been here in Örebro and SHL for a few weeks now, what do you say about the start?
-To be honest, I think I've played really bad. I have to get my game in order and I feel that I am not in top form yet and am very tired. It is a very high tempo league here. I think it will take a few weeks to adapt to the game here and get the game started. But I know I can do much better from me. I'm pretty disappointed with that.

You have not received so much dividend on the chances that you have created and pretty much missed, especially in the match against Luleå last, do you think it sits in the back of the head?
-I don't think that's it. I know I can score and now it is just a matter of getting into the game and putting the chances. That's what I have to do better.

How would you describe yourself as a player?
-I would describe myself as being quite "all around" and who can both play as a play center or wing. I like to attack and create chances but I feel that I can develop it very much at present.

How would you describe the difference in the game in SHL if you compare with KHL and the Finnish league?
-I feel that the tempo is very fast here. That is the big difference and if you compare with KHL then the opponents may be a little bigger to the size over there. But the pace here is incredible.”

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
An interview with Virta on his play early in the SHL:
Virta om starten i SHL” Jag har spelat riktigt dåligt” - Örebro HK - SHL | SvenskaFans.com

You have now been here in Örebro and SHL for a few weeks now, what do you say about the start?
-To be honest, I think I've played really bad. I have to get my game in order and I feel that I am not in top form yet and am very tired. It is a very high tempo league here. I think it will take a few weeks to adapt to the game here and get the game started. But I know I can do much better from me. I'm pretty disappointed with that.

You have not received so much dividend on the chances that you have created and pretty much missed, especially in the match against Luleå last, do you think it sits in the back of the head?
-I don't think that's it. I know I can score and now it is just a matter of getting into the game and putting the chances. That's what I have to do better.

How would you describe yourself as a player?
-I would describe myself as being quite "all around" and who can both play as a play center or wing. I like to attack and create chances but I feel that I can develop it very much at present.

How would you describe the difference in the game in SHL if you compare with KHL and the Finnish league?
-I feel that the tempo is very fast here. That is the big difference and if you compare with KHL then the opponents may be a little bigger to the size over there. But the pace here is incredible.”

Pretty interesting comment about speed in the SHL from Virta coming from KHL. Pretty sure it’s a combination of switching to smaller ice and lesser than optimal form as Virta honestly noted about himself. From my personal viewing of games from both leagues I definitely think the overall skills from KHL prevail, ie quality of players in the KHL is higher. However, games in SHL look more dynamic with less space and less time to think and execute. Definitely more difficult if your form suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad