Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats Updated 3.1.19) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
When we drafted Reunanen, he was a self-described "attacking defenseman". Has his game evolved away from that aggressiveness, or are we now considering him to be a transition-D just because he hasn't put up the numbers in a pro league yet?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Probably Keane. We still don't know what we have in Miller, IMO.
IMO, I don’t think we’ll really see it with either unless they get first unit powerplay time.

Re: Miller, I don’t know if he’s going to be able to translate how he plays offense to the NHL level unless he finds a role as a rover and plays super aggressive. I see him filling that big minute logging defenseman that handles 5v5 and PK duties for ~24min a game.

I see Keane as being a Jason Demers/Jeff Petry type of player who fits the two-way mold more than an offensive guy. Ideally, he’ll turn into the Penguins version of Justin Schultz, but that’s probably reaching a bit.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
IMO, I don’t think we’ll really see it with either unless they get first unit powerplay time.

Re: Miller, I don’t know if he’s going to be able to translate how he plays offense to the NHL level unless he finds a role as a rover and plays super aggressive. I see him filling that big minute logging defenseman that handles 5v5 and PK duties for ~24min a game.

I see Keane as being a Jason Demers/Jeff Petry type of player who fits the two-way mold more than an offensive guy. Ideally, he’ll turn into the Penguins version of Justin Schultz, but that’s probably reaching a bit.

From a stylistic stand point, this is probably the best comp I've seen for him.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Clark called him a first round talent that slipped. However, he's smaller and the left side is packed with bigger, more talented prospects. Trade bait is my guess.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Clark called him a first round talent that slipped. However, he's smaller and the left side is packed with bigger, more talented prospects. Trade bait is my guess.

Eh, at this point it's too early to say legit prospect or trade bait or just plain bust. He'll never be worth anything in a trade if he doesn't come over and then it's going to be more direct competition and results.

On the left the Rangers have Skjei as the only real long term NHLer at the moment.

In Hartford there's Hajek and Lindgren

Then Miller in college

Rykov in the KHL

Beyond that players like Gross and Ragnarsson aren't going to have a step up on Reunanen at this point IMO. And that's about it on the left unless I"m really forgetting someone. I think guys like Gilmour and Bigras are less likely to be considered real prospects unless they get a chance and run with it.

Miller is probably 2-3 years away, Hajek and Lindgren and Rykov 1-2 years, so it's conceivable that if Reunanen keeps playing well, gets a contract, and comes over in the next couple of years he's competing with these guys on merit rather than seniority, and really if we're lucky one or two of them will prove to be real NHL caliber players.

So...let it shake out. Guys we have high hopes for could fail and guys we write off might make it instead

e: as for "more talented", if Reunanen can keep up playing big minutes for a mens pro team and producing in one way or another I'd hesitate to start labeling more or less talented. He was always supposed to be a talented player and maybe Miller is the only guy that stands out as just more naturally talented than the rest of the group of LD prospects

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He doesn't even need to be signed for a year-and-a-half. This is his first decent year. It's entirely possible we wait another year to see what he does, he regresses, and doesn't even get a contract. I'm not suggesting that's what will happen, just using it as an illustration of why it's a fool's errand to try to predict how it will turn out for him.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Reunanen is a very good player. He has a similar problem to Michael Sauer. Guy just can't stay healthy. Michael Sauer had one hockey season (2010-11) where he was actually healthy. That was it. Some guys beat the injury bug when they mature and get "man strength" as Joe Micheletti would say. Some guys like Fast are going to miss 10-20 games a year based on build and style. Gaborik was like that.

But make no mistake, Reunanen will be signed on potential alone. He could very easily be a mainstay on D for the Rangers for a decade, or very easily be someone who is in and out of the lineup for 2-3 years and vanishes.

As for D and specifically LD. I remember after Skjei was drafred everyone on this board was pissed and at that time the Rangers had the best D in the league and would have no room until 2020. That changed quickly. You draft 6 DMen, two will make it, one is an asset as trade bait, and the other three don't make it or become AHLers. That's actually a very good job as per the numbers.

Reactions: Joey Bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK about Tarmo having health problems. I mean he obviously had one major issue, but the past three seasons (including this one) he has been healthy. He just couldn't crack a lineup and earn consistent minutes for whatever reasons. He was healthy though. Any missed games were just scratches.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
When we drafted Reunanen, he was a self-described "attacking defenseman". Has his game evolved away from that aggressiveness, or are we now considering him to be a transition-D just because he hasn't put up the numbers in a pro league yet?

Bit of both maybe? Not sure. To me his style of play is that of a puck mover more then a "attacking" guy, but he has moves in the OZone… I might be slightly biased towards saying puck mover because he's consistently driving play like a boss.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Reunanen is a very good player. He has a similar problem to Michael Sauer. Guy just can't stay healthy. Michael Sauer had one hockey season (2010-11) where he was actually healthy. That was it. Some guys beat the injury bug when they mature and get "man strength" as Joe Micheletti would say. Some guys like Fast are going to miss 10-20 games a year based on build and style. Gaborik was like that.

But make no mistake, Reunanen will be signed on potential alone. He could very easily be a mainstay on D for the Rangers for a decade, or very easily be someone who is in and out of the lineup for 2-3 years and vanishes.

As for D and specifically LD. I remember after Skjei was drafred everyone on this board was pissed and at that time the Rangers had the best D in the league and would have no room until 2020. That changed quickly. You draft 6 DMen, two will make it, one is an asset as trade bait, and the other three don't make it or become AHLers. That's actually a very good job as per the numbers.

Reunanen hasn't actually been injured that much, he missed his entire draft season but other then that it's only been minor injuries unless i'm forgetting something. He was in and out for TPS because they jerked him around for dumb reasons, he actually played well enough to be a top 6 D-man for them but i guess the coach just didn't trust him for whatever reason.

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

As an unsigned prospect who is finally (in his D+3) making an impact I wouldn't think his trade value would be very high. Better to hang on to him and see how much more improvement he can make. As for his size he's more like an average sized player--he should fill out some more and get stronger. He has made great strides this year.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
He doesn't even need to be signed for a year-and-a-half. This is his first decent year. It's entirely possible we wait another year to see what he does, he regresses, and doesn't even get a contract. I'm not suggesting that's what will happen, just using it as an illustration of why it's a fool's errand to try to predict how it will turn out for him.

Or the Rangers could sign him and loan him back to Liiga or another team (maybe he tries the SHL/KHL/NLA). Both scenarios could happen. I don't think it'll be bad in any of the three....

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers need to get bigger with their right handed defenseman. Pionk is not big and DeAngelo is small. I don't want a defense with 3, 5'11 defenseman. The team is already looking better since McQuaid came back. I'd love it they found a way to dump Shattenkirk but I don't see it. I'm hoping Gorton goes package deals with his trades to get more. Package McQuaid with a Namestnikov to Pitt for a first. They are looking for help on D and with handling Wilson who McQuaid has pummeled in the past. Perhaps Zucc and DeAngelo to a team for a first and NHL ready prospect. I'd like the Rangers to have at least 3 to 4 first rounders this draft. Then the team should be in good shape going forward provided they pick players that the team needs. Like right handed forwards and defenseman instead of ignoring that like they have for a decade. While DeAngelo is righty handed, I don't like his game. Never have. I would rather they brought back a righty defenseman with size, who plays a safe, stay at home game and is under the age of 24.

I think they guy they should target is Dante Fabbro. Nashville is loaded on D but they are missing something up front this year. They simply don't score enough. I think if you send them Zucc and Namestnikov you should be able to get Fabbro, a first and probably a 2020 second rounder. I'm good with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: wafflepadsave

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
That's nice to see... I totally forgot he was even a prospect of ours.

I'm guessing he'll be in camp next season trying to earn a spot. I get the comment about having a team fall of small D, but we don't really have the luxury to pick and choose right now. If he's halfway competent in his own zone height shouldn't be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad