Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion - The Memorial Cup (Samorukov and Safin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Another rough weekend for the NCAA guys.

JD Dudek was the only one to record a point with an assist in another crazy upset win for BC over #3 ranked Umass on Friday. BC lost to Northeastern on Saturday though, so their season is over.

Cornell(Cairns) and Harvard(Marino) lost to Clarkson.

The bracket is set for the NCAA tourney that starts next weekend.

Harvard vs. (4) UMass, Providence vs. (3) Minnesota State and Cornell vs. Northeastern are games with Oilers prospects.

I am trying to be patient and hoping Gretzky is behind the scenes working on a number of things with the UFA college "advisors" or ready to as soon as their season ends. It is tough watching so many teams sign UFA college players or invite them to their AHL team on a try-out or PTO. So far there are a number left but just from early indications since Gretzky started it appears from the outside that he procrastinates too much (ie. trade deadline, etc.). His strength is player recruitment/draft though so perhaps we get a big fish like Sturm or someone which would be nice. That would make up for all these little fish.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am trying to be patient and hoping Gretzky is behind the scenes working on a number of things with the UFA college "advisors" or ready to as soon as their season ends. It is tough watching so many teams sign UFA college players or invite them to their AHL team on a try-out or PTO. So far there are a number left but just from early indications since Gretzky started it appears from the outside that he procrastinates too much (ie. trade deadline, etc.). His strength is player recruitment/draft though so perhaps we get a big fish like Sturm or someone which would be nice. That would make up for all these little fish.
I don't think he procrastinates at all. He is just firm in his wants and needs and doesn't bend and break whenever. He was also being thrust into a job and learned on the go

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don't think he procrastinates at all. He is just firm in his wants and needs and doesn't bend and break whenever. He was also being thrust into a job and learned on the go

I agree. I know some people were pissed that he didn’t trade Petrovic for whatever was offered but I personally think he realized he needed to draw a line in the sand.

Chia took whatever deals were offered with very little negotiation so Gretzky had to make clear that things aren’t going to be like that anymore.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Probably won't hear too much on the college UFA front until next week.

The first round and quarterfinals of the NCAA tourney are March 29th-31st. The semifinals and final aren't until April 11th/13th.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
6 games tonight.

OHL

Niagara (Kirill Maksimov) at North Bay - Game 3 @ 5 PM (Series tied 1-1)
Listen at 610 CKTB St. Catherines or watch on OHL Live

Guelph (Dmitri Samorukov) at Kitchener - Game 3 @ 5 PM (Guelph leads series 2-0)
Listen at 1460 CJOY Guelph or watch on OHL Live

London (Evan Bouchard) at Windsor - Game 3 @ 5 PM (London leads series 2-0)
Listen at 980 CFPL London or watch on OHL Live

Saginaw (Ryan McLeod) at Sarnia - Game 3 @ 5 PM (Saginaw leads series 2-0)
Listen at 100.5 WSGW Carrollton or watch on OHL Live

QMJHL

Halifax (Ostap Safin) at Quebec - Game 3 @ 5 PM (Quebec leads series 2-0)
Listen at CJNI 95.7 Halifax or watch on QMJHL Live

Drummondville (Olivier Rodrique) at Gatineau - Game 3 @ 5:30 PM (Drummondville leads series 2-0)
Listen at 92.1 CJDM Drummondville or watch on QMJHL Live

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone know why Joel Persson is not playing in the playoffs? Is he hurt? I was hoping when they get knocked out tomorrow that he would come over and play.

Växjö Lakers HC at eliteprospects.com
Nervmind. Found it.:
upload_2019-3-26_15-38-8.png

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Not sure if it has been posted here, but Maksimov likely to miss this whole series and probably round 2 as well. Huge blow to Niagara as Oshawa will not be easy in the 2nd round.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure if it has been posted here, but Maksimov likely to miss this whole series and probably round 2 as well. Huge blow to Niagara as Oshawa will not be easy in the 2nd round.
That sucks. Was hoping to catch a glimpse of him in playoff action. Game 5 is a national broadcast on Friday.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The IceDogs ran off with the Battalion's dress uniforms 6-0 and take a 2-1 series lead. Kirill Maksimov wasn't in the lineup.

Dmitri Samorukov had an ENG and an assist, 5 shots, served 2 for hooking and was +2, as the Storm washed the oven and fridge out the door 6-3 to take a 3-0 series lead.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League (includes highlights)

Evan Bouchard had 2 assists, a shot and was +2, as the Knights lanced the fuel drums of the Spitfires 6-3 to take a 3-0 series lead.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League (includes highlights)

Ryan McLeod had no points, no shots, won 5 of 16 faceoffs and was +1, as the Spirit made the Sting do the bee dance all night 6-1 to take a 3-0 series lead.

Ostap Safin had an assist, a shot (not considered dangerous), lost his only faceoff and was even, as the Mooseheads bit their way up the Remparts castle wall 3-1 and cut the series lead to 2-1.
QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features. (includes highlights)

The Voltigeurs made the Olympiques do the pole vault in a 7 foot high concrete room 7-4 to take a 3-0 series lead. Olivier Rodrique wasn't in the lineup.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
One game on Wednesday plus a non-prospect game on TV.

QMJHL

Drummondville (Olivier Rodrique) at Gatineau - Game 4 @ 5:30 PM (Drummondville leads series 3-0)

OHL

Ottawa at Hamilton - Game 4 @ 5 PM (Ottawa leads series 3-0)
Watch on Sportsnet 360

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I agree. I know some people were pissed that he didn’t trade Petrovic for whatever was offered but I personally think he realized he needed to draw a line in the sand.

Chia took whatever deals were offered with very little negotiation so Gretzky had to make clear that things aren’t going to be like that anymore.
Have to disagree with you. What was the point in keeping Petrovic when they have Gravel sitting in the PB as well. The other thing is that it hamstrings them from potentially signing some undrafted juniors or college players and locking up Hawkete and Descharnais and Berglund early so they are not tempted to go to free agency because we are at 48 of 50 contracts now. That was a bad decision. No two ways about it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Have to disagree with you. What was the point in keeping Petrovic when they have Gravel sitting in the PB as well. The other thing is that it hamstrings them from potentially signing some undrafted juniors or college players and locking up Hawkete and Descharnais and Berglund early so they are not tempted to go to free agency because we are at 48 of 50 contracts now. That was a bad decision. No two ways about it.

Maybe no one wanted him?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Maybe no one wanted him?

I think they mentioned at the time that Pittsburgh was interested.

The other point though was we still could have made the playoffs and he wanted to keep Petrovic as insurance in case one of the d men got hurt.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Actually, they are fine if they want to sign both the college guys and Berglund.

Berglund’s contract would start next season so has no bearing on this season’s limit.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bouchard and Samorukov continue to shine but on the opposite side of the spectrum, McLeod continues to be really underwhelming, at least by the numbers. Hardly ever scores, rarely gets a ton of shots and seems just ok on faceoffs, inconsistent I guess is the right word.

I hope this is just a case of the numbers not telling the whole story or him being one of those players who is a better fit for the pro game because, on paper, this has been a weak Draft+1 season for him. Underwhelming for a high 2nd rounder.
It's weird because the few times I've seen him on TV (when he played for Mississauga), I saw a player whose skill should translate better to higher production (he sniped a PP goal in one of the games), kind of how I felt about Samorukov before he blossomed post-WJC so I wonder if it's a usage issue in Saginaw.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Bouchard and Samorukov continue to shine but on the opposite side of the spectrum, McLeod continues to be really underwhelming, at least by the numbers. Hardly ever scores, rarely gets a ton of shots and seems just ok on faceoffs, inconsistent I guess is the right word.

I hope this is just a case of the numbers not telling the whole story or him being one of those players who is a better fit for the pro game because, on paper, this has been a weak Draft+1 season for him. Underwhelming for a high 2nd rounder.
It's weird because the few times I've seen him on TV (when he played for Mississauga), I saw a player whose skill should translate better to higher production (he sniped a PP goal in one of the games), kind of how I felt about Samorukov before he blossomed post-WJC so I wonder if it's a usage issue in Saginaw.

I think he’s used in a lot of defensive situations since they have other offensive weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad