Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion - The Memorial Cup (Samorukov and Safin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think Safin recovered from the hip injury. Lucky for him he has a contract. If it is the hip and he can actually get rehabbed it might be better for him if they can loan him out to a Finnish league team. I am not sure how the ECHL works because they have a salary cap there. Will his entry level deal comply with that?

9 pts in 10 games before the injury and 4 points in 28 games after the injury, including playoffs. It would not surprise me if they said an extended layoff or surgery was ahead of him.
Why a Finnish team? Safin is a Czech and was developed in the Czech system even playing 8 games in the top Czech league before coming to the Q last season. I think sending him back home for a year or two might be a good option for him to try to rediscover his game. He's not looking healthy or like the same player that we drafted. He is normally a fast skater with great hands and a wicked (albeit sometimes inaccurate) shot, and right now he's not showing any of those attributes.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Why a Finnish team? Safin is a Czech and was developed in the Czech system even playing 8 games in the top Czech league before coming to the Q last season. I think sending him back home for a year or two might be a good option for him to try to rediscover his game. He's not looking healthy or like the same player that we drafted. He is normally a fast skater with great hands and a wicked (albeit sometimes inaccurate) shot, and right now he's not showing any of those attributes.

I like the Finnish teams as a know quantity for player development that is a bit less competitive than SHL or AHL but well above the ECHL. I would say Czech Extraliga is a definite step below Finnish Liiga because most of the best Czech players end up in the better paying leagues so if he could catch on with a Finn team it is a better development path. You are right about the way he looks. If its not a correctable medical thing he is going nowhere. Once the season is over maybe they will be more forthcoming about his situation. A 19 year old can have an off year statistically but the skills don't just disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad