Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
My shot at the 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning assuming a 83 million salary cap

Miller (5.3) Stamkos (8.5) Kucherov (9.5)
Palat (5.3) Point (8) Johnson (5)
Killorn (4.5) Cirelli (.7) Volkov (.9)
Erne (1) Paquette (1.5) Joeseph (.7)

Conacher (.7)

Hedman (7.9) Karlsson (8)
McDonaugh (6.8) Cernak (.7)
Sergachev (.9) Foote (.9)

Masin (.7)

Vasi (3.5)
Dom (1.2)

82.2 cap hit

Forwards out ; Callahan Gourde Martel Forwards in; Volkov Conacher
Defensemen out; Stralman Coburn Girardi Ruuta Defensemen in; Karlsson Foote Masin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Uh Yes.

Is this rest of this a coping mechanism? The Warriors MADE THE FINALS, Tampa won ZERO games in the playoffs, they aren't even in the same stratosphere of choke.

Do you even watch basketball? The first 1 vs 8 upset ever didn't even happen til 2007. It's happened twice this year alone. If you somehow think being the only team to ever blow a 3-1 series lead in the Finals and doing it while winning 73 games (the all time record) in a league as watered down as the NBA is somehow not a bigger choke then I don't know what to say. But years will go by and some other #1 seed will f*** up just like we did. They might win a game but they'll lose all the same. We're gonna live the rest of our lives and we may never see what GSW did again.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Seriously. We're at the point where unless another team breaks the all-time wins record then gets swept, no one is topping this one. Considering that's been standing for about 40 years, buckle in cause we're going to be hearing about this for awhile sans a cup win.

We agree on the latter at least

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You know why the Bruins and Detroit narratives didn't stick? They ended up winning the Cup. We win the Cup next season, this season's choke is just part of the journey.

But until then? Worst in hockey history. You're being an idiot if you think otherwise.

*shrug* I'm over it. I think time will heal as it always does. A Cup can too

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think its how you look at it really. Yea I mean what we saw is one of the biggest choke jobs in sports history if not the biggest. I think its a far bigger choke job if we dont win one with this core. We realistically have a few years at that. I do subscribe to the idea that anything can happen in the playoffs and we are seeing that right now. I think being able to separate how the game is played during the regular season and playoffs is key here. This team was so impressive during the regular season it still baffles me how we could barely score a goal in the playoffs. We were sooo dominant for stretches this regular season I still cant believe how badly this team sucked during the playoffs. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Its on Coop for sure but its definitely on the players too. I just saw no fight in that team compared to the teams I saw before that played in the playoffs. It takes an entirely different attitude and our guys for whatever reason couldnt get it together this year. That is what will be disappointing for me, but at the same time I feel this team still has some opportunities ahead. As long as we win one with this core I will forget about this one although it will be hard to.

I still havent forgotten the other years we came so close. This one hurts because the expectations were so high compared to those other times when I wasnt really expecting it besides maybe last year. Although I wasnt sure if we would get by Boston like that. That is my point though about these playoffs, they are so unpredictable. Nobody thought or saw this coming. Especially our own fans who watched that team dominate a ton of games this year. So yes chalk it up as the most disappointing finish this team could ever have but at the same time lets realize how crazy this tournament is and how we need a little more than some effort change to make it far again. There isnt a perfect puzzle but there putting together the puzzle, plus getting that luck and having the team gel at the right time. We just had none of it this year. I thought and many thought it was our year. I think for me the playoffs are so unpredictable and we need to respect that. Yes lets play better and maybe we should fire coop before the next one but lets not forget that may not even be enough. We have seen some really great regular season teams not win a cup. Lets just hope we can get one with this core. Thats all it really is for me when it comes down to it.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Everyone already says regular season is meaningless so how is it a choke when you're supposed to throw away all those wins? Choke to me is losing when you're already up big in the actual series. It's the biggest embarrassment, but not necessarily an actual choke.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Conacher (.7)

Masin (.7)

Vasi (3.5)
Dom (1.2)

82.2 cap hit

Defensemen out; Stralman Coburn Girardi Ruuta Defensemen in; Karlsson Foote Masin

you forgot Matt Carle he is a 1.83 cap hit next year

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Conacher (.7)

Masin (.7)

Vasi (3.5)
Dom (1.2)

82.2 cap hit

I just don't think this lineup makes us a better team. Miller on the top line should be a wash to what Johnson did last year, I just don't think Point can carry Palat and Johnson enough to get them back to 50 point players and will bring him down a little. The 3rd and 4th would be the same. We need to move out one of Johnson or Palat, they've run their course here. If they stay they need to be bottom 6 guys and Joseph should get a top 6 look.

On D I just don't see the point in having Sergachev and Karlsson on the same team that also has Hedman. If you really want Karlsson then trade Sergachev because he will never get the offensive starts or PP time he needs with those two ahead of him. If you want Sergachev to hit his potential then you don't need Karlsson as you can let Sergachev play the role that Karlsson would if brought in.

I also wouldn't be against looking to move Erne and Paquette to save a few bucks and to freshen up the 4th line with guys like Stephens and Verheaghe.

Reactions: Raymones

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Imagine if we traded for Simmonds, 3 points in 19 games with the preds :laugh:

Although I wouldn't be opposed to taking a 1 year contract with him, guy's not securing a long term one after his showing this year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I just don't think this lineup makes us a better team. Miller on the top line should be a wash to what Johnson did last year, I just don't think Point can carry Palat and Johnson enough to get them back to 50 point players and will bring him down a little. The 3rd and 4th would be the same. We need to move out one of Johnson or Palat, they've run their course here. If they stay they need to be bottom 6 guys and Joseph should get a top 6 look.

On D I just don't see the point in having Sergachev and Karlsson on the same team that also has Hedman. If you really want Karlsson then trade Sergachev because he will never get the offensive starts or PP time he needs with those two ahead of him. If you want Sergachev to hit his potential then you don't need Karlsson as you can let Sergachev play the role that Karlsson would if brought in.

I also wouldn't be against looking to move Erne and Paquette to save a few bucks and to freshen up the 4th line with guys like Stephens and Verheaghe.
Johnson would be the first one I move because he plays better at center and palat would be the second body I’d move well because palat for two years has pretty much done nothing? I’d definitely take karlsson we need a puck mover other then Hedman we don’t have a good one. I’d keep paquette and probably trade Erne away.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Imagine if we traded for Simmonds, 3 points in 19 games with the preds :laugh:

Although I wouldn't be opposed to taking a 1 year contract with him, guy's not securing a long term one after his showing this year.
He had 16 goals with the Flyers before the trade though.

At 30 or 31, and recently productive, we shouldn't automatically assume that every coach is maximizing on their abilities.

Maybe the benefit of watching so much ECHL hockey is to see guys get 2-3-4 chances with different teams in a season, and then it finally clicks when they find the right coach and teammates.

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

Conacher (.7)

Masin (.7)

Vasi (3.5)
Dom (1.2)

82.2 cap hit

Devil's advocate: are we 100% positive Point is gonna skip a bridge deal and get around 8M per?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

I actually agree with most of what you are saying I just don't think Johnson and Palat are going anywhere. I also don't think we will be better than this year due to cap restraints (but look what happened this year !!). I'm not sure I agree with the Karlsson Sergachev take but in my opinion Sergachev is not ready for the role he has ! Stephens has potential and would be a nice fit but Verhaeghe IS NOT a forth line guy.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Everyone already says regular season is meaningless so how is it a choke when you're supposed to throw away all those wins? Choke to me is losing when you're already up big in the actual series. It's the biggest embarrassment, but not necessarily an actual choke.
Gotta disagree. They didn't win a game. I'm not sure they won 3 individual periods over the 4 games they lost. That's a massive choke.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Johnson would be the first one I move because he plays better at center and palat would be the second body I’d move well because palat for two years has pretty much done nothing? I’d definitely take karlsson we need a puck mover other then Hedman we don’t have a good one. I’d keep paquette and probably trade Erne away.
Don't forget the no trade clauses Palat and Johnson have and the fact that Cooper loves them. If it was up to me I would move them to, I just don't see it happening this off season.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Devil's advocate: are we 100% positive Point is gonna skip a bridge deal and get around 8M per?
Not 100 % but the Bridge doesn't happen as much anymore and we may just be better to sign him now at a lower cap hit than wait for a huge hit a few years down the road.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Why? We aren't the first President's Trophy winner to lose round 1 and we won't be the last. Are we really gonna call ourselves the worst because of a sweep and 62 wins? Series have been lost to far worse teams than this year's CBJ. Hell this isn't even the worst choke in pro sports. What the Golden State Warriors did a few years back winning 73 games and setting the all time record only to choke a 3-1 series lead to ****ing Cleveland is far worse than anything we ever could have hoped to accomplish.

Someone's gonna mess up next year and they're not gonna say "at least it's not Tampa" it's gonna be "oh this is so bad"

They made the finals. Your example is horrid. We didn't win a post season game. You can scream this all you want but it doesn't change the general narrative. You can post it a million times and it will still be true...greatest choke in hockey(at the very least).

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Do you even watch basketball? The first 1 vs 8 upset ever didn't even happen til 2007. It's happened twice this year alone. If you somehow think being the only team to ever blow a 3-1 series lead in the Finals and doing it while winning 73 games (the all time record) in a league as watered down as the NBA is somehow not a bigger choke then I don't know what to say. But years will go by and some other #1 seed will **** up just like we did. They might win a game but they'll lose all the same. We're gonna live the rest of our lives and we may never see what GSW did again.

You are trying to devalue the 62 win, historic season by placing us in the ALL NUMBER ONE SEED category. Would you agree that all #1 seeds are not the same? Yes? At this point your argument is done. Thank you.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
I guess it depends how one defines choke. I define it as snatching defeat from the jaws of almost certain victory (in a series or game). The only game we choked was game 1--after that we were behind every game. A massive disappointment sure, but I personally wouldn't call it a choke. I would say game 7 2013 Leafs/Bruins was heck of a lot bigger choke in a hockey setting.

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Gotta disagree. They didn't win a game. I'm not sure they won 3 individual periods over the 4 games they lost. That's a massive choke.
What did we choke away besides game 1? Regular season wins have never guaranteed anything in the postseason. Just because we had 62 of them doesn't make a difference. Still started 0-0.

It's the worst, most embarrassing postseason performance ever, regardless.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What did we choke away besides game 1? Regular season wins have never guaranteed anything in the postseason. Just because we had 62 of them doesn't make a difference. Still started 0-0.
Who really cares what the right term of it is? What we did in the playoffs was f***ing embarrassing after that regular season, no way around it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I actually agree with most of what you are saying I just don't think Johnson and Palat are going anywhere. I also don't think we will be better than this year due to cap restraints (but look what happened this year !!). I'm not sure I agree with the Karlsson Sergachev take but in my opinion Sergachev is not ready for the role he has ! Stephens has potential and would be a nice fit but Verhaeghe IS NOT a forth line guy.
Sergachev can easily play the 4th forward role if we let him, we just keep trying to make him a two way player which he isn't ready for. He's going to struggle defensively no matter how you deploy him, we need to play him to his strengths which is offense which he won't get to do with Hedman and Karlsson. I don't believe Verheaghe would be a good 4th liner in the sense we've used our 4th like lately. I just think we could use some new guys a chance, Erne isn't going to get much better and Paquette has peaked offensively.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Guys, hear me out on this...

Ferland and TMFVR...It is actually a good idea.

I have been advocating Ferland, because I think he is the perfect fit for us. He can play from the Second line down to the Fourth and be a force on all 3 lines. He plays with an edge and got underrated hands.

TMFVR, the meme level is too high to disregard. Will slot in nicely on to the third pairing also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad