2018-2019 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Rinne is one of those guys, that I just can't see playing for another NHL team (hell, I doubt he's even going back to Finland when he's done). He loves the organization/city and they love him back.

Guaranteed first Pred to have his number retired.

Very similar story to Hank in NYR.

Think Rinne was a 8th round pick. Got them to finals and arguably their best player on the ice for his tenure.

Hank was a 7th round pick. Got them to the finals and arguably their best player on the ice for his tenure.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Wondering if Kovy is rethinking that team choice....

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Driver shouldn't have leaked the video, that's awful to do to someone. That said... it tells something about you as a coach when your guys speak about you (and laugh at you) like this.

“Do you notice that when (Raymond) runs the video, if you actually do pay attention, he doesn’t ever teach you anything? He just commentates what’s happening.”

“Here’s the other thing, too. We don’t change anything, ever. So why do we even have a meeting? I haven’t paid attention in three weeks.”

"No "coach red flags" at f***ing school."

Everybody complains about their boss sometimes and nobody's perfect but you don't talk like this about someone you respect. There's zero respect for the coach there. Absolute zero.

Wonder if/how the Sens react to this latest mess...

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Now it's kinda like.. what if we had lost both games to Jets. Would Boughner get fired and Q hired?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If you're Tallon you need to at least inquire about what it would take to get Q here. This is a golden opportunity.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
The year we hired Boughner, the available crop of coaches were basically him or Housley. Freaking terrible timing considering we’ve seen Babcock, Julien, and Trotz and now Quenneville become available. So frustrating. These are rare opportunities to get top-calibre coaching.

It’s not an easy move, but I think Tallon has to fire Boughner and hire Quenneville. Can’t pass this up, especially considering he’ll probably end up in Detroit or something to damn us further.

Firing Boughner is a much different case than Gallant because 1) Tallon would be making the decision rather than an illegitimate newcomer in Rowe. 2) We have a better option/plan this time. 3) Gallant had 3 successful years prior and then an average start to a season. We’re literally dead last in the league right now.

Reactions: pantherbot

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Damn. Couldn't Chicago have waited three more months before firing him?
At that point we'd clearly know if season was salvageable or not; if we were still a mess it's easy to explain it to the players why we're firing the coach. Right now, we risk firing a (favorite?) coach after a brilliant second half of the season last year and a bad start this year that can be largely attributed to crappy goaltending.
I mean, at least it's not "let's fire Gallant we have #Roweplan" but still not sure if a change is the right plan here. Could just as easily cost us yet another season as guys spend twenty games getting used to QuennSystem.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
It will get really interesting if the Panthers miss the playoffs this season and Quenneville is still available. I don't think there's any real chance of anything happening before the end of the season though, so don't get your hopes up.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
It will get really interesting if the Panthers miss the playoffs this season and Quenneville is still available. I don't think there's any real chance of anything happening before the end of the season though, so don't get your hopes up.
No way he's still available by then IMO.
That said, and I hate to bring this up but... is ownership even willing to pay for him? I mean, maybe they are (we really don't know how much they're willing to spend) but he was paid $6 million per year. That's six times what Boughner's making.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No way he's still available by then IMO.
That said, and I hate to bring this up but... is ownership even willing to pay for him? I mean, maybe they are (we really don't know how much they're willing to spend) but he was paid $6 million per year. That's six times what Boughner's making.

I mean barring a miracle longshot playoffs are already out of the question. It's not unreasonable to make a change after 2 straight non playoff years

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The year we hired Boughner, the available crop of coaches were basically him or Housley. Freaking terrible timing considering we’ve seen Babcock, Julien, and Trotz and now Quenneville become available. So frustrating. These are rare opportunities to get top-calibre coaching.

It’s not an easy move, but I think Tallon has to fire Boughner and hire Quenneville. Can’t pass this up, especially considering he’ll probably end up in Detroit or something to damn us further.

Firing Boughner is a much different case than Gallant because 1) Tallon would be making the decision rather than an illegitimate newcomer in Rowe. 2) We have a better option/plan this time. 3) Gallant had 3 successful years prior and then an average start to a season. We’re literally dead last in the league right now.

You really think Babcock would have come to the Panthers?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
You really think Babcock would have come to the Panthers?

The opposite: lamenting that great coaches are suddenly becoming available in recent years and we havent ever had the fortunate timing to even interview any of them. Now is another opportunity and it’s probably bad timing again since Boughner is so new.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I mean barring a miracle longshot playoffs are already out of the question. It's not unreasonable to make a change after 2 straight non playoff years
"Miracle" is too strong - we still have 71 games to play and we collected plenty of "loser points" that help.
We would have to go 40-24-7 (or 39-23-9, or some similar variation) to get to 96 points. That's a 100 points pace over a whole season - not exactly easy but not too crazy either IMO.

Point-wise, we're actually at the exact same amount of points as we were last year. Now we needed a "miracle run" then, but we were also pretty horrible during games 12-47 (had 15 wins, 16 losses and 6 OTL during that stretch to add to the miserable start). If we can be better now with Luongo back, playoffs are still realistic.

Reactions: Ratsreign

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The opposite: lamenting that great coaches are suddenly becoming available in recent years and we havent ever had the fortunate timing to even interview any of them. Now is another opportunity and it’s probably bad timing again since Boughner is so new.

Even if we had had the timing, there was no way Babcock was coming to Florida.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The situation with the Senators reminds of Jamarcus Russell. The team had a feeling he wasnt watching tapes so they sent him a blank tape and asked what he watched....and he said "Blitz Packages."

Team clearly doesnt listen to the coach(es) anymore.

Also, Q is nice, I am more interested in what players we can weed from them. How is Keith these days? He could be the Soup replacement Ekblad needs.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

71 games left. Let's at least wait another month or so before we totally write off the season. I think most would agree that this is a different team with Luongo (as sad as that is to have to rely on a 39 year old goalie), so as long as he stays healthy, there's definitely time to turn things around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad