2018-2019 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Boston went to game seven and their line up is far from big. Sure they have Chara & Carlo on the back hand, but they also have Krug & Grzelcyk who are undersized. Their forward group is pretty small too. They have only 3 forwards 6'2'' and over in Kuraly, Coyle and Backes. Backes didn't even play in the last games of the finals. You need talent and speed more than anything to win. Penguins are another great example of that.

The smaller Boston team got beat by the bigger St.Louis team, thank-you for proving my point. Since we are giving examples, St. Louis, Washington, Boston, LA, Chicago, and all you can come up with is Pittsburgh?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The smaller Boston team got beat by the bigger St.Louis team, thank-you for proving my point. Since we are giving examples, St. Louis, Washington, Boston, LA, Chicago, and all you can come up with is Pittsburgh?
Well, it's actually Pitts x 3. Chicago's last cup was won against a bigger Boston team. I don't think it's a disadvantage to be bigger, quite clearly they opposite. But, not at the expense of talent and speed.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Shouldn't we be surprised that the organization gives up on Jarret Tyszka at this point?

Didn't he show that he could at least be a decent AHLer? I'm confused.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
We have plenty of D in the AHL. If they think the best he could be is an AHLer, he's not needed, unless it's in the ECHL on an AHL deal.

Agree with the plenty of D in the system argument. Just surprising since MB loves his depth on defense. Probably has to do with the 50-contract limit.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Agree with the plenty of D in the system argument. Just surprising since MB loves his depth on defense. Probably has to do with the 50-contract limit.
He talked about him and Walford today. Basically said with the 50 contract limit, he wasn't comfortable with signing them instead of someone like Leskinen (he specifically mentioned Leskinen)

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He talked about him and Walford today. Basically said with the 50 contract limit, he wasn't comfortable with signing them instead of someone like Leskinen (he specifically mentioned Leskinen)
But they had no problem offering contracts to players like Waked and Pezzeta...

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

First, I just want to say that down the stretch last year, Pezzetta - Verbeek - Waked was a solid 4th line that gave opponents fits with their aggressive forecheck and their quickness.

However, I agree that both Pezzetta and Waked aren't anything special to build with. However, the context I would give you is when they signed them both, the Habs' depth at forward wasn't as deep as it is now.

When Waked was signed, there was no Poehling or Ikonen in the pipeline. There were Evans and Vejdemo, but they weren't signed so no idea how that would go (seeing as one was in NCAA and the other in Europe).

When Pezzetta was signed, Poehling and Ikonen were drafted (but not signed), but there was no Ylönen, McShane, Olofsson, Teasdale, Suzuki, Hillis, and Fonstad in the pipeline.

I'm willing to bet that Waked and Pezzetta won't be back after their ELC's or at the least, would be ECHL depth.

As for Walford and Tyszka, I would have liked to have them signed. More Tyszka than Walford. But at the time they needed to be signed, there are Ouellet, Olofsson, Sklenicka, and the one who really made them expendable, Leskinen (all on the left side).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Shouldn't we be surprised that the organization gives up on Jarret Tyszka at this point?

Didn't he show that he could at least be a decent AHLer? I'm confused.

there could be more to the story, as he's had injury problems and that was a bad concussion as he was out 3 months which isn't a good sign to begin with and then he gets a in fight in his first game back. So maybe there was something they didn't like in his medicals, maybe they told him not to fight and he did, maybe they thought he must not be very bright if he's fighting in his first game back from a concussion. Or maybe they just didn't think he progressed enough.

I liked him and would have signed him due to how thin we are at LD and he's got NHL size, skating, speed, mobility with some offensive upside but needs a good bit of work in his own end. I would have signed him and sent him back to the WHL, a move I'm usually not in favor of as I don't like 20 year olds playing against 18 year olds on average but since he's missed so much time, it wouldn't hurt. But I don't have all the details.

Reactions: Meat Wave

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can't wait to update this with our new toys

If all stays as is, then ten new toys will be added by tomorrow evening. But I'm betting he will move some picks for extra picks, some for next year's draft.

Graduated prospects from this thread: Poehling, Suzuki, Primeau, Brook, and Teasdale.

Discarded prospects from this thread: Walford and Tyszka.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If all stays as is, then ten new toys will be added by tomorrow evening. But I'm betting he will move some picks for extra picks, some for next year's draft.

I wouldn't be surprised, you can see it with the decisions made on Walford and Tyszka.. I can imagine one of those 5ths will be gone for one next year.

Reactions: Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So with the Habs selecting Cole Caufield, The Habs have another player that will participate at the Summer Showcase.

Canada: Fonstad & McShane
USA: Harris & Caufield
Sweden: Olofsson

Reactions: Anathema

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

We will drop Waked like we did Bourque if he take on a cap hit for somebody. If not it's one more year and then no Q.O.

Our contract space has not been issue with MB. It's one of things he's done well.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
I guess the Habs were right not to sign Walford or Tyzska, no team was even willing to waste a 7th round pick to draft them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That is a real deep prospect pool.

Montreal Canadiens Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.png

Reactions: jaffy27

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So next season:

WHL: Cole Fonstad, Gianni Fairbrother
QMJHL: Samuel Houde, Rafael Harvey-Pinard
OHL: Allan McShane, Cam Hillis, Jacob LeGuerrier

Finland: Joni Ikonen, Jesse Ylonen
Sweden: Jacob Olofsson, Mattias Norlinder, Frederik Nissen
Russia: Alexander Romanov, Arsen Khisamutdinov

NCAA

University of Denver: Brett Stapley
University of Wisconsin: Jack Gorniak, Cole Caufield
Northeastern University: Jayden Struble, Jordan Harris

Other:

BCHL: Kieran Ruscheinski (Salmon Arm, then NCAA)
USHL: Rhett Pitlick (Omaha, then to University of Minnesota 2020-2021)

21 prospects to follow. That's a lot.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So next season:

WHL: Cole Fonstad, Gianni Fairbrother
QMJHL: Samuel Houde, Rafael Harvey-Pinard
OHL: Allan McShane, Cam Hillis, Jacob LeGuerrier

Finland: Joni Ikonen, Jesse Ylonen
Sweden: Jacob Olofsson, Mattias Norlinder, Frederik Nissen
Russia: Alexander Romanov, Arsen Khisamutdinov

NCAA

University of Denver: Brett Stapley
University of Wisconsin: Jack Gorniak, Cole Caufield
Northeastern University: Jordan Harris

Other:

BCHL: Jayden Struble (then to Northeastern 2020-2021)
USHL: Rhett Pitlick (then to University of Minnesota 2020-2021)
AJHL: Kieran Ruscheinski (then ???)

21 prospects to follow. That's a lot.

Timmins in his presser said they expect Struble to be at Northeastern this fall. And in his own littler presser, Struble said he's undecided on where he'll go and he's open to anything.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
looks like another big incoming rookie class to Laval in '20-'21 as Hillis, McShane, LeGuerrier, Fonstad, Fairbrother, Harvey-Pinard, Houde, plus any of the Euro's are all eligible to play in Laval. Not that all will be signed but damn that's a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad