2018-2019 AUS Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yes, but they've been outshot in each game; 22-30 vs PEI, 36-38 vs DAL & 14-35 vs SFX. You can't keep that up and expect to win a lot of games - but on the other hand they don't have to win a lot of games, just 1 more than DAL :sarcasm:

Montpetit will steal them some games this season.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Here are my 2018-2019 AUS Predictions:

1) UNB (24-2-4 last season, 1st place) - Like I say ever year, they are the top regular season team until proven otherwise. While I think they are more skilled and talented this season (at least on paper), I don't see them quite hitting the 24-2-4 record they had last year. The key for them this year will be the goaltending (like usual) and the power play (need to be better than 18.6%, which was well below ACA/X/SMU).

The next 3 teams are so close that I could see it going any which way, but here is how I predict it...

2) SMU (18-10-2, 4th place) - I was tempted to put X here just because of Marchand, but I like the rest of SMU's roster a lot better than St. FX this year. The Huskies may have finished 10 points out of 2nd place last year, but their goal differential was +32 compared to +34 for X so the two were probably more even than the standings suggest.

3) St. FX (22-4-4, 2nd place) - I'm not sure they replaced enough of the scoring they lost with Clarke/Kontos, but Marchand will keep them in almost every game. They will probably play quite a few close games but I don't see them going 6-0-4 in one goal games again. That record in close games tells me they were a bit fortunate at times last season. They also had a ridiculous 26% power play + 91% penalty kill, two numbers that will be hard to replicate. I see them slipping this season down to 3rd.

4) Acadia (18-10-2, 3rd place) - A bumper crop of recruits to help offset the loss of a number of their top players. The future should be bright but I think we see enough growing pains/struggles at times to keep them out of the top three this season.

5) UPEI (11-18-1, 5th place) - Losing Powers and MacKinnon are obviously massive blows, but I can't see them giving up 136 goals again. They are usually good for a couple wins against the top teams every season which will put them comfortably in no-mans land at 5th. Not good enough to break into the top-4, but shouldn't have much issue being better than the two teams below them

6) Moncton (3-24-3, 7th place) - Probably the team that has best positioned itself to be the most improved with the addition of blue-chippers Montpetit and St-Cyr + another much-needed solid recruit in defenceman Lanoue. A 3-0-0 pre-season is reason for optimism, but getting out-shot by an average of 11 shots per game isn't a recipe for sustained success. Keep in mind that they did finish 10 points behind Dal last year, which isn't an insignificant number, but in their five head to head games they picked up only 3 points (1-3-1) to 8 (4-1-0) for the Tigers. If they are able to flip that this season that alone would tie the two teams. I think Montpetit can steal enough points in the other games to bring them out of the basement.

7) Dalhousie (9-20-1, 6th place) - I don't think I need to remind anyone how important Corbin Boes was to what little success they did have. He was the great equalizer many nights. Simply put, they just don't look as talented as the other teams this season. I see them falling back to their familiar position of 7th place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Wow - I wouldn't have picket those winners or scores on the first night. Both winning teams were outshot (Dal by 27, 24 to 41). Could be a crazy year.

All four starting goalies were rookies (Thibadeau swapped in half way through for UdeM)

JT3

May 27, 2013
Witnessed a bit of a punch up in the DAL vs SMU game last night. Frustrating as a SMU student witnessing a guy like Mike Evelyn go out there and goon it up in a 5-1 game dropping the gloves with guys who don't want to fight which is probably gonna result in a suspension or two.

As for the actual hockey, DAL really could not handle SMU at all, they were absolutely awful defensively with terrible coverage. Only bright spot on DAL at all was their goalie who had a relatively good game despite having zero help from his team.

On SMU's side, freshman Nick Welsh had an excellent game offensively. Ran the PP really well, had a goal on a slapper from the point and also a sweet pass to someone right in front of the net for an easy tap in

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI’s upcoming schedule is insane. Three consecutive NCAA exhibition games in three different states. Quinipiac(Connecticut) RPI (New York) then all the way back up to Maine for a game Monday. To top it all off they play Moncton two nights latter.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
So... who would have predicted that 4 games in the top scorers in the league would include 2 from UPEI and 2 from U de M. (I know UNB has only played 2 games though).

Safe to say, even though I didn't see the UNB game that we played the worst 1st period of any one in the league so far last night. It looked like we were the ones who had played 3 games in the states on the weekend.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So Dal and SMU play for the 3rd time already tomorrow night...I know the teams going south last week limited the possible match-ups but that is ridiculous.

The schedule has been pretty bad the last couple years IMO with all the repeat matchups on back to back weekends.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
It is a bit ridiculous... as of next Friday (the 26th) we'll have played 8 regular season games. Including 3 against StFX and none against SMU or ACA.

Matter of fact, by the time we play SMU or ACA we'll have played 12 games, 3 each against StFX, UNB and UPEI (all 3 of those on the road).

Then we get SMU & ACA twice in back-to-back weeks and then the same thing with DAL & StFX (hell, I just realised we're doing the same thing this week and next). The heck.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
... Then we get SMU & ACA twice in back-to-back weeks and then the same thing with DAL & StFX (hell, I just realised we're doing the same thing this week and next). The heck.

Back-2-back weekends has been the norm for UNB for the past few years with the NS schools. This week it's ACD/SMU on the road followed by ACD/SMU at home. In Mid-November we have DAL/SFX twice followed by ACD/SMU again twice.

You're mid-week games vs NS schools is the wrench - we have to play those games on the weekend.

I see you have a Sunday AFTERNOON game on November 11th vs Acadia on the road - that's brutal (even if Monday is a holiday).

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good road win by UPEI tonight over SMU in a gritty road game. SMU was unable to get much traction as UPEI did a good job on the physical side of the game. Hofley was solid in goal making 41 saves.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Good road win by UPEI tonight over SMU in a gritty road game. SMU was unable to get much traction as UPEI did a good job on the physical side of the game. Hofley was solid in goal making 41 saves.

Three one goal games last night. There seems to be more parity in the AUS this year than there has been in a while. The notable exception being Dal.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI with a weekend sweep against two “top four teams”. Can’t remember that ever happening before.

All three games tonight were decided by one goal if you exclude empty netters.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Watched SFX-DAL game last night. DAL was able to hang in for most of the game until SFX scored 3 in the last 4 minutes. As hard as they work, DAL just doesn't have it. They will lose more than they win. Over the past few seasons I was hopeful that they may improve and they have. But, others have also.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UPEI will host SMU and Acadia this weekend. It will be interesting to see if they can duplicate last weekends success, a sweep of the same two teams. Acadia with only 4 pts, should be a desperate team this weekend.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU 2-1 over UNB in ot.
The two best teams in the AUS went back at it for the second time in a week.
Fast paced game, featuring lots of skill. SMU impressed me, matching UNB's pace for most of the game.
They also played without Repaci, who is another a big part of their offence.
Acadia, second straight weekend without a point, can't see them getting into the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad