2018-2019 Around the league thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Should be interesting to see how the DoPS handles that. They don't usually go big with first time offenders, but that was really bad. Should be five games minimum IMO if you really want to show people they can't make those hits.

Tells Lemieux it's gonna be even worse in the future if he doesn't learn right away. That's the message they need to send these guys. Otherwise you end up with more Tom Wilson's that never learn.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They need to rework this point system imo.

They just need to do the 3-2-1 system already, for regulation wins, OT/SO wins, and ties.

The NHL needs to let go this obsession with comparing point totals to past generations. You can't compare the point totals anyway. It's already different with the loser points. You can't compare teams or players to past generations either. They're just too different.

Just let it go like they let go the redline. Everyone will be happier afterwards.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
They just need to do the 3-2-1 system already, for regulation wins, OT/SO wins, and ties.

The NHL needs to let go this obsession with comparing point totals to past generations. You can't compare the point totals anyway. It's already different with the loser points. You can't compare teams or players to past generations either.

Just let it go like they let go the redline. Everyone will be happier afterwards.

No way. I'd prefer 3 for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, and zero for any loss. Screw getting points for tying or losing.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No way. I'd prefer 3 for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, and zero for any loss. Screw getting points for tying or losing.

Yeah but IMO there should be a difference between getting blown out 7-0, and playing a hard fought 1-1 tie in regulation.

Over 82 games I think that separates the really bad teams from the good ones.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah but IMO there should be a difference between getting blown out 7-0, and playing a hard fought 1-1 tie in regulation.

Over 82 games I think that separates the really bad teams from the good ones.
Yeah, fair enough. I just think why make things complicated? I'd even be happy with 2 for regulation, 1 for OT/SO and nothing for any loss. Might be incentive for teams down the stretch to really go for it if they need to points instead of playing it safe wanting to get the 1 point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
BTW, just to clarify, by "ties" I really meant one point for OT/SO losses.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, fair enough. I just think why make things complicated? I'd even be happy with 2 for regulation, 1 for OT/SO and nothing for any loss. Might be incentive for teams down the stretch to really go for it if they need to points instead of playing it safe wanting to get the 1 point.

Then it creates another problem....losing the coin flip in 3 vs 3 OT or SO is worth the same as losing for real in regulation. 2 pts vs 0 pt for a coin flip is too much. It can't worth the same as a hard fought 5 vs 5 60 min game.

If you want fairness, either you go 3-2-1 (but it's bad for parity) or you bring back 5 vs 5 OT and tie games (best case scenario).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Then it creates another problem....losing the coin flip in 3 vs 3 OT or SO is worth the same as losing for real in regulation. 2 pts vs 0 pt for a coin flip is too much. It can't worth the same as a hard fought 5 vs 5 60 min game.

If you want fairness, either you go 3-2-1 (but it's bad for parity) or you bring back 5 vs 5 OT and tie games (best case scenario).

That's the thing with that though. If it affects parity, there was never really any parity to begin with. It was manufactured.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nylander stuff:

Two separate sources have confirmed to TFP the Hurricanes have spoken with Nylander’s agent, Lewis Gross, while one source believes the two sides have discussed a contract. An offer-sheet, though, is not believed to be in the cards.

Gross did not respond when contacted by TFP for comment.

It’s believed the Hurricanes and Leafs are discussing a larger trade involving multiple pieces on both sides. The Hurricanes have sent personnel to watch Toronto’s last few games, while Dubas made headlines for taking in a Hurricanes game in Raleigh last week.

Kings GM Rob Blake has been scouring the League in an attempt to tinker with his roster. In addition to his interest in Nylander, Blake is believed to be exploring multiple options and Pearson has been at the centre of trade talks.

Nylander, a restricted free agent, is believed to be looking for a seven-year contract worth no less than $7 million, per season.

I wonder if we could get some top 6 help from the Kings? Blake and Sakic are friends, they have to talk to each other right?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Nylander stuff:

I wonder if we could get some top 6 help from the Kings? Blake and Sakic are friends, they have to talk to each other right?

Jeff Carter has a bad contract, in terms of length, but he'd be a great fit. If you could somehow work around his $5.27 mil for the next 4 years, he'd be a good piece.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jeff Carter has a bad contract, in terms of length, but he'd be a great fit. If you could somehow work around his $5.27 mil for the next 4 years, he'd be a good piece.
He's turning 34 in a couple of months. That's scarier than the cap hit.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That draft class is just stupid. Poor, poor Arizona.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 1.30.28 AM.png

Look at that shit, ridiculously stacked.

Boston has done great with drafting recently but that draft... man they could be set up so much better if they didn't royally screw up their three picks.

Poor Dallas too, they really suck at the draft.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Poor Dallas too, they really suck at the draft.

At least it wasn't a top 5 pick in what looks to be the best first round in modern history. NJ did awful too, according to their board Zacha possesses all the red flags normally associated to an upcoming bust. Yeah Boston misfiring 3 times in a draft like that was also something.

Did we dodge a bullet with Crouse though? Can you imagine the damage for our future if we drafted him instead of Rants? Scary thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad