2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
With regards to the Kings and Doughty....man, Rob Blake can't even move him until the 2023-2024 season and even then it is a modified trade clause where Drew provides a list of seven teams he approves of.

That's a boat load to spend on a player while beginning a rebuild.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The hits just keep coming for us. First we find out Condon is no longer going to start games for the Sens and now Quick is out indefinitely.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Sakic might need to call up his good buddy Blake offer him a goalie for a 7th round pick. Can't have the Kings falling too far behind here.

member 116861

The hits just keep coming for us. First we find out Condon is no longer going to start games for the Sens and now Quick is out indefinitely.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Sakic might need to call up his good buddy Blake offer him a goalie for a 7th round pick. Can't have the Kings falling too far behind here.

Spencer Martin won't help the cause.

Reactions: Avs_19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Doughty is an elite defensemen and a guy that is likely to be very good throughout that whole contract. They are going to have a rough year this year, but they won't have to worry about finding a young #1D for ~6-7 more seasons. That gives a lot of flexibility in how to build a team. With some of their prospects they do have, they might only need a high pick or two to claw back.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
LA is always just a year away from winning the Cup. They have a winning culture in that dressing room, and that organization, plus arguably the best defenseman in the NHL, arguably the best all around center in the NHL, and one of the best goaltenders in the NHL when he's healthy and on his game.

They basically just see how the season shakes out with what they have, and if things are firing on all cylinders they add the finishing touches at the deadline.

As long as they get in the playoffs they can do damage with their gritty defensive game, and clutch scoring. If things aren't going their way, they just wait until the next year and try again.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
People place too much emphasis on two-way centres and not enough on coaching....

In other words, Kopitar is overrated and there's no way they're getting a sniff of the cup with an assistant as their head coach.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
People place too much emphasis on two-way centres and not enough on coaching....

In other words, Kopitar is overrated and there's no way they're getting a sniff of the cup with an assistant as their head coach.

Kopitar had 92 points last year.

IMO the difference in coaching has become the most overrated thing in hockey. They're all good now. Similar to goaltenders. Except Mike Yeo. He's always been the most overrated coach in the NHL.

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Kopitar isn't overrated. Even if you were to ignore his 2-way abilities, he had 35 goals and 92 points just last season. He's a damn good hockey player.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jimmy Carson?

Lets ask the man who knew him best.

200.gif

Reactions: agentblack

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Shorthouse is making me laugh tonight on the SN broadcast. Example: "Whenever I say (Chicago forward) Kahun, I think of Mr. Burns saying 'Rory Calhoun'."
I think he's one of the best local PBP guys out there, which is a little unfair as prior to him Vancouver had Hughson, who I also thought was great.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I love Shorthouse. Great voice, constantly involved with the play, and keeps you excited.

I'll disagree on Hughson, though. I've long thought he is one of the worst play-by-play guys around. Extremely monotoned and puts you to sleep. Much like Kevin Quinn.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Kopitar isn't overrated. Even if you were to ignore his 2-way abilities, he had 35 goals and 92 points just last season. He's a damn good hockey player.
Anyone who thinks Kopitar is over rated doesn't watch enough Kopitar. I can't think of a better all around hockey player in the game today.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jake has alot of natural talent, and s still only 22.
I think he pots 20 this year

He's got talent, size, and speed, that's for sure, it's just too bad he's a f***ing moron who nearly got his teammate killed last season. I don't see him ever really being more than a "good" grinder. But you're right, he's young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad