2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol, if you truly believe this. Atlanta Hawks, New Orleans, and Charlotte Hornets are as irrelevant as the Arizona Coyotes.

Best of the best is for international competition, an NBA final shouldn't be more talented than something like the Gold medal game (which it is in basketball). It's only different now because LeBron pulled a Tavares and went to a historic/popular club (besides hometown reasons).
There have been plenty of NBA Finals games that have been more talented than Gold Medal games, it's not just recently.

And it's cool you can name those teams, I can just as easily name to you the Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Buffalo Sabres, and New York Islanders as being utterly irrelevant in the NHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There have been plenty of NBA Finals games that have been more talented than Gold Medal games, it's not just recently.

And it's cool you can name those teams, I can just as easily name to you the Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Buffalo Sabres, and New York Islanders as being utterly irrelevant in the NHL.
I am looking at their standings and see only one amazing team in the Warriors and probably four to five good clubs like the Celtics, Nuggets, Lakers (just because one bloke), and Raptors. If a team wins the next title besides these clubs, I will send you 10 dollars.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I am looking at their standings and see only one amazing team in the Warriors and probably four to five good clubs like the Celtics, Nuggets, Lakers (just because one bloke), and Raptors. If a team wins the next title besides these clubs, I will send you 10 dollars.
Ok, but you aren't proving a thing because the NHL hasn't exactly been littered with different cup winners year after year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ok, but you aren't proving a thing because the NHL hasn't exactly been littered with different cup winners year after year.
You haven't proven anything to support your point.

LeBron has made the finals seven years in a row. Generational player? Yup, but that's also pathetic for the state of the league.

The past ten finals haven been...

Lakers vs Celtics
Lakers vs Magic
Lakers vs Celtics
Mavericks vs Heat
Thunder vs Heat
Spurs vs Heat
Spurs vs Heat
Warriors vs Cavaliers
Warriors vs Cavaliers
Warriors vs Cavaliers
Warriors vs Cavaliers

Seven teams in a thirty team league: that is a hilarious 23% of the league in the finals for at and little over a decade. If you like it, that's totally fine by me. Don't allow me to stomp on your hopes for something you enjoy, but a spade is a spade dude. The parity of the league is shit and not sure how you cannot see it; NBA has always been a super team league.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You haven't proven anything to support your point.

LeBron has made the finals seven years in a row. Generational player? Yup, but that's also pathetic for the state of the league.

The past ten finals haven been...

Lakers vs Celtics
Lakers vs Magic
Lakers vs Celtics
Mavericks vs Heat
Thunder vs Heat
Spurs vs Heat
Spurs vs Heat
Warriors vs Cavaliers
Warriors vs Cavaliers
Warriors vs Cavaliers
Warriors vs Cavaliers

Seven teams in a thirty team league: that is a hilarious 23% of the league in the finals for at and little over a decade. If you like it, that's totally fine by me. Don't allow me to stomp on your hopes for something you enjoy, but a spade is a spade dude. The parity of the league is **** and not sure how you cannot see it; NBA has always been a super team league.
Well, for one, that's 9 teams, not 7.

Second, the NHL has had 13 teams in that time frame. So 4 additional teams have made the Cup finals in the same time frame you're providing. Sorry, but that doesn't scream crazy parity to me. Especially when you consider since 2008 only 6 different teams in the NHL have actually won the Cup while in the NBA, it's been 7.

Lastly, I've already said I don't want parity. I'd MUCH prefer the big powerhouse teams and the underdog teams instead of a bunch of teams all almost identical.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Buffalo is on the right track this time. For real. Franchise dman, franchise center, good young pieces. Got rid of many vets with bad attitude.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Must be the marketing because basketball is the worst sport going .

Matter of opinion of course. It's probably my least favorite of the Big Four right now but at one point in my childhood it was 2, very close to 1.

To me American football must be the most amazing sport in the world, because it still stands tall despite the NFL's every effort to ruin it.

Reactions: Tommy G

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd much prefer a league filled with parity than a few super teams.

Love football though, funny that it's so beloved by North America and not elsewhere.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Speaking of bad teams....we've been saying it for decades but the Red Wings really do suck now. One win in ten games.

And their only win was against a shitty Panthers team with no goalie and they barely beat them in OT. They are so bad and hopeless, they have a legit chance to finish worse than our 48 pts season.

They are what people thought the Sens would be.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Top five teams in the Western Conference are from the Central Division. I guess there hasn't been too many inter-divisional games yet.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm sorry but the best players in the NBA have way more freedom to show their personality without persecution. Hell in the major American sports its almost required that you're a rebel in order for you to really be cool.

So much different in Hockey, and I'd rather my kid idolize the top hockey players any day than the over the top selfish f***s that run most of the major American sports.

With that said I wouldn't mind more freedom of personality from the NHL stars, but I just don't appreciate most of the top American athletes selfish personalities. Something in the middle would be nice.

Reactions: Balthazar

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
NBA has the best system....
giphy.gif

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Man the Panthers are bad. 2nd worst team in the east by far.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Man the Panthers are bad. 2nd worst team in the east by far.
Sidenote, we've really screwed them over the years. Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen, all taken a pick before they took Huberdeau-Barkov-Rantanen.

Huberdeau/Barkov are awesome players, but I'd still take all our guys over theirs.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Flyers are bad too. It's going to require a huge effort for the Sens to finish bottom 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad