2018-19 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking at the shrinking UFA list on Cap Friendly, there's a dire dearth of centers who could even be of help in Utica. Keep in mind, with the Canucks contract situation it's highly unlikely they're going to go out and sign another veteran center on a two-way contract, who'd play the whole season in Utica. So it would likely have to be an AHL signing, and that severely limits the pool.

Patrick Cannone is a 31-year old right-shot center who put up some decent AHL numbers and had 39 points last year in Iowa. Michael Latta, Chase Bailey, Daniel Catenacci and Bracken Kearns are centers with lots of AHL seasons on their resume. Bailey was a decent scorer in Springfield and St. John's. But just not sure if these are the kind of veteran centers that BG has in mind, or how much they'd actually help.

The best solution might be if one or both of Gaunce and Gaudette end up back in Utica, which could happen to start the season at least.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I appreciate your concerned thoughts and encouraging optimism. However, we have been listening to and reading posts from Vancouver for years now (this is the start of #4 since Henning was fired) filled with encouraging morale boosters and the conviction that this would be the season that Vancouver would provide the Comets with the center strength they needed.

In 15-16 it was going to be Gaunce and "Watch how Friesen takes advantage of his opportunity." Gaunce got 46 games on the first line with Shinkaruk and Grenier and spent the rest of the year with Vancouver, 38 pts/4th in team scoring. Shinkaruk was traded after 45 games and still finished first in goals and 2nd in team scoring. Friesen put up 31 pts in 65 games, 8th on the team, skating with Kenins and Jensen until Jensen was traded after only 27 GP and then a potpourri of RWs. Benning never acquired anything to replace Jensen or Shinkaruk. TJ Hemsick was acquired in an AHL TDL and put up 15 pts in 19 games. Easily the top point getter in that time span. The Comets were one and done in the playoffs 3 games to 1 with Albany

In 16-17 all of Utica's prayers were to be answered with the signing of Chaput and Megna. Megna was called up after 4 games having recorded 3 pts. Chaput after 10 games with 13 points recorded. Neither played another minute in Utica that season. Curtis Valk and Pascal Pelletier were then asked to become the top guys in the middle. Valk, in his first AHL season after 2 in the ECHL, did a yeoman's job and finished the season 2nd in scoring with 46 points to Archibald's 47. Pelletier's legs gave out after a decent start. By season's end he had become burned out and was scratched on several occasions.
Cassels at #3 increased his point total 4 pts better than his first season and posted 11 pts in 66GP.
4th liner Hamilton notched 19 in his 67 GP.
Needless to say this team with all of its "grit", "character" and "work ethic" had low scoring totals and understandably didn't make the playoffs.

In 17-18 the centers were to be Chaput once again along with Cassels and Hamilton as the 3 and 4. NO #2? No other centers were acquired!!!!!!!!!! Out of camp Cameron Darcy and Brendan Woods made the roster as PTOs and would both later sign AHL contracts.
Woods played a grand total of 14 games due to injuries. He had 4 points in his 14 GP.
Darcy was also hurt on and off over the season and managed 46 games and notched 24 pts in his 46 GP. His point total was skewed by being placed between Goldobin and Boucher while Chaput centered other lines as Cull tried everything to find some secondary scoring with any 2 wingers. The best success with that came near the end of the season when Cull was aligned with rookies MacMaster and Jasek. Skating between Bouch and Goldobin often resulted in points simply by getting the puck to Goldobin at any spot on the ice and he and Bouch would manage to get scoring chances. Darcy was proof of that as well as Bancks, also a grateful recipient early in the season when he was selected to center those 2. He finished the season with 17 p0ints and I believe I posted some time back that 12 of them came from those 2 guys in the first 25 games or so.
Cassels broke out and had his best season as a pro with 26 pts in 69 GP. We were hoping to get that kind of results in his first season and watch him build on that. Cassels wasn't even offered a contract this season.
Hamiton chipped in 22 points in 45 GP . It was his highest point total in his 4 seasons as a Comet. When healthy (he also missed a lot of time injured) he also skated up the lineup due to the frequent absences of Woods and Darcy and Chaput's call-up time.
The rest of the season:
Tony Cameranesi
Matt Leitner
Nolan Valleau
Brian Ward
Justin Taylor
Caleb Herbert
all saw duty at center for the Comets (not Motte, MacEwen, MacMaster, Dahlen, nor Lind).

If they bring in Cassels on an AHL contract (because no one else wants him) he would be an experienced AHL center acquired for the Comets.
Hamilton, in spite of the fan base hoping they had seen the last of him, was signed to another 2 year AHL deal. Yep, he is the other answer for the 2 experienced AHL centers the Comets need to acquire. Saves Benning from even having to look since apparently Johnson has some kind of visual impairment and can't do any looking himself. He must also have a hearing impairment and can't listen to any suggestions from Conacher, Cull, or any other hockey minds in the hockey related publications in Vancouver, who all have printed a piece or part of a piece in which they point out that Vancouver needs to get play making centers onto the farm to help out all the promising prospects.

It matters not if Vancouver supplies centers that are only going to get recalled. This is a development team and those guys should be going up. Gaudette, if he's ever even here, Granlund (I doubt it), Gaunce, or even Leipsic will be the first call-ups when centers are needed.

They are big assets when here, but the 2 experienced AHL guys I keep talking about are on almost every single AHL roster and they can step up and help hold down the fort when the call-ups go to the big club. They also fail to steal ice from the kids, but are placed in position to complement the kids. For a simple example Chris Mueller (32) was the Marlies top center and #2 point getter. #1 was Captain Ben Smith (30) on LW. The other top center was a 25 yr-old Finn brought in as a FA to do just what he did, center a scoring line with no expectations of playing for the Leafs. He was #3 in points. They skated 8 rookies, 6 of whom played every playoff game, 10 players who were 2nd or 3rd year pros, and 3 4th yr pros. Several guys went up and down between the Leafs and the Marlies, but were all back by game 5 against the Comets and they went on to win the Calder Cup.They had exactly 5 Veterans and 1 Veteran Exempt on their team. Exactly what the AHL allows for veterans to play in a developmental league. They didn't have to rotate them because they had too many. 2 were veteran D-men, 2 were centers, 1 a LW, and 1 a RW.

Vancouver screws this veteran issue all up. Last year at 1 point the roster had 11 vets rotating all over the place trying to get them all game time in between sitting one out here and there. Cull was trying to keep them all happy and more so in game shape for both the Comets and when the call came from Vancouver to bring them up. Utica was not a development team. It was a place for Benning to stock veteran call-ups.

This season the roster already has a vet on D in Jaime Sifers. Really a waste of that spot as he is not close to a STRONG veteran defender. You don't sign this kind of guy just because he is a vet with lots of experience. He has to be able to perform at a high level so he actually is an on ice role model for how the game gets played, particularly positional play, especially away from the puck. This wasn't Weircioch nor Sifers last year. The team was often a train wreck in their own end with players away from the puck seemingly always showing up uncovered in the slot, in the circles or lower for one timers, or tip ins on the back door. Sifers wasn't even strong enough to have his play dictate he couldn't be left out of the lineup. Right now he should be in a reserve role right off the bat.
Hamilton is a veteran center who also could easily be a reserve rather than a top 4 center. He makes #2.
Bancks will be hard pressed to actually have the skills required to match up with this year's kids, but his tenacity, forecheck, back check, defensive zone play, and penalty kill talent will make it hard for Cull to keep him out of the lineup in some capacity. He is also the team captain and makes #3.
Reid Boucher enters this season as a vet. He is the first vet you insert into this lineup without question. He's $4.

This brings the total to 4 and with a Vet center like Hensick that's #5. That's all that can play on any given night. A Veteran Exempt (VE) could fit into the lineup and play along with 5 vets. The Comets don't have a VE at the moment.

A good veteran D-man that the Comets desperately need moves Sifers to reserve. A second veteran skilled center moves Hamilton to a reserve. Oh, well. Both of these guys will get games as the injuries in both cities ramp up.

Still veteran problems? YEP, Jim's cuts!?

Hughes (Doubt he signs. I think he goes back to school, comes out in April, burns a year off of his ELC.) and Juolevi are the only 2 D-men that won't count as Veterans and neither has to be waived to be sent down.

Gaudette, Boeser, and Motte are the only forwards Vancouver could send down that don't qualify as a Veteran and aren't a waiver problem.

Gaunce, Virtanen, Goldobin, Hutton, Stecher, Leipsic, Pouliot, Kero, wouldn't be vets, but all have to be waived.

Boucher, Granlund, and Archibald are all vets and would have to be waived.

Thus, the Comets have 4 vets and really need the 5th one and that's before Vancouver cuts.

Juolevi, Hughes, Gaudette, Boeser and Motte are the only players that might get cut and don't need to worry about waivers and neither would be a vet. Motte will get cut.
I think Juolevi has a good chance.
Gaudette is a no on my list, but many say he will get sent down.
Boeser and Hughes don't get cut.

8 more could be cut but would need to pass waivers to get to Utica.
Kero gets cut and gets through waivers.
Gaunce has a chance of a demotion and is 50/50 on my list of getting through. I don't believe any of the other 6 listed in this group will be sent down with an exception in the back of my mind for Goldobin, but I think he would get claimed.

Only Granlumd in the last 3 will not have a chance of being sent down. Both Boucher and Archibald will get cut and I think they make it to Utica.

So once again I end this diatribe with a thank you for your encouraging thoughts, but you should see very clearly by this diatribe why we are hesitant to believe anything we hear until we see the players skating on the Utica Aud ice surface. Til then wishful fans, but realist skeptics.

As I said, it's understandable to be worried about center based off what's happened in the past. But based on the current roster, it's not an issue. Maybe it will be in the near future.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Looking at the shrinking UFA list on Cap Friendly, there's a dire dearth of centers who could even be of help in Utica. Keep in mind, with the Canucks contract situation it's highly unlikely they're going to go out and sign another veteran center on a two-way contract, who'd play the whole season in Utica. So it would likely have to be an AHL signing, and that severely limits the pool.

Patrick Cannone is a 31-year old right-shot center who put up some decent AHL numbers and had 39 points last year in Iowa. Michael Latta, Chase Bailey, Daniel Catenacci and Bracken Kearns are centers with lots of AHL seasons on their resume. Bailey was a decent scorer in Springfield and St. John's. But just not sure if these are the kind of veteran centers that BG has in mind, or how much they'd actually help.

The best solution might be if one or both of Gaunce and Gaudette end up back in Utica, which could happen to start the season at least.

Perhaps you haven't been reading my recent posts. I agreed that Benning won't give up any of the precious last few of his 50 contracts for as play making center that can stay on the farm all year. After all the guys he signed with them in the past have been so important to the Canucks organization. Guys like Stewart, Laplante, and Molino are knocking on the NHL doors, NOT!

However, since this is true, I gave a list of AHL vets who are free agents, but were on AHL contracts or might be3 willing to sign one this season if the $ was good. Smith only made $150,000 in Milwaukee last sesason. Benning paid out 3-4 times that for Chaput, Boucher, Megna, and Bachman. I get the feeling at the ripe old age of 33 he just might forgo an NHL deal, which won't get him to the NHL anyways, for a juicier AHL deal, of $250-300,000. The guys I have tabbed are not on NHL 1-ways or 2-ways. I narrowed my list down to 3 and as of the last time I checked, yesterday, they were still available. Hensick is my #1 choice, with Trevor Smith and Bracken Kearns following up. Cannone and Bailey were also on my original list but for the lesser of the 2 centers the Comets need to avoid having to hope Hamilton can find a magic offensive touch to help the kids on his line, especially after the centers Benning demotes are gone back to Vancouver the second the injury bug bites as all but Benning knows it will. That will never happen for Wacey.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think this is more of the "good old boys" system. Both Bancks and Hamilton have been loyal players and excellent locker room leaders and both were rewarded with 2 year extensions.

Why bother filling gaping holes in your lineup, apparently it is not important!!!!!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think this is more of the "good old boys" system. Both Bancks and Hamilton have been loyal players and excellent locker room leaders and both were rewarded with 2 year extensions.

Why bother filling gaping holes in your lineup, apparently it is not important!!!!!

This is fine. However, there is room for both of them on the team AND a Hensick. Bancks is a wing. We are talking center. This spot is still short one good player. Even if Gaudette and Gaunce are sent down we all know Gaudette won't be here long. He will be this season's Stecher (4GP) or the Chaput (10GP)/Megna(4GP) of 2016-17 or even last year's Woods (14).

Gaudette (Chaput?)/Kero (Megna?)/Darcy/Hensick/Hamilton
Do Gaunce and Motte become the out of position guys forced into the middle due to the numbers game? Neither one of them is the .90 PPG Hensick (on an AHL contract). If they are, where are Darcy and Hamilton in the mix anyways?

No, by Christmas Gaudette and Gaunce will be in Vancouver. Motte will be a wing. Utica's centers will be Kero/Darcy/Hamilton/and some scrub like Woods or Cameranesi. These guys have the foresight of a mole.

This is absolute PROOF that the Comets don't have a GM in Johnson. He is a 100% name only on the management team postings. He does nothing to advocate for the team he is supposedly in charge of.

I see Cassels and Woods getting invites to camp. Both will get AHL deals and Woods will get assigned to the Zoo with Arseneau, Laplante, Bradley, and Gardiner for safe keeping until the **** hits the fan by mid-season. Cole will be kept on as a reserve here in, as you say, a "good old boys" move. He did his service here and is worth at least an AHL thank-you and they think he would still be better than the PTOs or any of those stashed in the Zoo.

Meanwhile Hensick will signed by another AHL team and end up one of their 2 top centers and still be there when the call-ups take place to continue helping remaining top prospects put up numbers. We are likely to see him and Bracken Kearns and Trevor Smith putting up numbers against the Comets.

Last edited:

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
I’d like to see Benning sign a top centre for Utica as well. Gaunce could be that guy but I just have a feeling he wouldn’t clear waivers.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If Gaudette gets called up before Christmas it would indicate some serious injury problems on the Canucks or some really bad or good luck. Depending on what happens in training camp, we could potentially have Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Pettersson, Gagner, Granlund, Gaunce and Schaller who are all natural centres. Kero Tanner and Tyler Motte are probably not in the picture for the Canucks but will have to clear waivers if sent down (along with Gaunce/Schaller). I expect there will be a trade of some sort to move one of Granlund, Gagner and/or Gaunce, but still, we are flush with Centres, but no real quality.

Bad luck? Gaunce, Schaller, Motte, Tanner, Archibald, Goldobin, Reid and Leipsic all have to clear waivers to be sent down. Benning could trade one of Gagner, Granlund or Gaunce and then lose another C (or forward) to waivers. Personally, on October 2 I would much rather expose Loui Eriksson to waivers than Nick Goldobin or Brandon Leipsic, but this team has shown no inclination that they would give Eriksson the Prust/Higgins treatment (and Prust/Higgins were not sent down until after they had really debilitating injuries).

Good luck? Gaudette and Pettersson both have outstanding training camps and a C not named Horvat gets injured.

Realistically - I don't see Gaunce being claimed on waivers. Anyone claiming him would have to put him on their NHL roster. Is there really that much demand for a 4th line C/LW who has scored 5 goals in 114 NHL games?

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
If Gaudette gets called up before Christmas it would indicate some serious injury problems on the Canucks or some really bad or good luck. Depending on what happens in training camp, we could potentially have Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Pettersson, Gagner, Granlund, Gaunce and Schaller who are all natural centres. Kero Tanner and Tyler Motte are probably not in the picture for the Canucks but will have to clear waivers if sent down (along with Gaunce/Schaller). I expect there will be a trade of some sort to move one of Granlund, Gagner and/or Gaunce, but still, we are flush with Centres, but no real quality.

Bad luck? Gaunce, Schaller, Motte, Tanner, Archibald, Goldobin, Reid and Leipsic all have to clear waivers to be sent down. Benning could trade one of Gagner, Granlund or Gaunce and then lose another C (or forward) to waivers. Personally, on October 2 I would much rather expose Loui Eriksson to waivers than Nick Goldobin or Brandon Leipsic, but this team has shown no inclination that they would give Eriksson the Prust/Higgins treatment (and Prust/Higgins were not sent down until after they had really debilitating injuries).

Good luck? Gaudette and Pettersson both have outstanding training camps and a C not named Horvat gets injured.

Realistically - I don't see Gaunce being claimed on waivers. Anyone claiming him would have to put him on their NHL roster. Is there really that much demand for a 4th line C/LW who has scored 5 goals in 114 NHL games?
That’s the thing. Idk what it is there’s just something about Gaunce that tells me he’ll break out on another team if we waive him and he gets claimed.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

I don't see Gaunce much of a waiver risk either. From the list of players that may potentially be placed on waivers my biggest concerns would be Leipsic and Goldobin.

Reactions: lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't see Gaunce much of a waiver risk either. From the list of players that may potentially be placed on waivers my biggest concerns would be Leipsic and Goldobin.

they are all a risk depending on the roster needs of other clubs at the time of waivers, but yeah i would say goldobin is a big waiver risk at any time. he clearly can score on nhl goalies, so at his age a team is going to take a strategic shot on sorting out the rest of his game if they have roster room.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

If one of Schaller or Gaunce become a regular center along with Horvat, Sutter, and Beagle, the scoring by the Canucks will be the worst you have ever seen. After Horvat not a single guy on your list is an NHL play making center.

NOT A SINGLE ONE!

If Gaudette is sent down and the scoring deficit below the first line is where I think it will be, Gaudette will definitely be in Vancouver by Christmas and that's a lot later than I would guess.

They will move Schaller out on a wing and try Gagner maybe as high as second line when Sutter's numbers resemble the best he's ever don e which is crap. Sutter will become #3 and Beagle will be #4. If Pettersson is dying out there on RW on his own (I don't believe Green is dumb enough to do what Vaxjo didn't find appropriate for Elias in the SHL and stick him out there in the middle in the NHL at his age and size) with Sutter, Gagner, and maybe even Granlund (if he gets a try) failing to show an offensive flair, which they have never done in Vancouver, you bet your ass that Gaudette will get a call.

This is just outright stupidity on management's part. They have a rising super star and have done nada to get him a play maker with NHL experience. Instead he bulks up the bottom of the lineup. Not one of those guys in house now will ever fill such a role. Boeser was beaten upon all last season and injured multiple times. He is a whole lot more man than Elias at this point. Beagle, Schaller, and Roussel down the lineup will do nothing to keep teams from continuing to abuse those guys. The protector has to skate on their lines a la McSorley if that's what you think you need to do.

Who is hockey skilled enough while being deterrent enough to do that on a line with Elias and a better center if they did get one? Nobody. Maybe those are the two guys Benning should have been looking for instead of the 3 he got. Right now I would package up a whole lot of current Canucks (Sutter, Granlund, Gagner, Gaunce, Schaller, Leipsic, Goldobin, Pouliot, Hutton, and some others if that's what a team was asking for in order to get these 2 players. He's got all summer and Ghost Johnson has a lot less time to pick up that AHL level VET center. He is needed either way.

The action I advocate would gut the Comets, but it's what Vancouver needs to do if they plan to play Pettersson and are expecting results. This extremely talented,skinny, little kid is one good big time hit from one of the NHL's notorious head hunters, and there are still many out there, e.g. Tom Wilson, from a lot of ruined promise. Protecting this kid should be of the utmost importance to Vancouver management, not filling seats. They have taken a different path and don't see a lot of success in the one they are traveling.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Personally, I think the players that are the biggest risk of losing on waivers are Goldobin and Boucher as everyone is looking for scoring, plus both players have some size. I actually think a small forward like Leipsic would clear as the AHL is full of small forwards that can not cut it in the NHL. I do not see anyone wanting to pay Granland.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Personally, I think the players that are the biggest risk of losing on waivers are Goldobin and Boucher as everyone is looking for scoring, plus both players have some size. I actually think a small forward like Leipsic would clear as the AHL is full of small forwards that can not cut it in the NHL. I do not see anyone wanting to pay Granland.

It is interesting that nobody even mentions Boucher. They have all already written him off period. He is the #1 guy I hope gets through the waiver wire. He will not get re-called this year. He will challenge for the AHL scoring lead and I'd be very content that a guy who can do that plays for the Comets. We only had one other guy do that and he was traded mid season for an NHL team's reject.

See the handwriting on the wall with this one? Start looking for NHL bottom sludge playing for a team that is in need of big help at the AHL level. Shinkaruk was lost exactly that way and Benning loves to trade for other NHL team's sludge he thinks he can liquefy.

NJ lost him twice trying to get him to the JR. Devils. They got him back the first time when the new team tried to send him to their farm and finally lost him when Jim picked him up. Now Jim is going to try the same thing for the second year in a row. This time Reid has a big AHL season resume behind him. Somebody want to take a flyer on a young kid packing an accurate one time bomb? He burned a lot of Utica foes last season.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think Boucher has reached that point where teams see him as a AAAA player. That guy that puts up big AHL numbers but it doesn't translates to the NHL...the Chris Bourque type player. Leipsic is approaching that status as well but he has had less NHL opportunities so another team would likely claim him for that one more chance. Goldobin at 22 and with offensive skills would certainly be claimed.

Reactions: alternate

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just for ****s and giggles let's look at this AGAIN.

Vancouver will not demote:
Horvat
Boeser
Baertschi
Sutter
Eriksson
Pettersson
Leipsic
Beagle
Roussel
Schaller
Virtanen
Gagner

The 13th forward will come from Granlund or Goldobin. For the sake of this list I am going to guess that the guy Benning not only extended but also gave a raise will be kept and Goldobin who is still on a 2-way will be sent down.

Granlund

The demotions will be
Gaunce
Boucher
Archibald
Motte
Goldobin - I think he will be claimed off waivers, but until then I will keep him in the Comets plans.
Gaudette - He will start here, but he will be the first forward the Canucks bring up and the way the Canucks get injured the last few years, he won't be here long. Without injuries, if Pettersson doesn't put up points with any centers he gets, Gaudeette will be the next try.

So the Comets will be inundated with wings. I have set them up in pairs based on LW and RW and placed the LW/RW guys in places unfilled by the others with set wing slots. It by no means is how Cull may see them, but I think they do match up well.

Goldobin/Gaudette/Boucher
MacMaster/Kero/Jasek
Dahlen/Gaunce/MacEwen
Archibald/Darcy/Palmu
Gadjovich/Motte/Lind
Carcone/Hamilton/Bancks

extras:
Laplante/Bradley/Arseneau/Gardiner

Some of these guys obviously don't get to play and the extras get sent to Kalamazoo.

MacMaster, who along with Jasek were the best 2 forwards in Utica until Boucher and Goldobin were returned, is the only real good player on a Utica contract. Does that mean he doesn't play? That would be BS. The others in that 18 above are Bancks (C) and Hamilton (A). Both are vets and along with Boucher and Archibald comprises the only forward vets on the roster.

That center crew is weak and when Gaudette goes up it starts to look very weak. Motte belongs out on the wing. Darcy and Hamilton, while hard working, are very poor play makers. With all these guys already earmarked for Utica, a play making vet is still an important missing link.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Just for ****s and giggles let's look at this AGAIN.

Vancouver will not demote:
Horvat
Boeser
Baertschi
Sutter
Eriksson
Pettersson
Leipsic
Beagle
Roussel
Schaller
Virtanen
Gagner

The 13th forward will come from Granlund or Goldobin. For the sake of this list I am going to guess that the guy Benning not only extended but also gave a raise will be kept and Goldobin who is still on a 2-way will be sent down.

Granlund

The demotions will be
Gaunce
Boucher
Archibald
Motte
Goldobin - I think he will be claimed off waivers, but until then I will keep him in the Comets plans.
Gaudette - He will start here, but he will be the first forward the Canucks bring up and the way the Canucks get injured the last few years, he won't be here long. Without injuries, if Pettersson doesn't put up points with any centers he gets, Gaudeette will be the next try.

So the Comets will be inundated with wings. I have set them up in pairs based on LW and RW and placed the LW/RW guys in places unfilled by the others with set wing slots. It by no means is how Cull may see them, but I think they do match up well.

Goldobin/Gaudette/Boucher
MacMaster/Kero/Jasek
Dahlen/Gaunce/MacEwen
Archibald/Darcy/Palmu
Gadjovich/Motte/Lind
Carcone/Hamilton/Bancks

extras:
Laplante/Bradley/Arseneau/Gardiner

Some of these guys obviously can't play don't get to play and the extras get sent to Kalamazoo.

MacMaster, who along with Jasek were the best 2 forwards in Utica until Boucher and Goldobin were returned, is the only real good player on a Utica contract. Does that mean he doesn't play? That would be BS. The others in that 18 above are Bancks (C) and Hamilton (A). Both are vets and along with Boucher and Archibald comprises the only froward vets on the roster.

That center crew is very weak and when Gaudette goes up it starts to look very weak. Motte belongs out on the wing. Darcy and Hamilton, while hard working, are very poor play makers. With all these guys already earmarked for Utica, a play making vet is still an important missing link.
A one two punch of Gaudette and Kero seems great to me. I expect the
Comets to be a contender this year for sure. Most talent in a long time

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't see Goldobin being on the Comets this season. Either he makes the Canucks, gets claimed on waivers or is traded before the season starts.

That's why I said I'll carry him until we see differently. I said he wouldn't get through waivers which would mean to keep him either Leipsic or Granlund would have to get cut. He just acquired Leipsic and re-signed Granlund and gave him a raise. Goldobin would cost $70,000 in Utica. Granlund $1,450,000, and Leipsic $650,000. Not my money so I don't care, but Benning loves to save face and he is going to lose some here somewhere. Gaudette, Granlund, Leipsic, Goldobin are all his pickups. Thus, I delivered Gaunce, but he won't be enough as the Canucks have too many guys under contract. Even a trade is likely to just move a body for another. Draft picks seem to be poison to him. Other than Goldobin I'm not sure he could get much of anything for the rest.

He could always keep 14 forwards and only 7 D, but that means he has to get rid of 3 of them. Biega is nothing to Benning even if he is better than most of the bottom feeders he has collected. 2 more would cause him bigger problems. As it was, many felt Juolevi was coming down, but if he has to dump 3, Biega and Juolevi makes another and 2 other than Olli will have to get past waivers. Keep Olli and 3 have to get through.

He will be dumping players. We just have to see who, what he gets in return, and go from there. If he does nothing more, this will be a big cluster **** in October.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still think there's a good chance Jimbo makes some sort of trade before the onset of the regular season to address the log-jam on defense and the number of forwards on one-way contracts. But my God, that Canucks projected lineup looks dismal. Horvat, Pettersson and Boeser virtually the only reason to watch this team. And if Hughes goes back to school and Juolevi ends up in Utica as expected, then they've brought back the entire d-corps which was one of the league's worst last season. This, after vowing to improve it in the off-season.

I'll almost be more interested in what Utica does this season.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I was initially planning to have Gaudette up in the NHL, but I actually would like to see him as Utica's 1C for one season as Bad Goalie planned out. I think he could thrive. Then, if Hughes stays in the NHL, send him down near the end of the season for a boost.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A one two punch of Gaudette and Kero seems great to me. I expect the
Comets to be a contender this year for sure. Most talent in a long time

Agree on everything you say except the one-two punch won't be there long. Gaudette will be in Vancouver and i don't expect it to be a very long wait.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I disagree that Gaudette will be in Vancouver,he's the only player that has waiver protection.This is how they lost Corrado,keeping Stecher who should have played his first pro year in Utica.I hope they don't make that mistake again.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I was initially planning to have Gaudette up in the NHL, but I actually would like to see him as Utica's 1C for one season as Bad Goalie planned out. I think he could thrive. Then, if Hughes stays in the NHL, send him down near the end of the season for a boost.

The Hughes paper for the playoffs (assuming the Comets make it) would be a no brainer. However, remember back when Hutton could have been papered in 15-16 and the Canucks were out of the playoffs? The only guys papered down were Gaunce and Kenins. Kenins went home. Hutton should have been papered, but wasn't. They said he had already played a full season and needed to rest and many posters argued he shouldn't go down because he was an NHL player now. Most team send down their young, first year players to get the playoff experience. Not sure how Benning would handle Pettersson, Hughes, and even Gaudette if he spends the majority of the season in Vancouver. Toronto papered it's rookies, but the best one went to his country's World Cup team.

That's a bridge too far right now anyways. They haven't even played a game yet. LOL

Reactions: clunk

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I disagree that Gaudette will be in Vancouver,he's the only player that has waiver protection.This is how they lost Corrado,keeping Stecher who should have played his first pro year in Utica.I hope they don't make that mistake again.
Has management shown anyone that they learn from their mistakes?? It is only the third summer in a row we have been discussing a playmaking center for Utica......

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Has management shown anyone that they learn from their mistakes?? It is only the third summer in a row we have been discussing a playmaking center for Utica......

I believe this is the 4th season. The comets have not had a #1 play making center since Cal O'Reilly left after the 2015 playoffs. He led the team with 61 pts. and led the playoffs with 19 more.

15-16 Gaunce (with split time on LW) 38 pts and Friesen 31.
Hensick, who could have been a #1, had 15 in only 19 games when acquired late in the season. He asked to be considered for 16-17 as he would love to come back. He was not brought back.

16-17 Curtis Valk was the the top point getter at center with 46. Pelletier was second with 28, Hamilton 19, and Cassels 11.

17-18 Michael Chaput led the centers with 42. Cassels had 26, Darcy 24, and Hamilton 22.

Their top centers since O'Reilly left have all been #2s at best.

Gaudette as a rookie is supposed to be #1. That's of course if he gets here in the first place and then he has to stay for a majority of the season to be considered the #1. Kero's AHL numbers are the the exact same as Chaput (1 hundredth of a % point difference).Kero is by historical numbers a #2. Darcy and Hamilton are both #4s with a healthy Darcy between 2 very good players (it was Boucher and Goldobin last season) maybe a #3.

If Gaunce is demoted he would become the #3 and bump up to #2b while Kero remains 2a. Hensick would be a great addition. Playhim at 1, 2, or 3 and it wouldn't matter. The points would mount up as he slid up and down the lines. Cull would eventually see the guy puts up points when centering top lines as do the wings he works with..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad