2018-19 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Welp, Ottawa has signed center Adam Tambellini, .47 AHL PPG over the last 3 seasons with a bad Hartford team. He will be a non vet playing for AHL Belleville.

Just as an aside, New Jersey signed 64 Pt LW Eric Tangradi. He will be playing for Binghamton.

That's 2 guys who will be playing against the Comets as both teams are in their division. There are definitely still some non vet and veteran centers and D-men around. Keep dragging your feet management and they will all be playing for the Comets' rivals. The Comets need at least one at each of these 2 positions.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to concur with BG on this one...why a team as thin down the middle as the Canucks/Comets wouldn't take a roll of the dice on a kid like Tambellini is a mystery to me.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Started this post at noon, but got called away and didn't get it posted until now and only "go comets" has posted anything in that time frame. It appears we are in concert on this one.

Can't believe none of my Utica brethren have commented on this morning's article in the Utica OD centered on Johnson's off season work. Perhaps they are vomiting too much to be able to patch together any comments. Essentially he is praising his off season signings, both for the Comets and the depth I have been saying will be sent to the Zoo.

Let's take the Comets first. He says he was concentrating on surrounding the incoming young group with "good people, good players and a culture that we've been building the last couple seasons." He said "the returning veteran group that includes Hamilton and Bancks is vital." "It was the utmost importance that Bancks and Hamilton were back. Those guys when I talk about their value to us, you can't put a number on it with what they create from a culture, from what goes on in that dressing room to the expectation of showing up and ...using each day to get better." Those 2 have been on teams that have scraped and fought to just make the playoffs since the good players left town. Their playoff teams in the other 3 seasons were one and out and twice and they missed the playoffs the other season.

"It is important for me that those guys know that isn't their only value. I love those two because they're scratching and clawing to get their chance at the next level.. I've challenged them to come back better versions of themselves. I know they will."

He hasn't signed any veteran centers or D-men because "I didn't want to go out and get those journeymen, high-AHL deal players that knew that's just what they were. I wanted guys that are still hungry, that are still trying to improve, that are still trying to take that jump." Hamilton and Bancks????? Seriously?

Wow!!!!! This guy has been hypnotized and programmed to think exactly like Benning. So instead of a TJ Hensick who scores a point per game and would give two kids their best chance to produce at a high level while adjusting to the speed and strength of the pro game, you re-sign Hamilton to center them. H-m-m-m-m, sounds exactly why Benning signed Beagle and Co. Culture, locker room, and mentoring what it takes to be a pro.

I have no problem with this pap, but a guy who can do those things while playing the game at a high proficiency level is far more valuable than a guy who has proven through several pro seasons that he will never be that high level player. Bancks and Hamilton can practice 10 hours a day, 365 days a year, while starving to get to the NHL and it is flat out not going to happen. soon to be 28 and 29 yr-old veteran AHL, hard working, hard checking, penalty killing, 4th line "journeymen", who don't produce points do not become NHL players due to a work ethic. Their work ethic has got them where they are and that's where they will both remain and finish up. Nothing wrong with having them around for the value they provide, but to develop your kids the way you want them to succeed will require more than hard work. They need a high level of talent to play with.

One of those vets he doesn't want would make a world of difference to the highly talented wings who get stuck with Hamilton. Those kids are not grinders. Thus, you don't attach them to grinders. None of the wingers Wacey has had on his line have ever been much for putting up points. Run down the list of forwards that are likely to be here and Darcy and Hamilton will get 4 of them. Dahlen, Boucher, Jasek, MacMaster, Lind, Palmu, Gadjovich, Carcone, Motte, Archibald, Bancks. Where do these great mentors play in that mix with Kero, Gaudette, Goldobin, Gaunce/Granlund/Leipsic (one or even two of these guys will be sent down) also added to those kids?

If Cull plays his best 18 skaters, Bancks and Hamilton wait for injuries and call-ups to crack the lineup. Darcy should be with them. Kero, Gaudette, Granlund/Gaunce make 3 centers. Gaudette gets called up and you start to realize that by mid season you have 1 to 2 good centers with Darcy and Hamilton filling 2 regular spots.

The same becomes true of the D-men. Sifers isn't good enough to force any of the returning kids to the bench. He knows more, but is too slow to actually get the job done. He is the only veteran D-man the team has and he's 36. Without him the D-corps is Juolevi (maybe), McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois, Chatfield, and, Blujus.Take Juolevi up, injure one Comet, never send him down to begin with and the team is playing Sifers and have no backups. Anselmini and Dirk are not AHL players.

That brings me to Johnson's other self boasting. He boasts of having 13 players, more than ever, signed to AHL contracts. This is purposeful depth stocking so they have players on hand if the call-ups and injuries decimate the team like last occurred in 2015-16 and even more so last season. He wants to "make sure even more players are familiar with the team, if needed." "I've made sure the depth signings fit to what we are all about. I think it will make for a much better situation than last year."

If this depth construction is really so all important, which I agree would be a good idea (Toronto has done it for 2 seasons now), then why wouldn't he sign up the few guys who turned out to be the most successful doing it here last season? They already know the system and proved capable of doing a good job. The 7 new guys signed have a total of 0 NHL GP and 104 AHL GP. MacMaster has 11Pts in 18GP including 4Pts/5 Playoff GP for a .61 PPG. The rest have .PPGs ranging from .27 to .00. If/when the **** hits the fan again this season and these are the players brought up, my guess is Conacher will once again be beating the ECHL bushes looking for competent players because these guys will play like Moynihan, Stewart, and Cederholm and be sent back due to gross incompetence.

Much better players than these have come to Utica as PTOs from the ECHL and did not fare much better than water treaders. Some came with backgrounds including ECHL/CHL League MVP, League scoring leader, League top goal scorer, League All-Star, League Playoff MVP, team leading scorer, etc. None of the current newcomers comes close to those credentials. If Johnson thinks they will be the answer, his career as a talent scout for the AHL is done.

2 returning AHL contract players have 16 NHL games played and 14 were played by 13 yr pro Sifers. Sifers, Bancks, Hamilton, and Bachman are protoytpe AHL journeymen. Bachman has had the best numbers of the bunch between the pipes. The other 3 have been very poor at producing offense with Bancks having been the most successful due to a 39 point career high in 15-16. So, in spite of Johnson's claim that he wished to avoid AHL high level journeymen, he has instead wasted contracts on AHL low level journeymen. This analysis comes from a guy who has really liked the play of Bancks and liked Hamilton's game until he became a penalty machine the past 2 seasons.

This team has great potential and if the guys in charge make a couple simple moves it could be a great season. I feel it's going to fall short of expectations because of a poor thought process and failure to recognize the simple moves that would make management look like geniuses in the end.

Reactions: Ryp37

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Started this post at noon, but got called away and didn't get it posted until now and only "go comets" has posted anything in that time frame. It appears we are in concert on this one.

Can't believe none of my Utica brethren have commented on this morning's article in the Utica OD centered on Johnson's off season work. Perhaps they are vomiting too much to be able to patch together any comments. Essentially he is praising his off season signings, both for the Comets and the depth I have been saying will be sent to the Zoo.

Let's take the Comets first. He says he was concentrating on surrounding the incoming young group with "good people, good players and a culture that we've been building the last couple seasons." He said "the returning veteran group that includes Hamilton and Bancks is vital." "It was the utmost importance that Bancks and Hamilton were back. Those guys when I talk about their value to us, you can't put a number on it with what they create from a culture, from what goes on in that dressing room to the expectation of showing up and ...using each day to get better." Those 2 have been on teams that have scraped and fought to just make the playoffs since the good players left town. Their playoff teams in the other 3 seasons were one and out and twice and they missed the playoffs the other season.

"It is important for me that those guys know that isn't their only value. I love those two because they're scratching and clawing to get their chance at the next level.. I've challenged them to come back better versions of themselves. I know they will."

He hasn't signed any veteran centers or D-men because "I didn't want to go out and get those journeymen, high-AHL deal players that knew that's just what they were. I wanted guys that are still hungry, that are still trying to improve, that are still trying to take that jump." Hamilton and Bancks????? Seriously?

Wow!!!!! This guy has been hypnotized and programmed to think exactly like Benning. So instead of a TJ Hensick who scores a point per game and would give two kids their best chance to produce at a high level while adjusting to the speed and strength of the pro game, you re-sign Hamilton to center them. H-m-m-m-m, sounds exactly why Benning signed Beagle and Co. Culture, locker room, and mentoring what it takes to be a pro.

I have no problem with this pap, but a guy who can do those things while playing the game at a high proficiency level is far more valuable than a guy who has proven through several pro seasons that he will never be that high level player. Bancks and Hamilton can practice 10 hours a day, 365 days a year, while starving to get to the NHL and it is flat out not going to happen. soon to be 28 and 29 yr-old veteran AHL, hard working, hard checking, penalty killing, 4th line "journeymen", who don't produce points do not become NHL players due to a work ethic. Their work ethic has got them where they are and that's where they will both remain and finish up. Nothing wrong with having them around for the value they provide, but to develop your kids the way you want them to succeed will require more than hard work. They need a high level of talent to play with.

One of those vets he doesn't want would make a world of difference to the highly talented wings who get stuck with Hamilton. Those kids are not grinders. Thus, you don't attach them to grinders. None of the wingers Wacey has had on his line have ever been much for putting up points. Run down the list of forwards that are likely to be here and Darcy and Hamilton will get 4 of them. Dahlen, Boucher, Jasek, MacMaster, Lind, Palmu, Gadjovich, Carcone, Motte, Archibald, Bancks. Where do these great mentors play in that mix with Kero, Gaudette, Goldobin, Gaunce/Granlund/Leipsic (one or even two of these guys will be sent down) also added to those kids?

If Cull plays his best 18 skaters, Bancks and Hamilton wait for injuries and call-ups to crack the lineup. Darcy should be with them. Kero, Gaudette, Granlund/Gaunce make 3 centers. Gaudette gets called up and you start to realize that by mid season you have 1 to 2 good centers with Darcy and Hamilton filling 2 regular spots.

The same becomes true of the D-men. Sifers isn't good enough to force any of the returning kids to the bench. He knows more, but is too slow to actually get the job done. He is the only veteran D-man the team has and he's 36. Without him the D-corps is Juolevi (maybe), McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois, Chatfield, and, Blujus.Take Juolevi up, injure one Comet, never send him down to begin with and the team is playing Sifers and have no backups. Anselmini and Dirk are not AHL players.

That brings me to Johnson's other self boasting. He boasts of having 13 players, more than ever, signed to AHL contracts. This is purposeful depth stocking so they have players on hand if the call-ups and injuries decimate the team like last occurred in 2015-16 and even more so last season. He wants to "make sure even more players are familiar with the team, if needed." "I've made sure the depth signings fit to what we are all about. I think it will make for a much better situation than last year."

If this depth construction is really so all important, which I agree would be a good idea (Toronto has done it for 2 seasons now), then why wouldn't he sign up the few guys who turned out to be the most successful doing it here last season? They already know the system and proved capable of doing a good job. The 7 new guys signed have a total of 0 NHL GP and 104 AHL GP. MacMaster has 11Pts in 18GP including 4Pts/5 Playoff GP for a .61 PPG. The rest have .PPGs ranging from .27 to .00. If/when the **** hits the fan again this season and these are the players brought up, my guess is Conacher will once again be beating the ECHL bushes looking for competent players because these guys will play like Moynihan, Stewart, and Cederholm and be sent back due to gross incompetence.

Much better players than these have come to Utica as PTOs from the ECHL and did not fare much better than water treaders. Some came with backgrounds including ECHL/CHL League MVP, League scoring leader, League top goal scorer, League All-Star, League Playoff MVP, team leading scorer, etc. None of the current newcomers comes close to those credentials. If Johnson thinks they will be the answer, his career as a talent scout for the AHL is done.

2 returning AHL contract players have 16 NHL games played and 14 were played by 13 yr pro Sifers. Sifers, Bancks, Hamilton, and Bachman are protoytpe AHL journeymen. Bachman has had the best numbers of the bunch between the pipes. The other 3 have been very poor at producing offense with Bancks having been the most successful due to a 39 point career high in 15-16. So, in spite of Johnson's claim that he wished to avoid AHL high level journeymen, he has instead wasted contracts on AHL low level journeymen. This analysis comes from a guy who has really liked the play of Bancks and liked Hamilton's game until he became a penalty machine the past 2 seasons.

This team has great potential and if the guys in charge make a couple simple moves it could be a great season. I feel it's going to fall short of expectations because of a poor thought process and failure to recognize the simple moves that would make management look like geniuses in the end.

Nice post, but I prefer short and simple..

Johnson must be and Effing moron............ And that's on a good day..

Reactions: Canadian Club

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Article in today's paper will tell you everything you need to know. Johnson states he wants "Hungry" players, not vets......

Comets GM Ryan Johnson wants 'hungry' players

I just read the article after reading BG's comments. For the record, I agree with you guys. I think it's one thing to want veterans who are still hungry to move up, it's another to refer to Bancks and Hamilton when discussing such vets. I don't blame Johnson at all for placing importance on veteran leadership and guys who, just like him when he was playing, laid their bodies on the line every night.

As for Benning and Johnson, I'm not sure I agree that they think exactly the same way. Benning does believe in the importance of having a playmaking C in the lineup. He recently commented that Eriksson's poor performance is partly his fault because Benning didn't have a C to play him with.

It will be interesting how things shake out for Johnson. Johnson was hired by the Gillis regime and was promoted supposedly because Linden loves him. Now that Linden is gone? Who knows if Johnson will keep his job for long.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Comets blueline will be watched closely. Can Brisebois and Chatfield build on their solid rookie seasons and be even better next year?. Can McEneny, who was looking solid before he went down, return from injury? They lost Holm and Weircioch, so who do they use as a power play QB? Maybe Biega eventually makes his way back to the Comets, but would need waivers.

Comets will have a ton of exciting young forwards in their lineup, but you still have to wonder about the defense-corps.

Reactions: lindgren

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Please take no offense to this post.

If you have read my posts since the season ended and Holm and Wiercioch have moved on, your wonderment about the Comets D is preaching to the choir. If veteran/AHL experienced players of at least Wiercioch and Holm quality, neither of whom was a defensive stalwart, are not acquired the Comets D will struggle to hold up under offensive pressure just as they did all last season.

I would question the term "solid seasons" when describing Briesbois and Chatfield. I was hoping they would have attained enough experience to actually have solid seasons this year. They were far too often out of position, couldn't play the side away from the puck, Backed in instead of challenging the puck carrier, and had serious trouble vs a heavy fore check which often resulted in them coughing up the puck or making direct turnover passes, often resulting in direct shots on goal. This is where Holm and Wiercioch should have been leading by example, but again, way too often, they did the same things. Only stalwart net minding saved the entire D-squad from ballooned minus numbers.

The last press release from GM Johnson extolling the value of Hamilton and Bancks, I don't look for veteran or AHL level D-men being acquired. Right now the D numbers 7 with one coming off major knee reconstruction and 2 other totally unqualified players signed to AHL contracts. This group will not be of the quality that supports a winning team while the forward group will. I don't believe the forwards can offset the difference.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
@Bad Goalie how much opportunity was Brisebois given to play the left side last year? Every time I looked in he seemed to be plugged into the wrong side which seemed like a tough way to adjust to the pro game to me. I want to see Cull give him some games in his natural position before I try to gauge where he is really at in his game.

Reactions: timbermen

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@Bad Goalie how much opportunity was Brisebois given to play the left side last year? Every time I looked in he seemed to be plugged into the wrong side which seemed like a tough way to adjust to the pro game to me. I want to see Cull give him some games in his natural position before I try to gauge where he is really at in his game.

I'll have to count them up for you tomorrow so look for the edit to this post, but by my recollection he played most games on the right side, but also played some on the left.

This season's D as of now:
Sautner LD
McEneny LD
Chatfield LD
Brisebois LD
Juolevi LD
Dirk LD - Z00
Anselmini LD - Zoo

Sifers RD
Blujus RD

You see somebody has to play their offside.

Utica has lost both Holm and Wiercioch and it appears The GM has no intention of replacing them with even similar talent. The brain trust supposedly running this show (Ryan Johnson) has already stated he isn't going to acquire "journeymen high-AHL deal players" because they aren't hungry and still trying to claw their way into the NHL. They are content to be big fish in the AHL and he doesn't like that. The group he has will fold under the pressure sooner than later without them, not to mention how they handle injuries and call-ups. If Dirk and Anselmini are his answer, it will be even worse than I am thinking. As you can see, I have them playing in the ECHL because they are definitely not AHL level D-men, at least not yet, and they won't ever become such sitting in reserve in Utica and then thrown to the wolves when the Comets end up short in man power.

If Cull farms out Anselmini and Dirk, as I believe he has to, and Juolevi stays with Vancouver, and the Canucks make a deal to lose another one, say Hutton, the Comets will have a total of 6 defenders. Even this idiot will figure that out at some point. In their first season it was obvious the Comets needed a leader on D as they floundered miserably and Henning found an ex-Stanley Cup winning defender in Kent Huskins to mold the D around. Benning pulled this same stunt as Johnson is doing now 2 seasons ago and again we saw a D-corps in disarray. The Comets were lucky enough to find Colby Robak playing in AHL Stockton on a PTO contract and poached him. He was in his 7th professional season. I guess you'd call him a "journeyman high-AHL deal player". He proceeded to become Utica's #1 D-man. Could Johnson become so lucky if he keeps this current line of BS before he wakes up? Why wait until you recognize you are an idiot and just look at what you have, recognize the glaring need, and go get it while said players are still out there?

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Utica has lost both Holm and Wiercioch and it appears The GM has no intention of replacing them with even similar talent. The brain trust supposedly running this show (Ryan Johnson) has already stated he isn't going to acquire "journeymen high-AHL deal players" because they aren't hungry and still trying to claw their way into the NHL. They are content to be big fish in the AHL and he doesn't like that.

For what it's worth, I think there are more veteran Dmen who realistically can play a few games in the NHL than veteran forwards given the same age. Now that Hughes is returning to college, it would be interesting to see whether there would be another addition or they are comfortable with what they have now.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'll have to count them up for you tomorrow so look for the edit to this post, but by my recollection he played most games on the right side, but also played some on the left.

Sautner LD
McEneny LD
Chatfield LD
Brisebois LD
Juolevi LD
Dirk LD - Z00
Anselmini LD - Zoo

Sifers RD
Blujus RD

Utica has lost both Holm and Wiercioch and it appears The GM has no intention of replacing them with even similar talent. The brain trust supposedly running this show (Ryan Johnson) has already stated he isn't going to acquire "journeymen high-AHL deal players" because they aren't hungry and still trying to claw their way into the NHL. They are content to be big fish in the AHL and he doesn't like that. The group he has will fold under the pressure sooner than later without them, not to mention how they handle injuries and call-ups. If Dirk and Anselmini are his answer, it will be even worse than I am thinking. As you can see, I have them playing in the ECHL because they are definitely not AHL level D-men, at least not yet, and they won't ever become such sitting in reserve in Utica and then thrown to the wolves when the Comets end up short in man power.

If Cull farms out Anselmini and Dirk, as I believe he has to, and Juolevi stays with Vancouver, and the Canucks make a deal to lose another one, say Hutton, the Comets will have a total of 6 defenders. Even this idiot will figure that out at some point. In their first season it was obvious the Comets needed a leader on D as they floundered miserably and Henning found an ex-Stanley Cup winning defender in Kent Huskins to mold the D around. Benning pulled this same stunt as Johnson is doing now 2 seasons ago and again we saw a D-corps in disarray. The Comets were lucky enough to find Colby Robak playing in AHL Stockton on a PTO contract and poached him. He was in his 7th professional season. I guess you'd call him a "journeyman high-AHL deal player". He proceeded to become Utica's #1 D-man. Could Johnson become so lucky if he keeps this current line of BS before he wakes up? Why wait until you recognize you are an idiot and just look at what you have, recognize the glaring need, and go get it while said players are still out there?

Chatfield should be a RD.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
It's not even August so a bit early to start hand wringing over the D depth on the Comets roster. Even without Quinn Hughes (and I think it was the right decision to return him to Michigan) there are 9 defensemen competing for at most 8 spots on the Canucks roster. One of Juolevi or Biega will be sent down to Utica because none of the others will clear waivers. So right now, the Utica D looks like:

LH Defense
Sautner
Brisbois
McEneny
Brisbois
Juolovi - if he doesn't make the Canucks

RH Defense
Chatfield
Blujus
Biega - if Juolevi sticks with Canucks
Sifers ?? He's 35 and IMO not worth a veteran slot.​

Sautner, McEneny, Blujus and Biega (Sifers) all have multiple AHL seasons experience with Sautner and . Brisbois, Chatfield and Juolevi are 2nd year pros.

Biega - if he is assigned to Utica would be count on the veteran cap, I don't believe any of the others other than Sifers would. So the roster could probably use another veteran D - preferably one that would fit under the veteran cap. But there are also a whole bunch of players who will be invited to NHL and AHL camps on PTOs who will come available as rosters are cut down.

If the organization is expecting guys like Sautner, McEneny, Brisbois and Chatfield to develop, it helps if they are afforded bigger roles in the AHL and are not pushed down the Comets line up by AHL veterans who are (organizationally) going nowhere.

Yes - Ryan Johnson did say he prefers young "hungry" players on more of a development trajectory to AHL veterans and they have signed some guys like Bradley, Arsenaul, Dirk and Anselmini who are likely to be ECHL depth. There will also likely be some camp invites who may get a shot with Utica or Kalamazoo. But Johnson or the Canucks also signed AHL veterans Archibald, Hamilton, Banks, Darcy, Boucher and Blujus. They also traded Chaput who was over the AHL veteran limit for Kero who is under the limit.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, I think Ryan Sproul is still available as a UFA...some decent AHL seasons in the Wings system...a right shooting d-man with good size 6'4" and 210....Come-on Jimbo....do something to help the Comets on D!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Chatfield should be a RD.

He is right-handed, but he played every one of his 60 games last season on the left side. I don't make the lineups, but until he gets moved he is LD.

You would think Cull could easily have made the adjustment by just swapping Brisebois and Chatfield.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He is right-handed, but he played every one of his 60 games last season on the left side. I don't make the lineups, but until he gets moved he is LD.

You would think Cull could easily have made the adjustment by just swapping Brisebois and Chatfield.
Looks like the comets will get Biega. How do you rank him in the AHL?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Sautner LD
McEneny LD
Chatfield LD
Brisebois LD
Juolevi LD
Dirk LD - Z00
Anselmini LD - Zoo

Sifers RD
Blujus RD

Isn't Chatfield a RD? Oops sorry missed the reply.

Who did he play with mainly? And who did Brisebois mainly play with?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Back in the sixties Carol Vadnais and Ron Stackhouse formed a very unusual lefty righty wrong-sided pair for the California Seals.

Perhaps Chatfield and Brisebois took a page from the Vadnais-Stackhouse vintage playbook?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's not even August so a bit early to start hand wringing over the D depth on the Comets roster. Even without Quinn Hughes (and I think it was the right decision to return him to Michigan) there are 9 defensemen competing for at most 8 spots on the Canucks roster. One of Juolevi or Biega will be sent down to Utica because none of the others will clear waivers. So right now, the Utica D looks like:

LH Defense
Sautner
Brisbois
McEneny
Brisbois
Juolovi - if he doesn't make the Canucks

RH Defense
Chatfield
Blujus
Biega - if Juolevi sticks with Canucks
Sifers ?? He's 35 and IMO not worth a veteran slot.​

Sautner, McEneny, Blujus and Biega (Sifers) all have multiple AHL seasons experience with Sautner and . Brisbois, Chatfield and Juolevi are 2nd year pros.

Biega - if he is assigned to Utica would be count on the veteran cap, I don't believe any of the others other than Sifers would. So the roster could probably use another veteran D - preferably one that would fit under the veteran cap. But there are also a whole bunch of players who will be invited to NHL and AHL camps on PTOs who will come available as rosters are cut down.

If the organization is expecting guys like Sautner, McEneny, Brisbois and Chatfield to develop, it helps if they are afforded bigger roles in the AHL and are not pushed down the Comets line up by AHL veterans who are (organizationally) going nowhere.

Yes - Ryan Johnson did say he prefers young "hungry" players on more of a development trajectory to AHL veterans and they have signed some guys like Bradley, Arsenaul, Dirk and Anselmini who are likely to be ECHL depth. There will also likely be some camp invites who may get a shot with Utica or Kalamazoo. But Johnson or the Canucks also signed AHL veterans Archibald, Hamilton, Banks, Darcy, Boucher and Blujus. They also traded Chaput who was over the AHL veteran limit for Kero who is under the limit.

No, he did not say he prefers young hungry players on a trajectory level. He was talking about the type of vets he wants. Curious at how you were able to deduct that overall concept when his quote was directly related to why he was so happy to re-sign Hamilton and Bancks. Both are veterans, 28 and 29, who had their tickets to a career in the AHL punched years ago. Yet, Johnson said he loves these 2 guys because they are hungry and still clawing for their chance to get to the show. That's his rationale for signing 2 guys who could easily have been let go and been replaced by 2 AHL-level vets who can check and kill penalties like Bancks and Hamilton, but also be of great service to 2 sets of young wings who are going to need offensive minded centers to help them develop their games as soon as possible. Their will be more than 4 sets of them and they all have to have competent center icemen. This many talented wings is a first and it will be criminal to deprive them of that basic need. Jim bemoaned the absence of such a center when only Virtanen suffered said fate.

You and other optimistic Vancouverites seem to think the Comets will be given all the center help they need by the Canucks. We see the same logjam in Vancouver that all of you do. What you guys aren't seeing is what we see every season in Utica. A couple guys inevitably get injured and 2 Comets rightfully go up. Then a couple of their own go down and then, voila, the cupboard can't replace what is gone because the vets they signed to fill out the roster suck.

Jim, never having been responsible for building both an NHL team and it's AHL affiliate responsible for developing his prospects on a team that best enables them to succeed still dosen't get how this is done. Jim has used the Comets as a place to stock his call-ups because essentially he hasn't had any promising prospects developing there. Last season he overstocked the Comets with so many vets that the revolving door roster couldn't form any kind of chemistry because the vets had to get their playing time in order to be ready when the calls came. When that time came they all went up and the Comets were suffering their own injury woes. Go Figure! Thus, the Comets ended up using 58 different players. Many of these were only around for just enough time to prove they couldn't play.

If you have a roster with a handful of veteran players who are talented for the AHL, but not in danger of being called up, they can help a team keep playing at a very competitive level. The Comets had Hamilton, Cassels, PTO became AHL contract Darcy, and the latest ECHL on a PTO as they scoured the lower minor league for a couple guys who could actually play in the AHL. A guy like TJ Hensick instead of Hamilton would have been a very high level center to feed the best forwards Utica had left after Chaput went up. When Chaput came back, TJ slides down to #2, Darcy can function much better as #3, and Hamilton/Cassels can hold down the 4th line where they belong.

In short, Bancks and Hamilton may have the kind of attitude and work ethic that Johnson envisions as his ideal AHL vets, but there area whole bunch of AHL vets that fit that mold, but have a whole lot more talent. Young kids do need a more experienced player on their line or as a defensive partner. The Comets D will be lucky to have one of those types. As you have already agreed, Sifers isn't one of those types. Guess what? Neither is Hamilton. Sautner and McEney are not at the level that they can carry a pairing. The kids who might be able to play together in a pairing would be Sautner and McEneny if Mac is back at the top of his game as he was when paired with Subban. Sautner and Brisebois were lost together. Brisebois and Chatfield still need to be paired with a good vet. You know the same way you guys recognize Pouliot, Stecher, and Hutton can't make it paired with any of each other. They need Edler, Tanev pairings and whoever gets Gudbranson struggles. It's the same down here on a different level.

I'm going to see how things work out, but right now the list of Comet defenders you have produced has Brisebois listed twice. So it's really:

LD - Brisebois, Sautner, and McEneny
RD - Chatfield, Blujus, Sifers

I don't know where you guys are getting the inside info that Cull plans to switch Brisebois and Chatfield to opposite sides of the ice. Chatfield never played on the right side here and Brisebois was almost always on the right side. That's opposite of their shooting side, but that's where they played. If they switch so be it. No problem, but that doesn't change the actual numbers.

If the Canucks keep all 8 of their defenders and then add Juolevi, only one will be sent down giving the Comets 7 total and whether it's Juolevi (more likely due to his off season, or Biega they will be the first called up and now it's 6. If the Canucks dump one of their bottom 2 defenders of which they have at least 4. Biega and Juolevi can both stay in Vancouver. Comets only have 6.

Anyone else Johnson has already signed will very quickly prove they need to be in the ECHL and if they get called up later will still prove they don't fit just like Cederholm and Moynihan last year when the door was wide open during the Comets' extreme player numbers deficit.

The Comets absolutely need to have at least 8 solid AHL players on D and Green often started out with 10 for at least the first month and that usually meant he had 8 by the time that month was complete with injuries and call-ups already having cut the numbers to 8 for him. Waiting until you come up short leaves you the dregs to pick from. That's why most good AHL teams have already signed their 2 veteran D-men. RJ needs to get on it. This is the time the good ones can still be acquired. We are not in a panic here. We simply are aware of how it's done right.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Brisebois played the right side paired with Sautner, Wiercioch, Holm.
When paired with Sifers, he played the left side.

Now see post #249

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!

OPEN APOLOGY TO ALL POSTERS?READERS

Tomorrow I am making an appointment to see a Dr. specializing in Alzheimer's Disease.

Jalen Chatfield played RD with Wiercioch most of last season. How I got this idea in my head that I watched him playing left D I have no idea. I can still see him in my mind playing on the left side of the ice from my seat looking at him across the ice. Any D-man in my end of the rink playing on the opposite side of the ice when the Comets are defending that end is the LD. I can see him clear as day over there., yet I know he was listed as the RD and I have him in all of my game charts on the the right side.

I am correct about Brisebois playing on the right side most games, but again Chatty was also RD on most nights.

I feel like a complete idiot or that I'm losing my mind!

Nope, just an idiot having a senior moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad