2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Teves and Rafferty will be the mix at Utica next season....but realistically, at this point in their careers they're a long way behind guys like Brisebois and Sautner, who about the same age and have three years of AHL experience.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Leighton leaves the game with injury and Mezanec yields the first Marlies goal on the pp. These games are challenging to watch now, not surprisingly even the die hard Comets fans are beginning to vacate the seemingly always packed Utica arena.

Really sad stuff. Benning and Johnson should be ashamed to show their faces around there.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Woods ties it up and MacEwen takes on Tom Sestito on the center ice face off. Well this certainly livened things up a bit.

The AHL boxscore says that MacEwen and Sestito got game misconducts. Was that for just squaring off after the faceoff? Before the puck drop or something?

Any thoughts on Thow?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
The AHL boxscore says that MacEwen and Sestito got game misconducts. Was that for just squaring off after the faceoff? Before the puck drop or something?

Any thoughts on Thow?
No thoughts on Thow, I only realized he was in the lineup five minutes ago. I'm mostly just listening to the audio and rewinding it for notable events like goals, fights, injuries etc. It's a much interest as I can muster right now. And yeah, MacEwen and Sestito got at least 5+10 for squaring off at the faceoff I guess. Sestito whupped him but gutsy move on MacEwen's part I suppose.

Reactions: lindgren

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It's over. brouhaha after the final whistle involving Woods and Gaunce. Comets mad.

@lindgren Thow does seem to have a nice offensive touch on the pp. I believe he assisted on the Comets goal. Is this the kid they signed to an AHL contract out of college?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Was gonna hit the vape and watch some episodes of Cannon and Mannix I recorded on MEtv but decided to watch the Comets game for a change instead. Have a Mannix episode from 1967 with the band Buffalo Springfield in it that I'm looking forward to in particular. But anyway, the game wasn't awful; but you kinda had a sense the outcome was never really in doubt.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lo
Was gonna hit the vape and watch some episodes of Cannon and Mannix I recorded on MEtv but decided to watch the Comets game for a change instead. Have a Mannix episode from 1967 with the band Buffalo Springfield in it that I'm looking forward to in particular. But anyway, the game wasn't awful; but you kinda had a sense the outcome was never really in doubt.
love me some Robert Conrad. I think he would have been a great goalie. Four feet tall, and six feet wide!

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Lo

love me some Robert Conrad. I think he would have been a great goalie. Four feet tall, and six feet wide!
Yeah William Conrad was great, A fat guy that could run down a purse snatcher for three blacks and still have the wind to beat the shit out of him. All time great tv detective in an era when there were many.

Robert Conrad was the guy that dared you to knock the Eveready battery off his shoulder. He was pretty good too.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah William Conrad was great, A fat guy that could run down a purse snatcher for three blacks and still have the wind to beat the **** out of him. All time great tv detective in an era when there were many.

Robert Conrad was the guy that dared you to knock the Eveready battery off his shoulder. He was pretty good too.

Yes, that’s right. Thanks for the fix. Robert Conrad was great in Ba Ba Black Sheep.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I'm going to have to look for that. In a few days. When the Comets and Canucks are golfing.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
@lindgren the Mannix episode in question is "Warning:Live Blueberries season 1/episode 7 (1967). 'Buffalo Springfield performs. Mannix takes off for a hippie retreat to search for a missing girl.' I just recorded this one last night/morning at 2 or 3 am. It runs back to back with Cannon over night. I'm not nearly the Mannix fan than I am Cannon but this one sounds good ;)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Leighton leaves the game with injury and Mezanec yields the first Marlies goal on the pp. These games are challenging to watch now, not surprisingly even the die hard Comets fans are beginning to vacate the seemingly always packed Utica arena.

Really sad stuff. Benning and Johnson should be ashamed to show their faces around there.

Benning has not set foot in Utica in 2 YEARS!!! Way to manage your assets JIMBO.

Johnson is as useless as teats on a Boar hog. He is just as worthless in town as he is when he's away (more than he's actually in town).

Hearing more crap from Vancouver radio whining about how was Lind supposed to succeed playing with Woods and Bancks. Lind played games with: Archi/Gaudette C, Woods C/MacEwen, Bancks C/Palmu, Dahlen/Bancks C, Woods C/MacMaster, Woods/Gaunce C, MacMaster/Cameranesi, Bancks/Darcy C, Arseneau/Darcy C, Gadjovich/Darcy C, Bancks/Gaudette C, Arseneau/Hamilton C,
Gadjovich/Gaunce C, Gaunce/Gaudette C, Gaince/Darcy C, Arseneau/Szmatula C, Gaunce/Woods C, Arseneau/Gardiner C, Pyatt/Woods C.

He's played 48 games and has been injured for most of the rest. His offensive output hasn't been any different no matter his linemates.

He has played with every center on the Comets and every LW. Kero is the only exception at center. Kero has centered Boucher at RW on a regular basis and the LW has been Dahlen, Gaunce, MacMaster, Archibald, Carcone, and Pyatt all LWs and for a while Boucher on LW with MacEwen on RW.

Maybe some people not in the actual know should take a stab at the facts. Gadjovich, Lind, and Palmu were not what they were supposed to be.

Jasek has barely kept his head above those 3.

Dahlen was putting up points with some good passes and scoring goals on the PP when he wasn't challenged taking the puck to the net or able to sneak unmolested to the backdoor for a pass and an open side.

Look at the centers in every one of those lines Lind played on. He got Gaudette a few times when he was here and Gaunce a few times. Gaudette went back to Vancouver and Gaunce is constantly deployed on LW, but Lind had him as his opposite wing a lot. If you don't give wings quality centers to work with, the results will not be pretty.

Go ahead and blame whoever you want in order to not have to accept the facts. This was a terribly constructed team to begin with and you got what had to happen when the rubber hit the road at crunch time. The #2 team in the AHL North at the NHL TDL has lost nearly every game they have played since. Other teams were made stronger by their parents and the Comets were weakened.

Being relegated to the goalie graveyard hasn't helped either.

The lack of players with AHL talent on the back end hasn't been an asset either.

18 players have played D for the Comets as of tonight. Tonight's lineup had all 6 D-men without a Vancouver contract and 6 forwards with the same credentials. That was an ECHL team with a couple AHL demotions.

406 man games have now been lost to injury or illness counting the 9 out tonight. That hasn't helped either. The Canucks management started the season out blind to the Comets needs in the middle and on the back end and continually lost all sense of reality as the season moved on.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
@lindgren the Mannix episode in question is "Warning:Live Blueberries season 1/episode 7 (1967). 'Buffalo Springfield performs. Mannix takes off for a hippie retreat to search for a missing girl.' I just recorded this one last night/morning at 2 or 3 am. It runs back to back with Cannon over night. I'm not nearly the Mannix fan than I am Cannon but this one sounds good ;)

Much appreciated! I'm a Mannix fan, and even more of a Buffalo Springfield fan. This sounds amazing!

How 'bout those Comets! (Seriously, bring back Lorne Henning. Sheesh.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad