2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It dosent make me puke.... But it's pretty mind numbing that someone in his position could be so incredibly stupid..........
Listen to Johnson speak...through his playing days and managerial days. He is no dummy. Unfortunately for Comets fans, management and fan interests don’t always align. Plus he is probably getting his marching orders from Benning. So there is that

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Kris Knoblauch is now available. I hope the Canucks go after him again but it sounds like Cull and his staff is guaranteed to come back.

Reactions: MS

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Gaunce not qualified and Kero a UFA likely to walk.
Kero 24G/57Pts
Gaunce 16/38, but most of his points were at LW

Comets only center signed is Hamilton.

Johnson sang the praises of Woods and Darcy in his post season followup as he did Bancks and Hamilton after the 2017-18 season and then gave them both new 2-yr contracts.
Look for woods and Darcy to get the same or similar (1-yr contracts).

2019-20 Utica prospective Comets centers:
#2 Cam Darcy
#3 Brendan Woods
#4 Wacey Hamilton
2018-19 combined G/Pts total - 18G/51 Pts

This is currently a sad state of affairs based on the way the Comets roster has been constructed the last 4 seasons. It was known certain players would likely be Comets and the rest needed to be acquired and they never were.

Now those likely Comets don't exist and those to be acquired won't be considered until after free agency is dealt with by Vancouver and by then those to be acquired will be the dregs of those still available. This is a given since the Canucks have no centers in their possession in the pipeline. Even if they re-sign Kero and insert him as #1 on the list with the other 3 the Comets forwards are doomed as far as any help from their centers. In my previous post I outlined who will definitely be back and there aren't many players on that list anyways.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kero 24G/57Pts

Johnson sang the praises of Woods and Darcy in his post season followup as he did Bancks and Hamilton after the 2017-18 season and then gave them both new 2-yr contracts.

#2 Cam Darcy
#3 Brendan Woods
#4 Wacey Hamilton

This is currently a sad state of affairs based on the way the Comets roster has been constructed the last 4 seasons. It was known certain players would likely be Comets and the rest needed to be acquired and they never were.

Now those likely Comets don't exist and those to be acquired won't be considered until after free agency is dealt with by Vancouver and by then those to be acquired will be the dregs of those still available. This is a given since the Canucks have no centers in their possession in the pipeline. Even if they re-sign Kero and insert him as #1 on the list with the other 3 the Comets forwards are doomed as far as any help from their centers. In my previous post I outlined who will definitely be back and there aren't many players on that list anyways.

Anyone singing the praises of Hamilton, Darcy, and Woods is an idiot. Full stop.

And I’ve given Johnson a wide berth in the past.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Benning now has 2 empty contract spots by not qualifying Pouliot and Gaunce.

Leighton is certain not to be re-upped. That makes 3.

Mazanec has already signed a 2-yr contract with Mountfield HK of the ELH, Czech League. That's 4.

If Tom Pyatt doesn't leave I'd be shocked, because I don't see Benning giving him the $1,100,000. That's enough money for 2 or 3 "really, really good AHL/NHL level players that qualify as vets. Reid Boucher, an AHL All-Star, set the Comets record for goals scored in a single season, and the the team's point leader was paid $300,000 for his efforts. He would make 5.

Tanner Kero was second in team scoring and made $800,000. Have to think Benning isn't going to meet his UFA status with a 1-way contract, let alone match that number. That's 6.

Evan McEneny is a free agent. He is currently recovering from his 4th major knee surgery in 5 seasons. He missed all but 2 games in his 2011-12 JR season after suffering his first knee injury/surgery. Since that season he has had 3 more serious knee injuries, all requiring major surgery including the past 2 seasons. Thus, he has played a total of 134 games in the AHL and 36 in the ECHL. That's 170 of 350+ games played by his teams in the past 5 years. His skating was a major issue last season after the third surgery and now after the 4th, signing him for another season is too risky IMO. Maybe he gets an AHL contract and can be of some help, but a player of his history is way too risky to spend an NHL contract spot on. He's 7.

Luke Schenn is a big question mark. I know many Canucks posters have clamored for his signing and placement on the Vancouver roster. With the spaces already listed here and the dollars they provide + the new cap space + more players he may be dealing, there will be lots more changes coming. How that affects the Comets will remain to be seen. Benning could become like a kid in a candy store if he is left to his own devices.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The main goal in signing a solid AHL vet or two is to help provide depth for the parent club. It has the side benefit of helping the AHL affiliate as well. Obviously not talking about a ton of them but a few crumbs thrown their way would hardly hurt. Enough of the stale bread alternative s.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The main goal in signing a solid AHL vet or two is to help provide depth for the parent club. It has the side benefit of helping the AHL affiliate as well. Obviously not talking about a ton of them but a few crumbs thrown their way would hardly hurt. Enough of the stale bread alternative s.

No, that's only half of it. The backups for the Canciuks are the first half, bu players like Cal O'Reilly and TJ Hensick are signed specifically for the AHL team. They are there to assure the prospects of talenetd people to help grow their game. Thus, we don't hear how the farm doesn't develop the prospects. if the farm doen't have talented players for those prospects to play with, those prospects will give you seasons like Lind, Gadjovich, and Jasek just did while playing with hamilton, Woods, and Darcy.

Your D needs to have at least one solid vet to help show them the way as well. Schenn was excellent, but 7 games won't cut it. Huskins spent 2 full seasons here with no thought of a call-up and his efforts on the ice both in games and practice was highly beneficial to the team D.

Biega played a similar role and was almost always paired with a prospect. Wiercioch and Holm were vets who contributed to the scoresheet, but were not good role models for the rookie D-men, Brisebois and Chatfield, as neither were good defensive players to begin with.

Bobby Sanguinetti and Taylor Fedun were also good for the young players.

Out of all of those D-men only Biega got any game time with the Canucks.

Look at the rosters of all the good AHL teams and you will see successful prospects playing with Vets that were acquired specifically for that purpose and they thus they are not used as NHL call-ups. Other players are signed for that purpose and most come out of their respective NHL teams' pipelines.

This is the major problem for Vancouver, their pipeline is very sparse. Yes, it's understood that NCAA players can't play on the farm and get called up, but if you are going to stock the NCAA with your prospects, you have to also sign a bunch of usable players and stash them in the on the farm as well. Jim doesn't have the foggiest idea of how to do both and thus the minute his 2 or 3 guys stashed on the farm as call-ups are recalled the farm is left with a void for talent and the prospects have little chance of improving. This won't be the case for the blue chippers who would find a way to succeed because they are that good to begin with, but they don't last long, if ever, in the AHL unless the parent club is loaded and has no room and cooks their prospects in the AHL for a year or 2 or is run by a President and GM with ownership that agrees that their prospects should spend some time learning the pro game on the farm before being introduced the NHL. Even those teams will play a real high draft choice who clearly shows in preseason that he has nothing to gain from the AHL and can make an impact immediately.

Ron Hextall said, "If a young player isn't going to make your team better, he's better off playing bigger minutes somewhere else."
i.e. Back in Jrs. for those not even old enough for the AHL, in school for those who chose to take the the NCAA route, or in the AHL for most other prospects. 88% of all current NHL players graduated from the AHL. That's from the AHL itself.

Here's another opinion from those in the know.
"Guys like San Diego Gulls Captain Joe Piskula, center Chris Mueller, and winger Harry Zolnierczyk have played at the NHL level, put in their share of time in the AHL, and are beginning to adopt a new role with the team."
"It's really to be a 2nd tier coach behind Dallas, said Mueller. Someone for the guys to look up to. See what it takes to get there and hopefully stay there and have long careers."

Here's another angle.
Marc Methot, 32, one of 3 vets to pair with 3 young guys in Dallas. "It's a good mix. Some veterans and some younger guys as well. It's what you want. When you've got guys that can maybe show a little bit to the younger guys with that veteran leadership, and at the same time you've got young guys that keep us moving and keep us young at heart."

That's how they see it in the NHL. Why in the world wouldn't it be even more important to be seen that way in the AHL? If you inspect most of the AHL rosters, this philosophy is the main one followed by most NHL teams in constructing their farms. Benning and Johnson should take a lesson from the Comets first GM, Lorne Henning who built just such a roster in the club's first 2 seasons. The same philosophy has not been employed since Benning fired him.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Becoming more and more obvious that this is a season of big changes for both the Canucks and the Comets....Gaunce and Pouliot are only the beginning, as the Canucks have a bunch of RFA's and UFA's.....definitely won't sign them all.

So with the exception of some second year guys like Lind, Gadjovich and Palmu, along with returning d-men like Chatfield, Sautner and maybe Brisebois, that's about it. Goalies will be DiPeitro and Bachman, if he isn't bought out.

So it's basically an 'empty canvas' in Utica, and based on the track record of the guys doing the roster assembly, it's a little hard to be optimistic.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Listen to Johnson speak...through his playing days and managerial days. He is no dummy. Unfortunately for Comets fans, management and fan interests don’t always align. Plus he is probably getting his marching orders from Benning. So there is that

Just because someone speaks well doesn't mean he has any common sense.. kinda like some of the kids everyone went to high school... Straight A students all the way through college and not enough common sense to fill a thimble... Still see that today only worse with kids......

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Kero 24G/57Pts

#2 Cam Darcy
#3 Brendan Woods
#4 Wacey Hamilton

I would probably ditch Hamilton. Woods cracked the 260-game plateau so he essentially loses his "developmental" tag. No need to have all three of Hamilton, Bancks and Woods as bottom-six vets and the fact that Woods is still in the sub-320 group is a small factor in his favour. Bancks was team captain but as an on-ice player he is easily replaceable.

I would try to keep Kero but not with a 1-way deal, and of course he is UFA regardless and thus can sign wherever he chooses. If Kero moves on, then I'd make an offer to Gaunce but same thing re: no 1-way deal so he would be free to decline and move on, too. They both went over 260 games last season so one of them pretty much has to go anyway.

Given that Roussel might not be back into the Canucks' lineup until perhaps November, and Baertschi's ongoing concussion saga, and the lack of forward prospects, it's a good year for the Canucks to be so heavy with NHL-contracted forwards, some of whom will be sent to Utica when the injury situation allows.

On defence, Blujus and Graham could stay for one more year as both are still inside 260 games. I wouldn't make an offer to UFA McEneny; too many injuries plus he's good enough for top-4 minutes somewhere and there are enough competent/promising LHD's available for Utica next season to fill those minutes.

** indicates 321+ games full vet, * is a 261-320 games guy.

C
Loser of Canuck pre-season competition (Spooner** or Gaudette?)
Kero* or Gaunce* or similar replacement from another organization
Darcy
Woods* or Hamilton**
"Developmental" 5th centre from somewhere

LW
Loser of Canuck pre-season competition (Schaller** or Goldobin*?)
Boucher**
Gadjovich
Arseneau
Malone

RW
Loser of Canuck pre-season competition (MacEwen or Motte or, dare I say it, Eriksson**?)
Lind
Jasek
Bancks** or "developmental" replacement (Palmu?)

LHD
Sautner/Brisebois
Juolevi
Teves
Blujus

RHD
Schenn**?
Rafferty
Chatfield
Eliot
Graham

G
Kielly
DiPietro
Bachman

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How often do players on AHL contracts get cut/released? Not saying Bancks and or Hamilton will receive this treatment.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
AHL contracts are guaranteed so they would have to be traded or bought out. Woods might be the odd man out next season unless they move either Bancks or Hamilton. Can't see how they could justify having all three on the roster next year; all 3rd/4th liners and all above the 260-game mark.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
C
Loser of Canuck pre-season competition (Spooner** or Gaudette?)
Kero* or Gaunce* or similar replacement from another organization
Darcy
Woods* or Hamilton**
"Developmental" 5th centre from somewhere

LW
Loser of Canuck pre-season competition (Schaller** or Goldobin*?)
Boucher**
Gadjovich
Arseneau
Malone

RW
Loser of Canuck pre-season competition (MacEwen or Motte or, dare I say it, Eriksson**?)
Lind
Jasek
Bancks** or "developmental" replacement (Palmu?)

LHD
Sautner/Brisebois
Juolevi
Teves
Blujus

RHD
Schenn**?
Rafferty
Chatfield
Eliot
Graham

G
Kielly
DiPietro
Bachman

There are a few issues here.

1) The organization clearly sees Gaunce as a winger as they refused to play him at C last season even with the Comet's weak depth down the middle.

2) I don't see Goldobin sticking around if he thinks he's going to the AHL and I think the team might be happy to move on from him regardless.

3) I'd rather try to trade both of Schaller and Eriksson rather than bury them ~2 million in cap relief.

4) I actually think that it's more likely we see Biega sent down than Schenn but this one's just my gut feeling.

Beyond that, I sure hope we keep any prospects we have actual hopes for well away from Utica if the roster isn't improved this summer.

AHL contracts are guaranteed so they would have to be traded or bought out. Woods might be the odd man out next season unless they move either Bancks or Hamilton. Can't see how they could justify having all three on the roster next year; all 3rd/4th liners and all above the 260-game mark.

They could always loan them out either to another AHL team or to the ECHL, though neither option is likely.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
There are a few issues here.

1) The organization clearly sees Gaunce as a winger as they refused to play him at C last season even with the Comet's weak depth down the middle.

2) I don't see Goldobin sticking around if he thinks he's going to the AHL and I think the team might be happy to move on from him regardless.

3) I'd rather try to trade both of Schaller and Eriksson rather than bury them ~2 million in cap relief.

4) I actually think that it's more likely we see Biega sent down than Schenn but this one's just my gut feeling.

Beyond that, I sure hope we keep any prospects we have actual hopes for well away from Utica if the roster isn't improved this summer.

There are going to be changes and moves; it wasn't intended as a precise prediction of the roster, just to give an early look at who could/should be available and what needs to be considered.

Eriksson would have to be a cap-dump trade and that would cost other assets. Can't see another team wanting Schaller until the season is at least at halfway, similar to Del Zotto last season. Schenn might not be around next season, thus the "?"; I think he's very likely behind Biega on the depth chart if they do sign him. The way the game is played and officiated these days Biega is more effective.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Wacey and Bancks are already signed for next year. Sigh.

Some people just don't seem to pay attention to anything we say. The Hamilton and Bancks signing for 2 seasons has been a bone of contention in Utica since the signings before last season even began and has been mentioned a 1,000 times since. They are actually better hockey players than Woods and Darcy, but all 4 should be gone. They are not going to be instrumental in developing young players and will not contribute to a winning lineup. The only exception could be Bancks because he does have good leadership qualities and is one of the league's best forechecking/PK forwards with little scoring touch. He serves a key role, but there are AHL vets who can do most of what he does and actually score some goals as well.

Our paranoid fear is that Darcy and Woods will get similar treatment since Johnson seems to love guys who have to work like dogs to hold onto their jobs. Problem is all the work in the world is not going to bring these guys to a level worth all taking up roster spots on game night.

Woods will be 27 in a few days. He has been in the AHL 6 years and has only played 262 games. the AHL has played 456 regular season games in the same amount of time. He has 85 Pts or .33 PPG meaning he gets 1 point every 3 games and he's a center! Wonder why prospects on his wings don't develop as goal scorers!!?? He will still only have Veteran Exempt status this season meaning 5 Vets can still play if he is in the lineup.

Boucher had that VE status in 2017-18 and recorded 46 pts in 45 GP! These are the numbers your VE player should put up. Last year Boucher was moved up to veteran status and led the team in scoring (62Pts/61GP) and set a new single season record for goals scored in a season (31). His center was Chaput in 17-18 and Kero in 18-19.

I repost these numbers from 2018-19:

Darcy - 23 Pts
Woods - 17 Pts
Bancks - 15 Pts
Hamilton - Only played 23 games due to injury so I'll post his 2017-18 No.s - 22 Pts.

Anyone placing more than 1 of these guys at a time into a day to day roster dooms the Comets and moreso their prospects, especially when it's likely Kero, Gaunce, and Pyatt won't be around and Vancouver posters are replacing them with guys who will be Vancouver's first call-ups. Note, the guys I just mentioned were not considered call-up material and they were 4 of the team's top 5 offensive players with MacEwen as the other one. Players of this quality need to be around for a full season n0t just until Vancouver needs them.

Lastly, let me point out that centers who can score and set up their wings are necessary for any team to succeed and Vancouver doesn't seem to see the need to provide such players for their farm. There are none in the system so they have to go out and get therm. Darcy, Woods, and Hamilton are their answers.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Schaller will fix it.

Choke-----Choke----- Gasp! Don't make me laugh. LOL

Even if he does get sent down he will be one of those call-ups that leaves and doesn't come back. You know how the fragile Canucks crack, break, concuss, and drop. The Comets need quality centers like Kero, O'Reilly, Mueller, Hensick. and Chaput who are proven AHL center point machines that don't get called up. With centers of this ilk the prospects either **** or get off the pot because they will ,be given the puck in positions to score. If they don't, you know they are busts.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Anyone placing more than 1 of these guys at a time into a day to day roster dooms the Comets and moreso their prospects, especially when it's likely Kero, Gaunce, and Pyatt won't be around and Vancouver posters are replacing them with guys who will be Vancouver's first call-ups. Note, the guys I just mentioned were not considered call-up material and they were 4 of the team's top 5 offensive players with MacEwen as the other one. Players of this quality need to be around for a full season n0t just until Vancouver needs them.

Lastly, let me point out that centers who can score and set up their wings are necessary for any team to succeed and Vancouver doesn't seem to see the need to provide such players for their farm. There are none in the system so they have to go out and get therm. Darcy, Woods, and Hamilton are their answers.

If you're referring to me, all I did was list the guys already in the organization who could potentially be in Utica next season, and even at that I specifically noted that if Kero wasn't back he would have to be replaced by someone similar from another organization to be the 2C on the depth chart behind whomever would be the first call-up. FAN said the same thing. I haven't seen any "Vancouver poster" suggest that Utica should be trotting out Darcy as its 2C next season, and count me in as agreeing that they should try to find an upgrade on him at 3C.

Call-ups are a fact of life. MacEwen, Gaunce, Boucher and Kero were all called up at some point, and Pyatt was the midseason trade replacement for Archibald who had also been called up early in the season. Canucks already have quite a bunch of forwards under contract for next season plus a few others who will probably be re-signed and I suspect they will try to sign a winger in free agency, a LW if possible. With Baertschi's concussion issue and Roussel's knee injury-- which now I've read might keep him out until Xmas, never mind just November-- they can't go short on call-up calibre depth at forward, especially at LW.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Archie is officially a UFA again....Comets could bring him back on an AHL contract....definitely a fan favorite.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Archie is officially a UFA again....Comets could bring him back on an AHL contract....definitely a fan favorite.

Archi's agent is going to bust his ass to find Archi a 2-way of which he has recently had 2 of and Ottawa called him up as Vancouver had also. The guy can fill in at at the NHL level. Signing an AHL deal will be done only if nothing else is mustered. Utica will be his first choice only if all else fails.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad