2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
They should claim Haley. Also Reid Gardiner's trending upwards .50 AHL PPG in his last two games.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Leblanc has been a good surprise, steady-eddy d-man that goes mostly unnoticed most shifts which is what you need from your 3-6 d-men. Will be interesting to see where he fits in when everyone is back and healthy.

Big fan of his from his junior days in Mississauga

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Leblanc has been a good surprise, steady-eddy d-man that goes mostly unnoticed most shifts which is what you need from your 3-6 d-men. Will be interesting to see where he fits in when everyone is back and healthy.

Big fan of his from his junior days in Mississauga

****EDIT****** I fixed the numbering if you read this prior to doing such..

He should absolutely play over Chatfield.

1 Schenn
2 Sifers
3 Blujus
4 McEneny
5 Sautner
6 LeBlanc
7 Chatfield
8 Saucerman
9 Graham

When/If Schenn comes back he is in right away as #1 and I would sit Chatfield as he has been a train wreck since his return.

When Blujus is healthy he is one of their top D-men. Chatfield is still around, but is not as good as the other 6 and someone in that group has to sit. Saucerman (8) is also on the roster and Graham (9)is also on hand.

Cull will have to work his mind on overdrive to deal with this pleasant dilemma. Problem with him is that he doesn't like to have a player surplus. It's near the end of the season and a Black Aces group is necessary in the AHL. Right now he is dealing with only 7, but the return of Schenn and Blujus would make 9.

The Comets should carry them all or at the worst send Saucerman and/or Graham (orcatown has even suggested Chatfield) to Kalamazoo to play and stay in shape for emergencies. They are both on AHL contracts and the Zoo is the farm. Releasing Saucerman from his PTO would not be a wise move in my mind, not the way the D-corps here and in Vancouver subtract their numbers at any moment.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Brisebois is back. That's one of the group in Vancouver who will not have to be papered.

Gaudette, MacEwen, and Cripple Creek Demko are automatics.

Schenn should get sent back and therefore needs papering.

Spooner looks to be a stick with Vancouver, but if Green ends up not liking him, papering him just in case would hurt absolutely nothing. You can paper who you please. Actually assigning them to the AHL club is still at the discretion of the NHL management team. No harm no foul if they decide not to assign them.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Noon tomorrow on Leighton. Should have waited to send down Mazanec before doing this. Leighton getting claimed (which I doubt) could still end up putting the Cancuks/Comets back in snit.

If Leighton gets claimed and then Mazanec is returned al looks fine. Now Markstrom goes down and Mazanec goes up, Bingo no callup available and the Comets are once again playing 2 ECHL goalies.

Mazanec can return to Utica any time before his 30 days run out without a waiver problem. Keeping Leighton on his PTO would insure his existence as well. Thus 2 NHL eligible goalies on the farm since all they would have to do to bring up Leighton is sign him. Maybe you sign Leighton to an AHL contract right away to reward him and raise his pay check #s.

There is a risk in all of this and that is a PTO contract player can be poached at any time. I was skeptical about Leighton signed over McKenna until I watched both of them and I like Leighton better even if he is older. He and Mazanec could form a nice tandem should the Comets make the playoffs and then go on a run.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well now Sautner called up.

Brisebois down/Sautner up.

Thus, instead of Brisebois they better add Sautner to the paper down group.

Is Sautner going to play or does Schenn get a look while Sautner adorns the Pressbox?

7 days until the TDL and Vancouver has 3 games. The next day after game 3 is TDL and then we see the paper down names.

Is Schenn just going to sit up there? Take Chatfield for that. Schenn was the Comets best D-man and chatfield is a train wreck.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo has finally admitted the obvious in media interviews--he has to upgrade his blueline. Better 'late' than 'never' I guess. So who goes and who stays? Could impact the Comets big-time.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jimbo has finally admitted the obvious in media interviews--he has to upgrade his blueline. Better 'late' than 'never' I guess. So who goes and who stays? Could impact the Comets big-time.
And Gudbranson plays 13 minutes with Tanev and Edler out.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
7 days until the TDL and Vancouver has 3 games. The next day after game 3 is TDL and then we see the paper down names.
I have a very uneasy feeling about the trade deadline this year. Benning has stated a number of times that he will not trade away any draft choices in this year's draft because it is in Vancouver. He also said that he would like to acquire a few more picks for the same reason. Not because acquiring more picks helps the rebuild but because he wants to announce more picks in front of the home fans.

I could easily see him trade players like Boucher and Kero for 6th and 7th round picks to a NHL team that is looking to boost their AHL team for the playoffs. That gives him more to play with for his dog and pony show on draft day.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Gaudette, MacEwen, and Cripple Creek Demko are automatics. ...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Canucks don't paper Demko. If his agent was truly putting pressure on his behalf to get him out of the AHL and up to the NHL, it wouldn't be surprising if Benning keeps him in Vancouver, partly out of deciding he's an NHL goalie now (with his career total one NHL game this season and one last season) and partly to avoid having to deal with Demko's agent over the assignment.

If Demko remains on the IRL I'd be concerned whether Leighton will get on the Comets roster on the trade deadline day.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I wonder if there's any chance Demko gets an invite to the world championships. No real idea who the non_playoff American goalies are, and it would obviously require Demko to get healthy and play some games down the stretch, but might be a factor.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Canucks don't paper Demko. If his agent was truly putting pressure on his behalf to get him out of the AHL and up to the NHL, it wouldn't be surprising if Benning keeps him in Vancouver, partly out of deciding he's an NHL goalie now (with his career total one NHL game this season and one last season) and partly to avoid having to deal with Demko's agent over the assignment.

If Demko remains on the IRL I'd be concerned whether Leighton will get on the Comets roster on the trade deadline day.

NHL CBA requires that teams maintain a minimum 20-man roster with 18 skaters, 2 goalies, not counting players on IR. So that basically means Demko can’t be papered. If Demko is still on the IR, then either Leighton or Mazanec has to remain on Canucks active roster.

Reactions: Red

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If his agent was truly putting pressure on his behalf to get him out of the AHL and up to the NHL, it wouldn't be surprising if Benning keeps him in Vancouver, partly out of deciding he's an NHL goalie now (with his career total one NHL game this season and one last season) and partly to avoid having to deal with Demko's agent over the assignment.
Right on the money there. I'd be darned surprised to see Demko back in Utica this season. Next season remains a possibility if he plays himself out of Vancouver.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It's an interesting night on the out-of-town scoreboard.

Toronto has already won in regulation, and they're now tied with Utica in games played, points, and winning percentage.

Syracuse and Rochester are both in action, and if they drop a couple at this point they're going to be sliding back toward the Comets and the Marlies. The final weeks could be intriguing.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Rochester and Syracuse held serve with regulation wins against teams down in the division. Onward.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Right on the money there. I'd be darned surprised to see Demko back in Utica this season. Next season remains a possibility if he plays himself out of Vancouver.

This would be such total BS that a guy with the extremely small number of NHL GP could be called an NHL player and thus not get papered down.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
This would be such total BS that a guy with the extremely small number of NHL GP could be called an NHL player and thus not get papered down.
Of course it would, but the way Benning seemingly just accedes to anyone and everyone's wishes without an argument this is the predictable outcome here I'm confident. In no way is this scenario in anyone's best interest though; not the Canucks, certainly not the Comets, and least of all Demko's.

Reactions: Hit the post

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have a very uneasy feeling about the trade deadline this year. Benning has stated a number of times that he will not trade away any draft choices in this year's draft because it is in Vancouver. He also said that he would like to acquire a few more picks for the same reason. Not because acquiring more picks helps the rebuild but because he wants to announce more picks in front of the home fans.

I could easily see him trade players like Boucher and Kero for 6th and 7th round picks to a NHL team that is looking to boost their AHL team for the playoffs. That gives him more to play with for his dog and pony show on draft day.

I hate to break it to you, but if Benning can trade Boucher for a 6th or 7th round pick and Kero for a 6th or 7th round pick, that would be awesome and I think most Canucks fans here would be very happy about it.

Edit: I should add that that is basically an impossible task.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad