2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
And be one injury away again from Bachman being in the NHL. How did that work out for you? Demko is one game back from a two month concussion recovery and lets trade away our #2 goalie.
I'm not sure if he meant immediately which would be ridiculous. But Nilsson should be on the trading block closer to the deadline or if a playoff team loses their number 1 for a while.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Trade Nilsson to Pittsburgh, and call up Demko. They need a goalie since Murray has been inconsistent and now hurt.

Not now, at the deadline. I was responding to a poster who said at the deadline.

I must be missing something. Is Murray not expected back before the trade deadline? I thought he was listed as out until at least December 4 and possibly as long as January.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm surprised that there haven't been more established NHL backup goalies hitting the waiver wire.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just got through last night's game. Comets played a structured enough game defensively but generated nothing early - shots were 15-3 at the midpoint of the game. But they found their legs and outshot Laval badly in the 2nd half and had a nice 3rd period comeback to win.

- Demko makes a huge difference. Just looks like an NHLer in net. Didn't have to be spectacular but was solid and showed little rust. Also aided his defense all night with quality puckhandling.

- best forward again was Carcone. Seems to be getting better every game and is the most underrated prospect in the organization right now. Fastest player in the team and logging minutes in all situations. Makes something happen with his speed almost every shift. Finishes his checks hard despite his size. Scored a beautiful breakaway goal, had a couple other great looks at net, and several excellent setups for teammates. This was an excellent playmaking game for him with none of the Goldobin-ish forced passes/turnovers or Leipsic-ish over handling of the puck that can plague his game at times. Only player pushing back and generating anything early - of those 3 shots in the first 30 minutes, 2 were from Carcone and the other set up by him. You have to wonder both if he deserved the callup over Boucher and if he's a better prospect than a guy like Dahlen right now. Is the most in-form player on the team.

- conversely, Dahlen despite flashes of higher-level puck skill continues to disappoint and underachieve. Disappears for long stretches far too easily and is starting to look like a perimeter player. Not much intensity or much of a motor. Now 2 goals in 18 games which is hugely disappointing for an older prospect with his experience against men.

- Jasek didn't make much happen offensively but I liked his awareness and puck support defensively. Has some jam and took some hard hits to make safe clearances.

- Palmu had by far his best game of the ones I've seen so far ... which to be fair isn't saying much. More hustle and jump, got to a couple loose pucks to make plays, and made a nice pass in the neutral zone to free up Blujus for his goal. Looked a bit quicker. Needs to string some games like this together. Gadjovich still looked ponderous, though.

- MacEwan looks tired and isn't performing as well as he did a few games back. Not moving his feet well enough. When he keeps his feet moving and does stuff at speed, he can be a freight train. When he doesn't, he has a bit of an iffy first step and the play catches him.

- Boucher is dangerous on the PP but his skating is awful even at this level. A bit surprised to see him called up right now.

- best defender - by a wide margin - was Dylan Blujus. Looked like a guy you could put on an NHL 3rd pairing and who wouldn't embarrass himself. Skated well, moved the puck well, scored a beauty goal and won a fight. Lots of small plays to win/maintain possession and didn't put a foot wrong defensively. Was paired with Sautner mostly and clearly more dynamic than Sautner, who wasn't that bad but not at the same level

- Brisebois skated pretty well again but really struggled moving the puck. At least 5 failed clearances/turnovers in his own end.

- McEneny scored and looked good on the PP with Juolevi out but his skating after multiple serious leg injuries is lagging badly. Generating no leg drive and was blown by a couple times. Hard to see him getting back to the NHL.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Way I saw it.

Early in the game, Laval had a huge territorial advantage. Shots 15 - 3 mid way thru the second period. (this was aided by a number of penalties to the Utica) After that, Comets took over (again aided by penalties) and Demko had little to do outside on the last minute flurry by Rockets. Laval only got 6 shots from the mid point on.

Did not think that Demko was the first star. In the first, he fumbled with some shots dropping them down his feet which led to Laval players trying to slap the puck loose and then some scrums. Good to see Comets coming to Demko's aid and roughing up players who were whacking away at Demko's pads. In the second that led to Blujus fighting (and winning) against pest Pezzatta. Also, in the second, Demko bunted a puck into the front of the net and puck got chipped in. Other goal was a good shot from a player breaking in wide open on the wing. Late in the game, an open shot from right point went off the post and there seemed to be room on Demko's short side.

Overall, I thought Demko was ok but I think there was a tentative element to his play. But for a first game back after a long term injury have to give him some credit for helping the team to a win.

Also I thought this was one of the better games (outside of Graham) for the defense.

The best, to me, was Sautner who consistently broke up plays, moved people off the puck and skated the puck out of danger. This player has improved his play around his net and is doing much better this year at keeping inside position and standing his ground and not letting opposition get into the goal crease.

Blujus also played well and scored on an excellent shot and went to the defense of Demko.

McEneny is getting back to moving the puck fairly well. However, still lacks the speed to skate the puck out of trouble and is still not as good as he was before all the injuries. Was the QB on the PP and did some good (such as score a goal) and bad here. Right now the PP is kind of make-shift and while it did create chances it also gave up chances.

Brisebois skated well and made some decent passes out of zone. Still getting tied up in his end some times and has to start contributing to the offense. Seems to have some offensive attributes but he is not creating much.

Sifters provide a solid effort and pretty much mistake free.

Graham again too weak in his end and on the first goal against was shoved off the puck leading directly to the goal.

Best player in the game by a bit was Carcone. His speed created problems for Laval all game. Scored one of his high-light type goals in the first. A goal very much against the run of the play. And, at that point in the game, about all the Comets had going was Carcone. Had other chances and I thought moved the puck well on the PP.

MacEwen looked tired and maybe a little banged up. Gave it an effort as he always does but struggled getting much accomplished. Had an excellent chance to break away with the puck with the Laval goalie pulled but shot the puck into the bench when he tried to bank it around the last defender. Kind of the way it is going for this player.

Boucher doesn't look back up to speed but was decently effective. Killed penalties pretty well and made a couple of very good set-ups to Kero (who should have been able to put one of these away). Boucher again displayed some excellent hand-eye co-ordination when he slapped down and got immediate control of hard knee high passes. But he needs to skate better. Canucks always seem to bring Boucher up when he is not at his best.

Dahlen had one good chance in the third but overall had a very quiet game. Didn't make himself anything of factor really.

Nice to see Palmu and Godjovich get a point and I guess they were marginally better.

Jasek did virtually nothing all game. However, Jasek was pulled from the PP and with all the penalties and special teams play he, like Dahlen, doesn't get much ice time.

Thought Bancks played well defensively and on the PK

Team remains very depleted and I fear what will happen when they get to face Rochester next.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Rochester tonight for the Comets in the Flower city.

Gaunce added to the roster and Boucher is in Vancouver. Not exactly a one for one switch.

Comets down to to 6 D-men including Graham. Chatfield and Juolevi both injured. Olli won't play either game left this weekend. Chatfield out at least 3 weeks. So jagger Dirk has been recalled.

Ivan Kulbakov has been returned to Kalamazoo. Backman and Demko now the Comets goal tending tandem for the first time this season.

At least 14 forwards available. Haven't seen who of that 14 may also have an ass ache and would explain their absence on Wednesday unless healthy scratches. Doesn't really matter. The players out on Friday penciled in wouldn't make a big difference over the players they replace.

Rochester is on a tear at 11-4-2-0. They have a player tied fro 1st, another tied for 2nd and another tied for 6th in scoring in treh AHL. Their #1 was just called up to Buffalo, 22 yr-old Swede, Lawrence Pilut, a rookie D-man with 22 points.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Comets are up 1-0 in the first. Gaunce from Kero and Jasek.

Bachman's in goal for Utica.

Update: That didn't last long: Rochester leads 2-1 late in the first.

Even if Bachman struggles in this game, I think it was the right move to give him the net and let Demko take a break.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Wow! The Comets score a couple on the power play to go up 3-2, still late in the first.

MacEwen from Dahlen and Graham

Carcone from Graham and Jasek

Three points so far from Jasek.

At the end of one, The Americans are outshooting the Comets 20-10.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
11/23/20018

Utica Comets @ Rochester Americans

Forwards:
Gaunce/Kero/Jasek
Dahlen/Darcy/Bancks
Carcone/Cameranesi/MacEwen
Gadjovich/Gardiner/Palmu

D-Pairs:
Sautner/Blujus
Brisebois/Sifers
Graham/McEneny

Goal - Bachman

End of the 1st;

3-2 Comets

SOG:
Comets - 10
Amerks - 20 (The most shots surrendered by the Comets in any one period this season.)

PP:
Comets: 2/2
Amerks - 1/2

Gaunce (2) from Kero (10) and Jasek (3)
MacEwen (8) from Dahlen (10) and Graham (2) PP
Carcone (5) from Graham (3) and Jasek (4) PP

PP1
MacEwen
Carcone/Kero/Dahlen
McEneny

PP2
Gadjovich
Carcone (McEneny) /Gaunce/Jasek
Graham

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Classic Bachman again. Comes out to play the puck, loses it, free shot by the Amerks, hits the post. As I said during his game against the Wild with the Canucks, he should be forbidden to play the puck. It is almost never uneventful.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
MacEwen steals it in the neutral zone and beats one man, but his patented toe drag is once again foiled and then he manages to center to Carcone who missed the net.

PK successful

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
2 on 1 for the Amerks and Kero gets a hooking penalty from behind.
Dahlen had just had a good carry to the net and was stopped. The 2 on 1 followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad