2018-19 UEFA Europa League

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The two foremost expert panels thought so independent of each other, apparently he is. Or was as of September/December 2018.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Had the best year? Debatable is the best player not even close. Kane being 5 slots behind Messi is very cute. As cute as Arsenal with Cesc as their captain.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A team has 30 or so players, even if you do not agree with every individual player valuation because someone overpaid, still they easily even out providing a useful comparison between Liverpool and Bayern or whichever teams or leagues you wish to compare.

There's nothing to suggest they even out, especially you saying so. And the Messi/Kane example I provided debunks the overpaid theory. In fact my original comparison to Van Dijk was going to be Gimenez who Transfermarkt values the same as Lucas Hernandez, so again it really isn't about overpayment.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Messi fanboys surely value him in billions, but that has little to do with reality where I think the 160 million estimate is fairly reasonable.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi fanboys surely value him in billions, but that has little to do with reality where I think the 160 million estimate is fairly reasonable.
So Coutimho and Messi are 10 million apart? Really who cares what his value is to other teams. Newsflash you can’t and will never have so, dream on and keep your 160

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

160 million may be fair market value, but it's entirely beside your original point and doesn't demonstrate his value on the pitch right compared to similarly valued players in the perceived market.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
6000 tickets for each club, in a 68.000 seater stadium, and no direct flights from London to Baku :laugh:

As a joke i looked at flights from Toronto to Baku...They were all around the 3 thousand mark and 24 hours of travel. I guess i'll watch like Mhki, on a tv in the safety of my home.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Is it really confirmed that Mkhi won't be able to go? Surely UEFA should intervene to get him an exemption

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Meh, its above soccer at that point. I don't think suspending them would do anything to help the underlying issues.

But it impacts soccer in a way that is not acceptable. What's next? Turkey doesn't let in Israeli players? Ukraine can not participate in a EURO or WC because Russia is the host and does not allow it?

That's a blatant example of politics interfering with soccer in a manner that is detrimental to the international football federations. They cannot tolerate this without consequences.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The soccer federations should pick a different spot to host their finals in these instances. Kind of hard to change it now. The political stuff will always supersede a sport.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
But it impacts soccer in a way that is not acceptable. What's next? Turkey doesn't let in Israeli players? Ukraine can not participate in a EURO or WC because Russia is the host and does not allow it?

That's a blatant example of politics interfering with soccer in a manner that is detrimental to the international football federations. They cannot tolerate this without consequences.

Really it just should never have been put in Baku in the first place to avoid the issue.

Unfortunately they can tolerate it and likely will. When it comes to the nexus of football and Politics, officiating bodies often let things go. They don't care to get involved with deep routed tensions and why would they?

It definitely sucks and I feel for Mhki. I'm sure he wants to be there more than anything else but I also bet he does not want to be the cause of anything boiling over.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Meh, its above soccer at that point. I don't think suspending them would do anything to help the underlying issues.
I suggest that sports should NOT be impacted by political discourse. However, there are exceptions, the only two countries I would personally ban are Soviet Union and other communistic parties like Venezuela (suffering people makers) and Nazi Germany.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So who gets directly to the CLgroup stages and who has to go through the qualifying, if Spurs and/or Arsenal win the CL/EL finals? Will Chelsea drop below them in the CL rankings even if they finish 3rd in the PL?

If they would, that adds an extra incentive for Chelsea against Arsenal in the EL final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad