Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Kase has had chemistry with Henrique before. Ritchie just happened to be the 3rd guy on that line. Ritchie doesn't fit anywhere besides the 4th line right now unfortunately.

Also, Aberg on the 3rd line is intriguing because the 3rd line has given us next to nothing offensively and Kes and Cogs are responsible enough defensively to hold the line together from that point of view.

Taking one guy off an effective line and saying he didn't matter is hard for me. How do you know that Ritchie being physical didn't open up more space for the other two? Good lines are not as simple as just putting three goal scoring skill guys together. Sometimes it's a little more subtle than that.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Sadly, Aberg is one of the only guys who can manufacture his own offense so there's that.
I disagree that Aberg can manufacture offense. He has shown he can play second fiddle to Getzlaf, which is nice, we need someone to do that in order to spread our depth.

Kase is the guy who has shown he can do that. Hopefully he is recovered

Reactions: gilfaizon

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Kase has had chemistry with Henrique before. Ritchie just happened to be the 3rd guy on that line. Ritchie doesn't fit anywhere besides the 4th line right now unfortunately.

Also, Aberg on the 3rd line is intriguing because the 3rd line has given us next to nothing offensively and Kes and Cogs are responsible enough defensively to hold the line together from that point of view.
Did you even watch the team last season? Ritchie provided the muscle for that line. He was amongst the league leaders in hits creating space. But of course as usual any physical player sucks

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I'm very surprised by the Ritchie fandom on this site. We don't have a guy who has done less with more opportunities that him. His best batch of games played was with Getz and we all know that's not happening ever again.

The Ducks have been offensively inept for 2 years now and need a shake up. Having the scoring spread throughout the lineup (Rakell/Getz 1st line, Silf/Rico/Kase 2nd line, Kes/Aberg 3rd line) is absolutely the way to go. Besides firing Randy of course...

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm very surprised by the Ritchie fandom on this site. We don't have a guy who has done less with more opportunities that him. His best batch of games played was with Getz and we all know that's not happening ever again.

The Ducks have been offensively inept for 2 years now and need a shake up. Having the scoring spread throughout the lineup (Rakell/Getz 1st line, Silf/Rico/Kase 2nd line, Kes/Aberg 3rd line) is absolutely the way to go. Besides firing Randy of course...
That's just not true. His best time with us was when he was playing with Rico and Kase. I'm not a huge Ritchie fan, but you're underselling a lot. Also your idea of Kes and Aberg being depth scoring is hilarious, Kes is hardly a scorer anymore and Aberg is the biggest ? on the team; definitely not a guy you can count on for depth scoring.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Did you even watch the team last season? Ritchie provided the muscle for that line. He was amongst the league leaders in hits creating space. But of course as usual any physical player sucks
I dunno if he can be counted on to score at the same rate, but he certainly creates chances. He’s good at getting to pucks in the corners and getting the puck to the front of the net. He also appears to be more than willing to shoot the puck, which is a nice change from the rest of the team.

Time will tell if this is an adrenaline thing vs who he is.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
That's just not true. His best time with us was when he was playing with Rico and Kase. I'm not a huge Ritchie fan, but you're underselling a lot. Also your idea of Kes and Aberg being depth scoring is hilarious, Kes is hardly a scorer anymore and Aberg is the biggest ? on the team; definitely not a guy you can count on for depth scoring.

Ritchie was drafted as a power forward who can score. He hasn't shown that he can consistently score at the NHL level, hence my criticism of him. From a physicality point, hes our second best guy throwing the body next to Manson. But where the game is going (speed, north-south offense, quick zone exits, skating the puck out of danger, etc), he's getting to be pretty damn useless.

My idea of Kes/Aberg is because Silfberg is a 1-trick pony (skate up and fire from 30 feet away) and Cogs has zero offense. At least Aberg is semi-dynamic and might be able to spark Kes if Kes goes directly to the net and looks for rebounds.

Would love to hear some other roster ideas. The majority of ideation on the roster this year is in the form of complaining, whining and saying "good thing i went to bed early."

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Ritchie was drafted as a power forward who can score. He hasn't shown that he can consistently score at the NHL level, hence my criticism of him. From a physicality point, hes our second best guy throwing the body next to Manson. But where the game is going (speed, north-south offense, quick zone exits, skating the puck out of danger, etc), he's getting to be pretty damn useless.

My idea of Kes/Aberg is because Silfberg is a 1-trick pony (skate up and fire from 30 feet away) and Cogs has zero offense. At least Aberg is semi-dynamic and might be able to spark Kes if Kes goes directly to the net and looks for rebounds.

Would love to hear some other roster ideas. The majority of ideation on the roster this year is in the form of complaining, whining and saying "good thing i went to bed early."
Sometimes players don't pan out the way they were intended to, doubt anyone expected Rakell to be a 30 goal scorer when drafted.That doesn't mean that player sucks. Ritchie is not a goal scorer, but he does create space that allows Kase and Rico to create offense. You seem to be ignoring that for some reason. Ritchie (especially the current one and the one that played well last season) is a good addition to the team.

Your evaluation of Silf is way off dude. Kes and Silf (Cogs to an extent) create their offense by cycling down low until one of them can get alone in front of the net for a chance. That's how that line was able to produce offensively while still being a shut down line. Now Silf is able to expand his offensive capabilities since he isn't stapled to a shutdown line. I find it funny you expect Aberg to be scoring depth with Kes despite Aberg never getting more than 10 points in a season, but Ritchie who has hovered near 30 points the last 2 seasons can't provide any offense). He can create some flashy plays for sure, but a lot of the time he does it leads to nothing. He's been able to feed off of Getz since Getz can set him up. Kes can not do that while also having to focus on defense.

Reactions: Paul4587

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Ritchie hasn't lived up to expectations (of most on these boards). That doesn't mean he isn't a useful player and will not score more as he gains experience.

As far as roster ideas, I think I'm with most who would like to see THIS roster with a different style of coach.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
It’d be great if Hazy and Alhers would stop pushing the injured Ducks narrative as an excuse, every team has injuries and we’ve had most of our team healthy for awhile now, just say we suck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think it may be time to move Cogs to the 4th line. Sherwood is starting to look like a better version of Cogs. I feel like Ritchie is playing slightly better this year with more confidence and trying to make plays. Hopefully that continues and he starts actually developing because in the past he never looked to make plays and consequently never developed. I'm holding out hope for that guy based solely on the changes he has made to his game. No more shoot or dump immediately when you get the puck. Learn to use your size to control the puck and be patient.

I'd like to let Aberg continue auditioning for the spot on Getzlaf line because he has some potential and is raw, he just is sloppy right now and small so not great at cycling but I see potential. If Ritchie doesnt pull it together I could see the following

Raks Getz Eaves (scoring)
Silf Rico Kase (scoring)
Cogs Kesler Sherwood (shutdown)
Ritchie Kassila Aberg (4th line that can actually score)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silfverberg-Henrique-Kase
Ritchie-Kesler-Eaves
Cogliano-Whoever-Sherwood

Id be okay with this line up... wouldn't mind kossila getting a look as that 4c. Oh I forgot about Aberg … idk that he deserves to be out of the line up... he has been 1 of our better players... I wonder if you go

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Eaves/Cogs

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Id be okay with this line up... wouldn't mind kossila getting a look as that 4c. Oh I forgot about Aberg … idk that he deserves to be out of the line up... he has been 1 of our better players... I wonder if you go

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Eaves/Cogs

said it a few weeks ago and it's still true to me. I think Cogs, Eaves, and Silfverberg should all be "available" right now. Time to shed some salary. I'd love Silfverberg back, but unless we're able to move both Cogs and Eaves and/or Perry/Kesler, we can't give him 5 million a season. Plus, he's gonna be what? 29? What we see is what we get. 5 million for what he brings is somewhat iffy IMO.

As far as the lines. With everyone but Perry:

Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silfverberg-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Ritchie-Rowney-Eaves

is what I'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad