Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Honestly, I don’t think Quine is being talked about enough (I forgot about him myself in my previous post). I’m not sure he is a regular, but I think he’s a better option in that 13 slot than either Hathaway or Lazar.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Foo scored two goals in meaningless games where he was force fed big minutes and treated as a bit of a mascot with guys trying to get him points. He looked badly out of place even in those watered down games.

Lazar might not threaten for the Art Ross but he is a effective forecheck, defensively responsible and not a liability like Brouwer was every shift.

Umm no he didn't. Came up and got himself involved physically and made some smart plays.

Lazar has played 245 games in the NHL. He has scored 15 goals. Saying he might not threaten for the Art Ross is like saying Apple has found some financial success selling personal computing.

Sure they were meaningless games and it's an extremely small sample size but you just plain wrong in saying "he looked badly out of place".

In his 4 games, he averaged 4 shots a game, had dominant possession stats and scoring chance rates, the highest expected goals for per 60 minutes out of any Flames player this season @ 1.21 (although again, extremely small sample size but notable in this instance). His game score per 60 minutes (3.62) was also by far the best on the Flames.

So while they were 4 meaningless games and those numbers aren't necessarily indicative of what Foo's numbers would look like over a full NHL season, saying he looked badly out of place in his 4 games is just a stupid (understatement) thing to say when all of his numbers suggest he was excellent in those 4 games.

Yes exactly. What's the point of calling a player up to the NHL if not for a showcase? And if that showcase goes well why would you not want to see more? I think the more you can keep that part of the lineup fresh the better.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm fairly certain both Lazar and Hathaway would clear waivers if we wanted to call Quine up
Yes. If we wanted to...
Right, a guy that has shown some ability to play at the NHL level is guaranteed to play in the AHL.

There is no way Quine isn’t at least as good as Lazar and Hathaway.
Sure. Still doesn't mean he doesn't start in the AHL without a good camp. Same can be said for about 6-7 guys TBH.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Umm no he didn't. Came up and got himself involved physically and made some smart plays.

Yes exactly. What's the point of calling a player up to the NHL if not for a showcase? And if that showcase goes well why would you not want to see more? I think the more you can keep that part of the lineup fresh the better.

Sure and if that showcase goes poorly like it did for Foo then you likely need to see something at the lower levels to want to bring him up again.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So... I think the majority of us agree/know that the top 6 will be:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm/Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm/Neal

This leaves the following guys as probable locks in the bottom 6:

- Michael Frolik (shoots: L, plays: LW/RW)
- Derek Ryan (shoots: R, plays C/RW)
- Sam Bennett (shoots: L, plays C/LW)
- Mark Jankowski (shoots: L, plays C/LW*)
* played LW as a Freshman at Providence College
- Austin Czarnik (shoots: R, plays C/RW)

Leaving the following fighting for the final spot in the bottom 6 and the two extra forward spots:

- Garnet Hathaway (shoots: R, plays: LW/RW)
- Curtis Lazar (shoots: R, plays C/LW/RW)
- Spencer Foo (shoots: R, plays C/RW)
- Andrew Mangiapane (shoots: L, plays LW)
- Dillon Dube (shoots: L, plays C/LW)
- Morgan Klimchuk (shoots: L, plays LW/RW)
- Alam Quine (shoots: L, plays C)
- Yasin Ehliz (shoots: L, plays LW/RW)
- Tyler Graovac (shoots: L, plays C)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm wondering where neal will fit. It doesnt make much sense to have neal on the defensive backlund line, and having another playmaker in lindholm with tkachuk and backlund doesnt really make sense either. Peter's has also made it sound quite clear that lindholm will start on the top line.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
He's said as much in interviews.

He's also a notorious line juggler, so that idea is always subject to change.
As far as I know, all those interviews came before signing Neal, no?

He’s also said Tkachuk will get a look in preseason.

I think that spot is still very much up in the air.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm wondering where neal will fit. It doesnt make much sense to have neal on the defensive backlund line, and having another playmaker in lindholm with tkachuk and backlund doesnt really make sense either. Peter's has also made it sound quite clear that lindholm will start on the top line.
I think spreading around the most defensively aware players is a good thing. Yeah, a shut down line is great, but let's be honest here, the 3M line's method of shutting their opposition down was as much via puck possession as it was defensive play; I don't think Neal will hurt us in that regard. Where as Lindholm on the top line adds that very good defensive prescience to the top line and Frolik moving down adds one to the bottom six.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
As far as I know, all those interviews came before signing Neal, no?

He’s also said Tkachuk will get a look in preseason.

I think that spot is still very much up in the air.

He said it just a week or so ago on 960 that his plan is to start Lindholm with Gaudreau and Monahan & Neal with Tkachuk and Backlund but of course that could change

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad