Hanafin-Hamonic
Stone-Andersson
Kulak

Smith
Gillies

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
The Czarnik hype in the "Who is the next Yanni Gourde" thread has me quaking in my boots

This offseason we went from having 3/4 of an identity to

1. Having a real first line
2. In an ideal world, 2 second lines
3. A fourth line that might well be a third line, and the ability to give some of our prospects chances to prove themselves.
4. Gio and Brodie back together
5. Hamilton out for a player who is hopefully a better fit and has a similar or higher ceiling

I am so excited for this season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Still doesn't help with the gag reflex.

I will refuse to buy into the hype until I have proof.
I don't think any of us are. The common response from us seems to be more along the lines of we can only hope. For me, all I buy is he'll be on the roster and likely get some PP2 time to start off. From the highlights I have seen he does look very skilled at creating scoring opportunities for both him and his linemates. Now, whether he can do that at teh NHL level is another story.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Still doesn't help with the gag reflex.

I will refuse to buy into the hype until I have proof.

I agree with your assessment of the situation.

"Everybody here is saying X player here was brought in to play on the Y line."" There is no way Peters will play him on Y line." "We drafted X #W overall there e is no way we should stifle the growth by playing him there."

I would argue no slot is assured in the forwards except maybe Mony.

Tkachuk-Mony-Neal
Johnny-Jankowski-Lindholm

Are 2 very real possibilities.

So are about 15 other combinations. All I do know is come camp everybody better bring their A-game or they could find themselves way further down in the line-up than they anticipated. Czarnik while likely to make the line-up will be hard pressed to rise up the line-up. Ryan at the talent level he possess could likely end up on the fourth line. Backlund, Jankowski, Lindholm, Ryan and Frolik will all be fighting for their spot in the roster. Youngsters like Foo, Mangiapane, Klimchuck, Phillips and Gawdin will all be pushing hard for a spot in the line-up. There is a very real possibility that a player everyone thought was guaranteed a spot will be the 13th forward.

As far as the defense goes Valimaki, Kylington, and Andersson are sure to be pushing hard.

The depth at every position is crazy and I can't wait to see who truly earns their spot... Then the performance to maintain their spot in the line-up. The Flames are crazy good on paper. (In discussion for the deepest line-up in the West.)

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
I don't really have an opinion on Czarnik, I was just excited that other team's fans were hyping him up. There's a reason he wasn't actually included in my list of 5 reasons to be excited.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hypothetically, if at the deadline Neal is on pace for ~25 goals and Max Pacioretty is on pace for ~35 goals, would you do that one-for-one trade, knowing that Patches may have a bit of an agreement re-sign for a similar cap hit as Neal?

Or do you err on the side of "don't immediately trade guys who picked you in the free market"?

I think I'd do it. It'd be a Masai Ujiri type cutthroat move, but it'd be worth it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hypothetically, if at the deadline Neal is on pace for ~25 goals and Max Pacioretty is on pace for ~35 goals, would you do that one-for-one trade, knowing that Patches may have a bit of an agreement re-sign for a similar cap hit as Neal?

Or do you err on the side of "don't immediately trade guys who picked you in the free market"?

I think I'd do it. It'd be a Masai Ujiri type cutthroat move, but it'd be worth it.
I'd keep Neal. It's cliche but if we're playoff bound, it pays to have players from teams with a winning culture and a proven track record as a good leader. Tired of trading for players from underperforming teams like Arizona and Carolina.

A Pacioretty that's been worn down mentally by the Habs org may be revitalized by a trade but it's more likely he'd want to be out of the spotlight a la Kessel, whereas Neal is fully aware of the lofty expectations that the fans have of him and signed here willingly.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Any chance to see Dillon Dubé crack the line-up? I know he only have 6 games under his belt but this kid look actually good. He won't be a top 6 forward but I could see him as the fourth line center.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Any chance to see Dillon Dubé crack the line-up? I know he only have 6 games under his belt but this kid look actually good.
Too much logjam in the forward group. Even if he has a good camp he’ll likely be in the AHL and be an injury call up

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Any chance to see Dillon Dubé crack the line-up? I know he only have 6 games under his belt but this kid look actually good. He won't be a top 6 forward but I could see him as the fourth line center.

With the roster as it stands today there is 1 spot available on the 4th line for a rookie/tweener to take over.

Gaudreau-Mony-Neal
Tkachuk-Backs-Lindholm
Bennett-Janko-Czarnik
xxx-Ryan-Frolik

So that lost spot is being fought for by Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Hathaway, Lazar, and outside chances like Klimchuk.

Who ever gets that spot is going to fight like hell to earn it because it's going to be tough. IMO it's really only down to Mangiapane, Dube and Foo, the other three don't stand a chance if even just one of the guys I mentioned show up.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There’s really 1 regular spot open, possibly a 2nd if injuries occur. But whoever has the best camp out of Lazar, Foo, Mangiapane, Dube, Klimchuk and Hathaway is going to get it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Who ever gets that spot is going to fight like hell to earn it because it's going to be tough. IMO it's really only down to Mangiapane, Dube and Foo, the other three don't stand a chance if even just one of the guys I mentioned show up.

I agree there is only one spot there but why do you have Foo ahead of Klimchuk or Lazar?

Klimchuk had basically the same numbers as Foo, is younger and a better defensive guy. Lazar played most of the season last year and would have to clear waivers (which he may do) and is a much better player. I don't see why Foo is ahead of either of those guys.

I think that the final spot (to start the season at least) is likely between Lazar, Mangiapane and Hathaway. I think Hathaway is almost assured of the 13th spot and his "toughness" is something nobody else really does. I could see him getting the spot by default. I think that Lazar is the best of the 3 and most versatile so he makes the most sense to me. Mangiapane I think has the most upside and brings a offensive component the others don't have but he looked so bad in his short time in the NHL I could see them wanting him to have another year (or at least half a year) in the AHL.

Assuming none of the guys force the issue in camp I think it probably starts off as:

Lazar-Ryan-Czarnik
Mangiapane-Hathaway

But by mid-season I could see Dube or Klimchuk replacing any of Lazar/Hathaway/Mangiapane

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I agree there is only one spot there but why do you have Foo ahead of Klimchuk or Lazar?

Klimchuk had basically the same numbers as Foo, is younger and a better defensive guy. Lazar played most of the season last year and would have to clear waivers (which he may do) and is a much better player. I don't see why Foo is ahead of either of those guys.

I think that the final spot (to start the season at least) is likely between Lazar, Mangiapane and Hathaway. I think Hathaway is almost assured of the 13th spot and his "toughness" is something nobody else really does. I could see him getting the spot by default. I think that Lazar is the best of the 3 and most versatile so he makes the most sense to me. Mangiapane I think has the most upside and brings a offensive component the others don't have but he looked so bad in his short time in the NHL I could see them wanting him to have another year (or at least half a year) in the AHL.

Assuming none of the guys force the issue in camp I think it probably starts off as:

Lazar-Ryan-Czarnik
Mangiapane-Hathaway

But by mid-season I could see Dube or Klimchuk replacing any of Lazar/Hathaway/Mangiapane

Lazar sucks. So does Hathaway. Seen enough out of them to know they are fringe NHL players at best. The point is to find somebody better. That's how an NHL roster works. Or how it should work anyways.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Lazar sucks. So does Hathaway. Seen enough out of them to know they are fringe NHL players at best. The point is to find somebody better. That's how an NHL roster works. Or how it should work anyways.

I agree Hathaway sucks but he is a good guy to have sit in the PB for most of the year and fill in short term for injuries and

I disagree that Lazar sucks and certainly not compared to the other guys mentioned for that spot. I understand bringing in guys to improve the team but just because a guy like Foo hasn't played much in the NHL certainly doesn't make him better. His stats certainly don't make him appear to be better, his sort stint in the NHL definitely doesn't appear to make him better either. I just don't see anything with him to indicate why he should be on a NHL roster or that he is even close to as good, let alone better than Lazar (or really Klimchuk, Dube or Mangiapane.)

Reactions: Corpus X

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm still having a hard time deciding who fits with Mony/Johnny. Neal would score 30 goals again, I think... Lindholm would make it a defensively viable line.

Johnny - Monahan - Neal -> 100 goal, 200 point first line, possible.
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm -> Super defensively aware, great skill on the wings, one of the best non-"we have a 1C on our second line" second lines in the league.
Bennett - Ryan - Frolik -> Frolik gives the line some two-way play, could be a line that breaks out offensively. Will get some easy match-ups. With Frolik and Ryan, on the third, third line doesn't get taken out back the woodshed as much.
X - Jankowski - Czarnik -> This is a good third line on a lot of teams.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm still having a hard time deciding who fits with Mony/Johnny. Neal would score 30 goals again, I think... Lindholm would make it a defensively viable line.

Johnny - Monahan - Neal -> 100 goal, 200 point first line, possible.
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm -> Super defensively aware, great skill on the wings, one of the best non-"we have a 1C on our second line" second lines in the league.
Bennett - Ryan - Frolik -> Frolik gives the line some two-way play, could be a line that breaks out offensively. Will get some easy match-ups. With Frolik and Ryan, on the third, third line doesn't get taken out back the woodshed as much.
X - Jankowski - Czarnik -> This is a good third line on a lot of teams.
I'm on the side of Lindholm with Gaudreau & Monahan. I think adding Lindholm will allow Johnny & Sean an opportunity to open up a little more.

Also Backlund & Tkachuk are both capable playmakers, so I think Neal could still get 30 goals, as he will very likely be on the PP unit with Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm on the side of Lindholm with Gaudreau & Monahan. I think adding Lindholm will allow Johnny & Sean an opportunity to open up a little more.

Also Backlund & Tkachuk are both capable playmakers, so I think Neal could still get 30 goals, as he will very likely be on the PP unit with Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm.

Im easy either way.
I think Lindholm's got a tonne of untapped potential. Playing with Johnny will get him a career high. I love Ferland, but Johnny made the guy a 20/20 player (Ferland helped on his end too), but you're talking about a guy who's already a 12/30 guy playing on some dog Carolina teams.

I don't see why he couldn't be a 20/40 guy playing with Johnny. If that's the case, good luck NHL.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The way I see it is that Neal wasn't brought in to play on a shutdown line. So if he plays with Backlund, it means that a different line is going to get some more difficult matchups rather than throwing them all to the second line.

It could be the first line, in which case Gaudreau and Monahan likely see their numbers drop or it might be Jankowski to be groomed for Backlund's present shutdown role, which I think is very likely.

If Neal plays on the first line, the message is clear: First line gets softer matchups and the chance to rack up goals at the expense of the second line whose job stays the same.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The way I see it is that Neal wasn't brought in to play on a shutdown line. So if he plays with Backlund, it means that a different line is going to get some more difficult matchups rather than throwing them all to the second line.

I know it getting to be a broken record with me harping on this but if they are going to use the second line, especially Tkachuk in a defensive shutdown line again I think I will lose my mind.

To bring in more secondary scoring with guys like Neal and Lindholm only to put that 2nd line in a terrible situation to generate offense seems crazy.

Also what is the point in having Frolik on the team, and paying him all that money, if he isn't going to be used in a primarily defensive/shutdown role?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
With the roster as it stands today there is 1 spot available on the 4th line for a rookie/tweener to take over.

Gaudreau-Mony-Neal
Tkachuk-Backs-Lindholm
Bennett-Janko-Czarnik
xxx-Ryan-Frolik

So that lost spot is being fought for by Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Hathaway, Lazar, and outside chances like Klimchuk.

Strange post. Klimchuk has just as good of a chance to grab that spot as the other guys mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad