Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I kind of want to see Monahan and Johnny broken up. It won’t happen right away, but when they hit an inevitable slump at some point, I think Peters won’t hesitate to do it.

We don’t have another center to play with Gaudreau so I don’t know how that works.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Gaudreau - Monahan- lindholm
Tkachuk - backlund - Ryan
Bennett - jankowski - neal

I think Ryan would fit the second line well, and neal would compliment the third line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Im easy either way.
I think Lindholm's got a tonne of untapped potential. Playing with Johnny will get him a career high. I love Ferland, but Johnny made the guy a 20/20 player (Ferland helped on his end too), but you're talking about a guy who's already a 12/30 guy playing on some dog Carolina teams.

I don't see why he couldn't be a 20/40 guy playing with Johnny. If that's the case, good luck NHL.
Agreed.

I think Lindholm helps Gaudreau & Monahan score more goals. I think Gaudreau would pot 30-35 and Monahan could break 40. But more than anything, I want to see the PP unit with Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal, Lindholm & Giordano. They have the potential to be completely dominant.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I guess we will see, although I would certainly prefer to see it or get it from a reliable source other than Peters.

Well if he plays with Monahan, it seems like he almost wants him to split C duties with Sean. I’m not saying @OvermanKingGainer prophecy of Monahan playing wing is about to come true, but it sounds like Peters wants Lindholm to support Monahan defensively and add another playmaker on that line. Monahan is a shooter, so it makes good sense.

I think Peters is a really innovative coach and plans on having a flex lineup throughout all 4 lines, which in theory should give opposing coaches a fit because they are gonna see so many different looks.

Specially regarding Lindholm, he was drafted to be a top flight center. Yes we have Monahan and Backlund, but it all takes is someone to be better than Backlund or equal to Monahan and that will bump guys down. I think Bennett and Lindholm will get lots of chances to play C this year. The same will go for Czarnik and Ryan.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I agree Hathaway sucks but he is a good guy to have sit in the PB for most of the year and fill in short term for injuries and

I disagree that Lazar sucks and certainly not compared to the other guys mentioned for that spot. I understand bringing in guys to improve the team but just because a guy like Foo hasn't played much in the NHL certainly doesn't make him better. His stats certainly don't make him appear to be better, his sort stint in the NHL definitely doesn't appear to make him better either. I just don't see anything with him to indicate why he should be on a NHL roster or that he is even close to as good, let alone better than Lazar (or really Klimchuk, Dube or Mangiapane.)

He had the same amount of goals on the year as Lazar did in 61 less games. That was with Lazar doubling his goal output from the year before :laugh:. It's about opportunity. Lazar has had plenty of it and has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he'll be a player worth keeping. If they can get him in the AHL and maybe he remembers how to score then he could still carve out a career since he's big and fast. Simply do not see that happening if he's on the 23 man NHL roster.

As much as people want to shit on Brouwer for sucking, he wasn't the most useless player last year. Not even close really. Just the most overpaid. The Flames simply cannot afford to have their bottom 6 be non-contributing zeros this season. Fresh blood, and if they're not getting the job done, then more fresh blood.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Strange post. Klimchuk has just as good of a chance to grab that spot as the other guys mentioned.

Disagree, Dube, Mangiapane and Foo are much better players than Klimchuk. I like Klimchuk and was hoping he'd push for a spot before all the new acquisitions, but I don't see him beating the 5 other guys for the lone spot.

If he comes into camp and blows the doors down though I am 100% for Klimchuk getting the spot, I just don't see Foo, Mangiapane or Dube all having a worse camps than him.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gaudreau - Monahan- lindholm
Tkachuk - backlund - Ryan
Bennett - jankowski - neal

I think Ryan would fit the second line well, and neal would compliment the third line.

Insert Czarnik instead of Ryan. :) If he gets a chance to play with Chucky and Backs, Czarnik will explode offensively.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Lazar sticks simply because he can't go down without being lost to waivers and he well be lost. That's just poor asset management.

In a perfect world, he would go down and one of the kids would get the opportunity, but that's just not going to happen unless they prove without a doubt that they can play at the level needed for the year and not just 5/10/15 games. They know what they have in Lazar and he's serviceable. Risk management is in play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lazar sticks simply because he can't go down without being lost to waivers and he well be lost. That's just poor asset management.

In a perfect world, he would go down and one of the kids would get the opportunity, but that's just not going to happen unless they prove without a doubt that they can play at the level needed for the year and not just 5/10/15 games. They know what they have in Lazar and he's serviceable. Risk management is in play.
Why send Lazar down when he and Hathaway can sit in popcorn row

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Why send Lazar down when he and Hathaway can sit in popcorn row

Yes, you bring in your logic and everything... There is only one spot available if those two sit but the cap is suffering as well. Having another guy up hurts us at cap management. I'll be honest though, I TOTALLY forgot that both can sit.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Disagree, Dube, Mangiapane and Foo are much better players than Klimchuk. I like Klimchuk and was hoping he'd push for a spot before all the new acquisitions, but I don't see him beating the 5 other guys for the lone spot.

If he comes into camp and blows the doors down though I am 100% for Klimchuk getting the spot, I just don't see Foo, Mangiapane or Dube all having a worse camps than him.

Based on what is Foo better than Klimchuk?

Foo is older and worse defensively, offers nothing physically, doesn’t appear to kill penalties and produced the same offensive output as Klimchuk.

Other than being an overrated NCAA UFA what makes him better than Klimchuk let alone much better.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He had the same amount of goals on the year as Lazar did in 61 less games. That was with Lazar doubling his goal output from the year before :laugh:. It's about opportunity. Lazar has had plenty of it and has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he'll be a player worth keeping. If they can get him in the AHL and maybe he remembers how to score then he could still carve out a career since he's big and fast. Simply do not see that happening if he's on the 23 man NHL roster.

As much as people want to **** on Brouwer for sucking, he wasn't the most useless player last year. Not even close really. Just the most overpaid. The Flames simply cannot afford to have their bottom 6 be non-contributing zeros this season. Fresh blood, and if they're not getting the job done, then more fresh blood.

Foo scored two goals in meaningless games where he was force fed big minutes and treated as a bit of a mascot with guys trying to get him points. He looked badly out of place even in those watered down games.

Lazar might not threaten for the Art Ross but he is a effective forecheck, defensively responsible and not a liability like Brouwer was every shift.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Foo scored two goals in meaningless games where he was force fed big minutes and treated as a bit of a mascot with guys trying to get him points. He looked badly out of place even in those watered down games.

Lazar might not threaten for the Art Ross but he is a effective forecheck, defensively responsible and not a liability like Brouwer was every shift.

Sure they were meaningless games and it's an extremely small sample size but you just plain wrong in saying "he looked badly out of place".

In his 4 games, he averaged 4 shots a game, had dominant possession stats and scoring chance rates, the highest expected goals for per 60 minutes out of any Flames player this season @ 1.21 (although again, extremely small sample size but notable in this instance). His game score per 60 minutes (3.62) was also by far the best on the Flames.

So while they were 4 meaningless games and those numbers aren't necessarily indicative of what Foo's numbers would look like over a full NHL season, saying he looked badly out of place in his 4 games is just a stupid (understatement) thing to say when all of his numbers suggest he was excellent in those 4 games.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Sure they were meaningless games and it's an extremely small sample size but you just plain wrong in saying "he looked badly out of place".

In his 4 games, he averaged 4 shots a game, had dominant possession stats and scoring chance rates, the highest expected goals for per 60 minutes out of any Flames player this season @ 1.21 (although again, extremely small sample size but notable in this instance). His game score per 60 minutes (3.62) was also by far the best on the Flames.

So while they were 4 meaningless games and those numbers aren't necessarily indicative of what Foo's numbers would look like over a full NHL season, saying he looked badly out of place in his 4 games is just a stupid (understatement) thing to say when all of his numbers suggest he was excellent in those 4 games.

If that is what “the numbers” say it is just evidence of how useless they are as Foo was bad. Not his fault he just isn’t an NHL quality player.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

To start with, I really don’t view this as a 5 guy competition. We will be in the exact same position as last year with a bottom 6 that didn’t contribute much of anything if either of Lazar or Hathaway are regulars.

I’d have trouble putting Dube on the 4th line. The guy needs development time to reach his ceiling, which is a middle 6 (top 6 tweener).

So I’d say it’s a 3 horse race at this point between Mangiapane, Klimchuk and Foo. At this point none of them are bad options, and I don’t see any one of them having a giant advantage.

Last edited:

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
As opposed to the “proof” you provided?

Lmao yes, I did actually provide proof. Thanks for noticing.

Hilarious how you just push aside the legitimate proof I put forth and don't back down off of your ridiculous stance that has absolutely zero evidence.

But you do you, mate. As delusional as your way may be.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Lazar will be put on waivers at the start of the year (to be sent down). Treliving will live with the mistake and won't keep Lazar on the roster just to save face. He sucks and has 0% to make the Flames roster this year.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Lazar will be put on waivers at the start of the year (to be sent down). Treliving will live with the mistake and won't keep Lazar on the roster just to save face. He sucks and has 0% to make the Flames roster this year.

Wrong! Lazar will be on the top line scoring all the goals!

Honestly, unless the others can outplay with consistency before their time in up (10 reg games) I don't see it happening. I'm not saying it won't happen and I didn't say it won't happen. The kids just have to prove themselves. I truly hope one of them kick butt as it's good for the team. Hell, I hope Lazar takes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia