Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #4 - It’s Getting Better All The Time (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Per Luongo and the Panthers. They currently have just under 8m tied up in goalies. They desperately need to add one and Bob is a top tender they can get without trading assets. Let's say Bob gets 8m a year, that would bring them to 70m on cap without re-signing any players. They mostly have depth guys going off contract and some larger contracts like McGinn they probably won't re-sign. But still have 6 expiring spots. That gives them around 13m to play with, Panarin will pretty be 8-10m. Those two additions make it pretty tight to add many other players. Now even after adding both big names they can easily keep Hoffman for the remainder of his contract so it is more dependent on ownership spending that much money and the hopes that they can fill those 6 spots with the remaining 3-5m and internally.

Luongo + Hoffman gives them 10m to gain flexibility or play with, allowing them to add a guy like MoJo and Gardiner in free agency on top of the big name acquisitions. Hoffman was pretty much a free asset for them, gaining anything for him is a win.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think you're being pretty modest there with the salaries as well. I'm expecting 10 for Bob and closer to 10 than 8 for Bread.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you're being pretty modest there with the salaries as well. I'm expecting 10 for Bob and closer to 10 than 8 for Bread.
I wouldn't give Bob 10 unless it is a very short term.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Could we see a Datsyuk like move with the Ducks?

To Anaheim
-14th overall pick
-Kevin Connauton ($1.5 mil cash owed)
-45th overall pick

To Arizona
-8th overall pick
-LTIR Ryan Kesler ($1.335 mil cash owed after insurance)

This is very much throwing shit against the wall in month 1 of 6 of the offseason. But it allows us to move up 6 spots and it clears all kinds of cap room for the Ducks.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Conor Garland was shipped down to Tucson today for the last three games. Roadrunners are in a close fight for a playoff spot.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

I don't think many teams will be in the market for Bob for him to have much say in his contract price, which is why I think it is going to be around 8. Agreed that Panarin will be on the 10m side of my estimates though. They may be able to convince him to sign for around 8.5 using the tax break as leverage but I'd put money on 9.5-11.

Could we see a Datsyuk like move with the Ducks?

To Anaheim
-14th overall pick
-Kevin Connauton ($1.5 mil cash owed)
-45th overall pick

To Arizona
-8th overall pick
-LTIR Ryan Kesler ($1.335 mil cash owed after insurance)

This is very much throwing **** against the wall in month 1 of 6 of the offseason. But it allows us to move up 6 spots and it clears all kinds of cap room for the Ducks.

I would do this in a second but I'm not sure the Ducks are looking to be a contender anymore, probably a retool team until Perry and Getzlaf are shells of themselves, which makes the top ten pick more valuable. Unless they are going to try to grab a Lee or Karlsson in free agency, I don't know why the cap space would be worth moving down 6 spots for. Detroit only moved down what two spots for us to take Dats contract and we added a pick.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
One year of Hoffman isn't worth the 8th OA and I really have no idea why Huberdeau would be available. Those rumors linking us to him were very strange but they also came out before him and Barkov really blew up at the end of the season. If he was available I wonder how far off this is.

To AZ: Huberdeau + Luongo
To FLD: 14th OA + POJ + Fischer + Merkley

Does Luongo's salary offset this enough?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How far off is Fischer for Hoffman+Luongo?

They're not going to find any other team who can take 10 mil off their books in one shot.

So in a way it's basically Hoffman+Luongo for Fischer+Bobrovsky or Fischer+Panarin.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't think it's too far off. It let's Florida pick up one of those depth spots they are losing this season with an ELC player who has already been able to pot goals in the NHL, while freeing up the space and salary needed to grab both of the Russians.

Maybe we can add a defensive prospect like Dineen so we can sign Hoefenmayer.

Edit: peaked at the Florida roster thread. Some posters want to keep Hoffman others see it as good asset management to flip him now for assets before he is too expensive to re-sign (something we may need to be cautious of not overpaying for). They see the extra cap space from Hoffman can be used as an upgrade for defense. More reason why a Fischer or ELC player is more valuable to them.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How far off is Fischer for Hoffman+Luongo?

They're not going to find any other team who can take 10 mil off their books in one shot.

So in a way it's basically Hoffman+Luongo for Fischer+Bobrovsky or Fischer+Panarin.
I think we’d need to add the 45th overall at least. Which I think is okay. We could just buy-out Luongo and it would be negligible on the budget.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No on giving up our first for Hoffman. We'd be a laughingstock like Ottawa. Only a team in serious contention to win it all should give up a 1st for a rental.

rt

May 13, 2004
I probably would still do it, even if Hoffman is just a year long rental.

Who do you like more Hoffman or Zucker?
It’s an interesting question. Hoffman is one-dimensional. He scores goals. He does so consistently and at even strength and on the PP. he’s a prolific PP scorer. He’d be a hyper-targeted acquisition for one very specific and glaring need.

Zucker is more well-rounded. He brings a little energy and gusto to the game. He’s better on the forecheck and backcheck. He’s more involved in the game. Hoffman is invisible until he scores. It’s how he scores. Zucker is noticeable. He’s out there working. That’s how he scores. He’s also less consistent with game-to-game production and is prone to hot and cold streaks.

Zucker has averaged 24g/82gp in the NHL and Hoffman is at 28g/82gp.

In a vacuum I’d give the slight edge to Zucker based on the factors above. Given the Coyotes specific needs I’d give the slight edge to Hoffman based on the factors above. But that’s not the full story. There are other factors:

Hoffman has been involved in a major controversy. Zucker has not.

Hoffman is two years and two months older than Zucker.

Hoffman has one year left on his deal while Zucker has four years remaining on his.

For all of those reasons, I have a sizable preference for Zucker over Hoffman. I think they’re close to a coin toss on the ice. Off the ice, I think Zucker takes it by a mile.

Reactions: Edenjung

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Any interest in Hagelin? Not a great scorer but he's got wheels, and is a beast on the forecheck. Maybe if we can't get a scorer we go for him, he seems to like he'd fit the Tocchet system well.

rt

May 13, 2004
Any interest in Hagelin? Not a great scorer but he's got wheels, and is a beast on the forecheck. Maybe if we can't get a scorer we go for him, he seems to like he'd fit the Tocchet system well.
I think Cousins and Archibald, etc are fine for that. I loved Hagelin I’m college and am a big fan. We’ve got plenty of guys who fill that role already. Seems like change for the sake of it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think Cousins and Archibald, etc are fine for that. I loved Hagelin I’m college and am a big fan. We’ve got plenty of guys who fill that role already. Seems like change for the sake of it.
We have Kempe. No thanks

I didn't realize how few goals he scored, I double checked his stats after seeing you guys mention him along with Kempe cousins and archie. I think the success of that HBK line made me think of him as a decent scorer.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd take him even now easily over Kempe and probably Archibald. Archibald had a great year, but we've had lots of flash in the pan fourth liners. Hagelin is a good defensive forward and PKer year-in and year-out.
Had a knee injury midseason, got bounced between three teams. Not a great year, but had 3 goals and 11 points in 20 games once he settled down in Washington.
I think 10-20-30 is still a reasonable expectation expect in a full year. His offense is streaky as they come, but he's always relentless on D. He's a lot like Grabner on defense. Extremely disruptive player. Full speed, all the time. Constantly breaking up plays. Coach just winds him up and lets him go. You always notice those two on the ice.

Obviously depends on his contract demands, but unless he explodes in the playoffs his down year might help.

Grabner-Richardson, Dvo-Hagelin is a pretty potent pk.

Last edited:

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Any thoughts on trying to get in on Jeff Skinner as a UFA? Or is he too rich for our blood and too sought after by other teams? The Coyotes need some goals and that's pretty much all he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad