Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread III (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Helleson is a decent pick expected to be drafted in the 3rd round, but better players were available. ie. M. Robertson, S. Fagemo, B. Leason and H. Jones. Should have combined with the 3rd and traded up

Steinburg was a completely wasted pick....:mad:

"better players" = prospects higher on consensus rankings that Patagonia looked up before the draft :sarcasm:

Reactions: chet1926 and Ivan13

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's an interesting perspective, but ultimately I tend to agree with this opinion.
I'm all for a fine line between both, I think analytics can be useful when you're scouting a player and noticed that in a game he is very good at zone entries. You then look up his numbers and see if that's the case or if it was just based on one game. Problem with him is I trust that he watches the players, but you can tell in his videos that he's more on the number side in the spectrum of the two and it clouds his judgement.

I personally don't really dive deep into them, but there are some stats which I consider very important such as even strength points compared to powerplay points and others alike.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I never understand why Sakic let N.Robertson for Helleson

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
"better players" = prospects higher on consensus rankings that Patagonia looked up before the draft :sarcasm:
Seriously. I love how everyone knows who is the better player is before any of them have developed or played a NHL game.

Time will tell on these picks it's impossible to know how it plays out until 4-5+ years down the road.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs are garbage when it comes to drafting outside the sexy positions. Wouldn't expect much from anyone they draft after the 1st round, their record says it all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is a good draft recap using some analytics but is reasonable about it. In general I think Scouching does good work on the draft and prospects too.

I watched a bit of that and kept wondering whether he actually had any coffee in that coffee cup or not.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
With how heavily the USHL was scouted, there is almost no chance that Helleson would have fallen to the 3rd round. I liked the pick.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
With how heavily the USHL was scouted, there is almost no chance that Helleson would have fallen to the 3rd round. I liked the pick.
Same, Quite curious to see how he does with a larger role. Might have more offensiveness to his game we haven't really gotten to see yet.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Saying you’d rather Helleson was a 3rd round pick is akin to saying you’d rather Newhook was a 2nd rounder. Completely oblivious.

I also love how he first called it a terrible pick, then a very good pick after he probably read something about him and now he’s back rabbling on about how it should’ve been a 3rd rounder. Make up your mind and stick to the same narrative already.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Helleson is a good choice, but better options were available. I rather they combined with the OTT-3rd and moved up a few spots.
Just not too excited about this pick.

AVs are just terrible beyond the 1st round, glad in getting both my choices Byram/Newhook. Could have been a disaster with Podkolzin/Caufield as future busts.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Caufield a bust :laugh:

Kids gonna be the 3rd best forward to come out of the draft.
You do realize that saying he is going to be the third best forward from the draft is just as bold of a statement as someone saying he'll bust.

Either prediction could be correct seeing as how he has never even played a game.

Personally I feel your statement of he'll be the 3rd best forward is more far fetched because I lean towards the Caufield has a lot to prove at the NHL level group.

Reactions: Foxtail

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I can't understand why Dorofeyev has been a 3rd round pick and some expert call him top 50 prospect

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can't understand why Dorofeyev has been a 3rd round pick and some expert call him top 50 prospect

Because scouting is an imperfect science where not everybody agrees. Entirely possible to believe that somebody picked in the 3rd is better than somebody picked in the 1st. Happens all the time.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because scouting is an imperfect science where not everybody agrees. Entirely possible to believe that somebody picked in the 3rd is better than somebody picked in the 1st. Happens all the time.

Although in this case it's exclusively because of his MHL production and the undue hype he got from contrarians wanting to claim that that production made him a better NHL prospect than Pod. I have no clue what people see in Dorofyev that's at all special. At best the kid has a low-end 2nd line skillset & hockey-mind.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yeah, guys are considered reaches (Beecher going to Boston) and guys who tumble (Kaliyev) so it stands to reason vast disagreements like that will happen.

And y'know what, sometimes, albeit rarely, the best player or one of the best players in a given draft is someone not picked in the first round.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Although in this case it's exclusively because of his MHL production and the undue hype he got from contrarians wanting to claim that that production made him a better NHL prospect than Pod. I have no clue what people see in Dorofyev that's at all special. At best the kid has a low-end 2nd line skillset & hockey-mind.

I get what you're saying, and in this case, I don't agree with the ranking.... but there are vastly different opinions all around. Not everyone sees things the same, and nobody is always right.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I know but i talk about a guy pick 79th and hockey news choose him in 50 best prospect. Ķaut is 43th and Dorofeyev 48th and Stienburg is 23546th...I have some problem with Helleson and Stienburg pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig